Millionaire to be closed and Replaced w/ ride.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Here's the info I just read from "Marcie" who is the mouseinfo.com Disney insider type. She gives good info and has an excellent track record. She's refering to "Midway Mania" (working name) opening at DCA.

For the sake of discussion, Midway Mania, as it is known right now, is slated for an early summer opening in 2008 with WDW's version opening a few month prior in what is now the Millionaire attraction there. Yes, that means Millionaire is marked for closing at the Disney/MGM Studios to make way for this new attraction.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
It is a dark ride of some sort - wether that be more like Pooh/Pan or Test Track who knows.

I think it's supposed to be interactive in some way too.

KrazyKemp

I never cared much for Millionaire anyway...

Never even got on the frigging leaderboard...

Much less in the hot seat...

I really wanted those neat Disney prizes too...

But I'm not holding a grudge or anything...:brick:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
More info...

Refering to DCA's version...

Yes and it is slated for the open pad behind Screamin (near the parade float building). The entrance would be somewhere on the boardwalk next to the Strips, Chips N Dips place.

The latest plan for the attraction is to make it an interactive ride where guests fire a gun at objects that pop up on screens as the vehicle moves through the attraction. It is more like a cross between Buzz, Roger Rabbit, and the Vitural Pirates at DisneyQuest.

And the characters are all themed around Toy Story, but minus Buzz himself. That was the latest I know from a few months back.

This could attraction could begin construction within the next 6-8 months if it gets approved. John Lassiter was up at WDI this past week reviewing this attraction and Incredibles.

nibblesandbits

Well, I guess it is time...although I have seen Millionare bring people in...most recently this past January. But, if it's time, it's time. However there is nothing like seeing your fiance down there in the hot seat after guessing his way there! :lol:

(Darn the fact that he didn't win the cruise! :lol: )

dandaman

Never been in the hot seat before, but that is still one of my favourite attractions. (Partly because I'm in the top 10 almost every time. :lol: )

imagineer boy

Man, that would be a really good place to put Monsters Inc. Why do they have to put it in tomorrowland?

Anyway, I'm kinda glad to see it go. The TV show its self is no where near as popular as it once was, and that made the ride out dated.

Computer Magic

I love the fact that new attractions/rides is going into MGM. But I don't think replacing WWTBAM first is the answer.

There are many other attractions (empty buildings) that need attention first.....cough *sounds Dangerous* cough..The only thing Sounds Dangerous is good for is a little nap during a hot summer day. :snore:

And what about the building they show ABC/Disney coming attractions in :brick:

Let's face it MGM is now the half day park and needs some work.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
KrazyKemp said:
Perhaps you know something about this "Midway Mania", eh?

The ride system,and interactive nature of it yes, but the storyline remains a bit of a mystery, and the info I have doesnt match the Midway Mania scenario. The info I currently have would fit into the rumor status, so until I can confirm things up a bit more, I wouldnt be posting the info. As things tend to spiral out of control with wild rumors, as we've seen many times before!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, according to Marcie today/yesterday whatever it will be got approved recently. The Toy Story theme was an option during planning a month or two ago - so that mgiht not be true.

Whatever it is, it's some sort of interactive dark ride.

kcnole

I have two problems with this. One as much as something better needs to go in the millionaire studio, that show is still infinitely better than that crappy sound's dangerous show. Please get rid of that pile of fesces that is sounds dangerous.

Secondly, I want a dark ride in MGM badly, but I'm not too pleased with an idea of a buzz lightyear clone type ride. I'd rather see something new. I'm still praying to the God's that be that one day, we get the Indiana Jones ride down here. As I don't see me ever making it to Anaheim, at least not in the next ten years, I'd love to be able to experience that here.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
kcnole said:
I have two problems with this. One as much as something better needs to go in the millionaire studio, that show is still infinitely better than that crappy sound's dangerous show. Please get rid of that pile of fesces that is sounds dangerous.

Secondly, I want a dark ride in MGM badly, but I'm not too pleased with an idea of a buzz lightyear clone type ride. I'd rather see something new. I'm still praying to the God's that be that one day, we get the Indiana Jones ride down here. As I don't see me ever making it to Anaheim, at least not in the next ten years, I'd love to be able to experience that here.

I think the problem is that Sounds Dangerous is too small and it'd need ABC TV theatre too, which is still in use by the company for various events. Whereas by 2008 no one (well, the general public) will care at all about Millionaire.

KrazyKemp

kcnole said:

While I agree that Sounds Dangerous isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'm pretty sure that it still brings in crowds. (Especially after a showing of the Indiana Jones Stunt Show) and hundreds of people get in line for it.

I don't believe I have ever seen Millionaire as unpopular as it is right now...they will more than likely close this attraction, bring in this new "Midway Mania" ride and then consider other possibilites for the park.

As it has been stated, Disney Studios is now the "half day" park...and a great new E-Ticket ride would do it.

I just don't see one coming in the next few years...especially any form of an Indiana Jones ride.

IMHO of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom