New interactive game at MK? - Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
Saw this on Screamscape:

Park News - (7/19/11) The Magic Kingdom is preparing to launch a new interactive game called Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, similar in concept to the KimPossible game at Epcot. Sorcerers is said to eventually offer three quests, and it looks like the first one may go into Adventureland, though the Firehouse on Main Street may be repurposed as the game’s Headquarters. Read more details over at Disney At Work.

And the linked article:

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Underway

In a MousePlanet article back in April I announced that new interactive games would soon be established throughout many of the Disney parks and resorts. Similar to the concepts around the KimPossible World Showcase Adventures, participants would search around for clues that would come to life as they unscramble a mystery themed to that park land or resort.

In a few weeks work will be underway on the first of these at the Magic Kingdom. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, a name trademarked back in 2010, will have games themed to each land. It's believed that the first land to receive this will be Adventureland, followed by Frontierland.

To make this happen, a major staging area will need to be created. Word has been out on the street that the store at the Firehouse on Main Street, U.S.A. is closing soon. That is because the Firehouse will be remodeled to be the headquarters of the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom games. The theming will stay a firehouse, it will simply be repurposed as a gaming headquarters. Thus, the donation of fire patches can still be a part of the firehouse's legacy.

Unlike the Kim Possible games at Epcot, these games apparently won't involve cell phones or electronic pads. Rather, guests will be given cards that will signal or provide QR and/or RFID codes in some way. The card codes will randomly signal a new game and will carry the code necessary for you to successfully carry the game through to completion. It is similar to the Mickey Midship Detective Agency aboard the Disney Dream, where using your badge you move around the ship showing a 2-D bar-code that would take you through the particular sequence of that game. This way guests will not have to carry or return a phone or electronic piece of equipment.

When Disney's new Alauni resort opens, interactive games are planned as part of that experience as well along the Menehune Adventure Trail. Because those playing the games will be guests of the hotels (and will have their credit cards on file), it's easier to upgrade the games so that they use an electronic pad (not an iPad) to work through the activity. Therefore, those activities will have a much greater electronic interface involved.

Returning to the Magic Kingdom, these games are not just a "nice-to-have" on the side. They are part of a major strategy to better direct the guest experience as the park has had to close off areas and in anticipation of capacity increases as the park premieres new attractions over the next couple of years. Already the park has been struggling to maintain the upkeep as it has taken down many areas. Much has been said in recent weeks on Disney Fan Boards about the condition of park attractions like Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. With the major closure of Toon Town Fair at the Magic Kingdom, as well as lesser attended areas in Fantasyland (Ariel's Grotto and Pooh's Playful Spot) for the new major Fantasyland additions, it is simply difficult for the park to close and rehab major attractions. The park has tried to compensate by creating a new meet and greet experience in Town Square and by trying additional parade and show times to the schedule. This is one additional effort in that guest management strategy.

Remember, even though Magic Kingdom's attendance in 2011 was soft with a 1.5% decline in attendance, it still reigns supreme as the number one park in attendance in the world. There has been much positive (for good reason) about how Disney California Adventure has managed the crowds with a major expansion going on throughout, but keep in mind that there are more than 10 million people going through the Magic Kingdom's gates each year (16.97) compared with DCA (6.29). Meanwhile, Disneyland, who is second in attendance (15.98), can take down attractions (as it did for several months with Splash Mountain) because its core audience is return guests and annual pass holders who ride those attractions all the time, as opposed to those attending the Magic Kingdom, whose opportunity to visit and ride an attraction like Splash is either a first time event, or a once every several year event.

Therefore, the demand on the Magic Kingdom is much greater. Sorcerers in the Magic Kingdom and other efforts right now are the most strategic way to soften the blow of taking down attractions for refurbishment. And when Fantasyland Forest opens, it will be an important key to occupy the huge (and perhaps all time record) attendance boost that park will soon be receiving.

http://disneyatwork.blogspot.com/2011/07/sorcerers-of-magic-kingdom-underway.html

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This one has been floating around for a while now. It is interesting to see someone having some more specific info. Sounds promising!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
This one has been floating around for a while now. It is interesting to see someone having some more specific info. Sounds promising!

Here is one of the photos from the second article, of a potential sign to be used in the game. Sorry I forgot to transfer it over in my op:

IMG_2445.jpg

devoy1701

In the words of Spock....Facinating...

Sounds like a good move. Will wait and see how it plays out. The article specifically mentions adding this offering to be able to deal with capacity issues and give Park Ops time to perform much needed maintenance on attractions. I hope the latter part of that holds true since it must just be the author of the blog adding in some of his own deductions.

I also like that this does not involve having to pick up an additional phone like Kim Possible.

Can't wait for more info! :wave:

HornsofaSteer

This is going to be so cool. I am really excited about this because it will give a chance to simply explore the park on a new adventure. Great article!

puntagordabob

Sounds like this could be a lot of fun for the children and for us "older" children too :) I hope they have part of the game on TSI since it would encourage Guests to explore there...

MissM

But if you need a smartphone to play the game and they don't give you anything to decode the signs, only people who have a smartphone can participate? That sucks. My phone is old and crappy and can't do those code things.

NewfieFan

Sounds like this could be a lot of fun for the children and for us "older" children too :) I hope they have part of the game on TSI since it would encourage Guests to explore there...

A quest on TSI would be cool!

So, do you have to have a smart phone to play these or just the card with the RFID in it?

All this sounds very interesting and something my family would love to participate in!

Buried20KLeague

The only thing that bothers me about the Kim Possible game at Epcot is when there are a lot of people playing, it's very very hard to avoid seeing the "effect" and answer before you actually should.

I worry that this will be an even bigger problem at the MK because with a much larger, kid-focused crowd, it stands to reason there will be the maximum number of participants at all times.

I'm not sure how you get around it... But I can see it being an issue.

Also, with the Kim Possible game, there virtually no reason to repeat the games more than once. Once you've done it, it's over. I'd imagine this will be the same way, which would be disappointing. Again, not sure how to get around that... But I'm also not the imagineer. :animwink:

Lee

Adventurer
Yep. This has been in the works for a couple of years. Good to see movement.

But if you need a smartphone to play the game and they don't give you anything to decode the signs, only people who have a smartphone can participate? That sucks. My phone is old and crappy and can't do those code things.
Much of what Disney is working on with the NextGen project will require a smart device of some sort. Supposedly you would be able to "rent" one while at the park if you didn't already have one.

Also, with the Kim Possible game, there virtually no reason to repeat the games more than once. Once you've done it, it's over. I'd imagine this will be the same way, which would be disappointing. Again, not sure how to get around that... But I'm also not the imagineer. :animwink:
You really can't get around it.
Kim Possible is not made for repeat plays. It is intended for those guests who do not visit on a regular basis, or maybe only once every 5-10 years.

NewfieFan

The only thing that bothers me about the Kim Possible game at Epcot is when there are a lot of people playing, it's very very hard to avoid seeing the "effect" and answer before you actually should.

I worry that this will be an even bigger problem at the MK because with a much larger, kid-focused crowd, it stands to reason there will be the maximum number of participants at all times.

I'm not sure how you get around it... But I can see it being an issue.

But isn't there different tasks within each country? I did the same country twice a few times and I remember a task or two that was different from the first time I played it! It's not a completely new mission but at least it can be "mixed up" a little.

Buried20KLeague

But isn't there different tasks within each country? I did the same country twice a few times and I remember a task or two that was different from the first time I played it! It's not a completely new mission but at least it can be "mixed up" a little.

I think the only thing "different" about them is the order you can do the countries in. The same thing is always in each one.

devoy1701

I think the only thing "different" about them is the order you can do the countries in. The same thing is always in each one.

There actually is a bit of variation within each country as well. I think they all go from Point A through Point F for instance, but they all don't necessary go A-B-C-D-E-F. I think this was true atleast for the Norway Pavilion.

Captain Chaos

The Kim Possible game is pretty popular, right??? I can see a game like this going over very well in the MK... Not my cup of tea, but still sounds like a very promising addition...

dreamscometrue

There actually is a bit of variation within each country as well. I think they all go from Point A through Point F for instance, but they all don't necessary go A-B-C-D-E-F. I think this was true atleast for the Norway Pavilion.

It's even more varied than that. They may be 6 'effects' or so for each country, but you don't get them all on each mission. At least that's been our experience. We've done the same country more than once (completed the mission too), and actually had some different effects, not just a change in their order.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom