Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

jt04

This makes good sense for cost and maintenance reasons. But people are going to have the usual reactions. From my perspective though, decisions like this are absolutely essential to how the resort can best function in the future. In this economy something has to give.

Gotta go.

COProgressFan

This makes good sense for cost and maintenance reasons. But people are going to have the usual reactions. From my perspective though, decisions like this are absolutely essential to how the resort can best function in the future. In this economy something has to give.

Gotta go.

I guess this is the "usual reaction" that you are expecting, but this makes good sense for anyone who isn't going to Extra Magic Hours and isn't staying at a monorail resort.....

So if you shell out at least $400+ a night for your monorail resort room, you can enjoy a bus ride back if you stay in the park too late?! I would be very annoyed.

That said, clearly this is due to a maintenance concern. The monorails apparently are running too long during the day and need maintenance. We have all heard the reports as of late regarding monorail troubles. If this is a temporary measure where maint. is taking place overnight for a few months, it makes sense to do so. If it is a situation where the monorails can't keep up with the operating demands, then that is a problem Disney needs to rectify.

SeaCastle

Is it really that much cheaper to use diesel powered ferryboats solely to get to the TTC rather than monorails? I can't imagine that this decision will cut down the bottlenecks and long lines at the Entrance Plaza when the park closes.

cbconglom

let me get this strait. So if a person, not me, decides to pay 1000 a night for a room they can't make a monorail available to take them back to it? I guess this is why I stay at the four star Hilton parc soleil for 105 a night

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I guess this is the "usual reaction" that you are expecting, but this makes good sense for anyone who isn't going to Extra Magic Hours and isn't staying at a monorail resort.....

So if you shell out at least $400+ a night for your monorail resort room, you can enjoy a bus ride back if you stay in the park too late?! I would be very annoyed.

That said, clearly this is due to a maintenance concern. The monorails apparently are running too long during the day and need maintenance. We have all heard the reports as of late regarding monorail troubles. If this is a temporary measure where maint. is taking place overnight for a few months, it makes sense to do so. If it is a situation where the monorails can't keep up the operating demands, then that is a problem Disney needs to rectify.

They don't offer bus service to the monorail resorts- its boat service to Poly and Grand Floridian or a walkway to Contemporary.

Edit to add- I wasn't even thinking about Epcot. Obviously they will have to add buses to get monorail resort guests to and from Epcot during EMH.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If this is a temporary measure where maint. is taking place overnight for a few months, it makes sense to do so. If it is a situation where the monorails can't keep up with the operating demands, then that is a problem Disney needs to rectify.

It is expected to be a permanent change.

PirateFrank

I have no problem with this decision.....from a maintenance standpoint, it makes perfect sense to bring the monorails offline for more than 4-5 hours a day.

However, I will say that it can sometimes (during heavy park times) take more than an hour to get out of the MK (not so much epcot) after park close. I'm not sure 60 minutes is going to be effective. Perhaps 90 minutes is a better number....

Spike-in-Berlin

If I stay at the Poly or Contemporary I pay a LOT of money for the amenities included in these resorts and one of the amenities is the monorail. I also pay to stay at an overpriced Disney resort because I want to use the EMH. So I expect that the monorail brings me to the MK and back during the EMH too, the same goes for EPCOT.
If these are "usual reactions" to some commentators here because TDO again cuts down services for the guests and still dares to raise prices for both the parks and the resorts, then I don't give a damn about, I AM very annoyed and I think everyone who pays for the monorail resorts should be too.

Kamikaze

And this, my friends, signals one thing more than anything else:

The monorail system will never be expanded at WDW.

Pioneer Hall

I'm not a fan of the move, but I do understand it. I wonder if above average monorail breakdowns have caused this policy to come about. Running those things for 18+ hours a day cannot be good for them.

nolatron

They could at least keep the resort line open but skip the TTC stop after the 1 hour mark.

At least this way monorail resort guests can get back to their resorts without worrying about TTC hoppers.

wickedfan07

From an operations perspective, it makes sense. The monorails do run long hours most days, especially the monorails serving the Magic Kingdom. It makes sense to limit those extremely long days so that maintenance can occur. As nice as it would be to have the monorails running so late, we do live in the real world, and in the real world stuff breaks.

Think about it. If you drove your car from 7 or 8am until 1/2/3am every day for the entire year (or even just the summer), it would probably need maintenance, too. I'm not expert on how machines work, but it makes sense. Hopefully the cutback in service is due to increased maintenance and not just to avoid having to pay monorail CMs into the middle of the night.

It would be nice if there were two monorails running through Evening EMH, one at Epcot and one on the Resort loop. That way Resort Guests could still enjoy monorail service (even with a longer wait). And you'd only need to run the Epcot monorail on their EMH nights, so it'd really be only two or three nights a week where you've got an extra monorail on the beam anyway. They could check for resort ID at the station and only let Guests staying on the beam on the monorail. Nine or ten monorails can be in for nightly maintenance while one or two pull the late shift. they all can't fit in the monorail shop at the same time anyway.

BrittanyRose428

I don't like this at all. :eek: I can understand why they're doing this, but if we're not at Shades of Green we usually stay at a monorail resort. Part of why my family chooses to stay at a monorail resort is because of the convenience of it. Even though I could easily walk to the Contemporary after a day in the parks not everyone in my family is a strong walker and they would not be thrilled about doing this. =/

pumpkin7

i can see where they are coming from but i think they should rotate one train still running throughout the resort loop. after all, if you want to pay extra to stay on the loop, then i think it's only fair that you can easily get back to your hotel using the monorail. especially if they aren't going to put a bus service on instead.

BrittanyRose428

i can see where they are coming from but i think they should rotate one train still running throughout the resort loop. after all, if you want to pay extra to stay on the loop, then i think it's only fair that you can easily get back to your hotel using the monorail. especially if they aren't going to put a bus service on instead.
Even if they put a bus service it still doesn't seem right that someone is paying to stay at a monorail resort and they're taking a bus back from MK. :veryconfu

wickedfan07

I have never stayed at a monorail resort. In fact, I usually stay at my family's off-property timeshare. As a result, I'm not too concerned about this change personally. However, if you are someone who stays at a monorail resort, I think the best thing to do is to tell WDW that you're unhappy with the change, either in writing or by voting with your wallet and opting to stay at a resort that's not on the monorail loop. If enough people stopped staying in monorail resorts and cited more limited (and unreliable at the rate we're going lately) service as their reason for switching to a different resort, I think the powers that be might do something about the complaints. If you're experiencing (or will experience) substandard service at a deluxe monorail resort, you might as well save money and stay at a moderate resort. At least its more likely you'd be getting the services you paid for.

If Disney can still make the same amount of money at the monorail resorts with the reduced EMH service (and the same old monorail fleet the needs work and probably a replacement), then they'll continue to operate as they have been. Until there is a significant financial reason to fix it, nothing will happen. That's just the way things seem to be right now.

Computer Magic

How many years has MK or EPCOT been open until 2am. WDW just now implement this policy? Does not sound like maintenance is the issue but a way to cut cost or cost avoidance. Doesn't effect me as i never stay at a monorail resort and now it sounds like I won't. I would want quick transportation paying that amount of money.

Maybe Disney should invest in a few more monorails so the same ones are not always running? Okay, I already know that answer. I buy 10 suites and rotate them for work so they last longer.

They could at least keep the resort line open but skip the TTC stop after the 1 hour mark.

At least this way monorail resort guests can get back to their resorts without worrying about TTC hoppers.

At the very least. Imagine spending $500 a night, in part for a service that you can't use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom