Disney Diet Buddies...

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster
Original Poster
Hi Guys,

I am looking to shift the pounds before my next trip in feb. Just looking for some like minded people out there to talk to?

Anybody trying to be a skinny minnie like me?

ggauthier82

I'll join you! I've lost 31 lbs since September 2010, but I still have 12 lbs to lose before taking off to WDW on August 16th.

What's your goal?

bmarkelon

I feel like I'm always trying to lose for Disney! I've lost 10 since our last October trip and have 5-10 more to go before our trip in August. It gets harder and harder to get it off and keep it off after each baby.

ggauthier82

I think the challenge will be keeping the lbs off on the Disney Dining Plan!! I don't want to come home with unwanted "souvenirs"!! :lookaroun

bmarkelon

I think the challenge will be keeping the lbs off on the Disney Dining Plan!! I don't want to come home with unwanted "souvenirs"!! :lookaroun

So true, I always just cross my fingers that all the extra walking through the parks balances things out. I'm usually pretty surprised that I don't take home new weight! Because when I'm on vacation there is no way that I'm dieting!!!

ggauthier82

So true, I always just cross my fingers that all the extra walking through the parks balances things out. I'm usually pretty surprised that I don't take home new weight! Because when I'm on vacation there is no way that I'm dieting!!!

I gain so quickly, I don't think I can just cross my fingers... we are going for 12 days, so I think I'm going to have to be reasonable at least every other day, and indulge once every 2 days. I looked at the menus and there seems to be a lot of "no sugar-added" dessert options and substitutes for fries, so the plan is to try those as often as possible...

We'll see how that goes once I'm faced with all the wonderful food.... :hammer:

bmarkelon

I gain so quickly, I don't think I can just cross my fingers... we are going for 12 days, so I think I'm going to have to be reasonable at least every other day, and indulge once every 2 days. I looked at the menus and there seems to be a lot of "no sugar-added" dessert options and substitutes for fries, so the plan is to try those as often as possible...

We'll see how that goes once I'm faced with all the wonderful food.... :hammer:

I hear ya! I forgot about the length of stay being a factor, our next trip is 11 nights too...our longest one yet! Yikes, also the first trip in a few that we opted not to do the Deluxe Dining. Hopefully that will help to back off the eating. Be strong, I will try too!

accord99cutie

Premium Member
I am also trying to lose weight before our next trip, I have about 5 months to lose 40lbs. I would be happy with 30, but I'm aiming for 40! I joined loseit.com and I just do the calorie counting and exercise thing. I have lost 5lbs in about 2 weeks. Not as much as I was hoping for, but after 2 kiddos, working fulltime, and having to take care of both my kids during the night there is no time for the gym so I rely solely on walking and exercise DVD's.

ggauthier82

Hi guys. Check out our running board at http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128
I know running may not be your thing, but lots of us in there started from nothing and now can run 5ks, half marathons, full marathons, and some cases - crazy long ultra marathons.

Thanks for the information. I don't like running very much. The only reason I would be tempted to start running would be to run at a DisneyWorld event! :ROFLOL:

I have been going to the gym for the past 7 months and it's working out well for me so far. But I'm keeping the running option open!

ggauthier82

I hear ya! I forgot about the length of stay being a factor, our next trip is 11 nights too...our longest one yet! Yikes, also the first trip in a few that we opted not to do the Deluxe Dining. Hopefully that will help to back off the eating. Be strong, I will try too!

We will be on the regular dining plan. That still includes 2 desserts per day! Hopefully many fat-free yogourt and fruit cups options. I wish there were at least one "light" option on every Disney menu!!

But then again, would I choose it every time??? Maybe not... :goodnevil

plaz10

Weight loss comes from diet and exercise. No way getting around that. Fun ways to exercise in "Disney fashion" are telling myself "running to get Soarin' FP" or "running to get to the bus after Wishes" just funny things like that to take your mind off the exercise.

I also like to think when lifting weights "strengthening my shooting arm for Toy Story Mania!":lol:

I wanted to lose 20 lbs by Disney...I've to 2 lbs to go and 2 weeks to go! So I figure I've got it down!

And I don't worry at all about calories in Disney. It's the best time (and place) to splurge. I'd rather work hard when I get home to drop an extra weight instead of limit myself while in the World.

disney4life2008

I am in!! I have lost about 40lbs since July 2010 but have about 15-20 more before my August 6 trip to WDW!! My motivation is:

1) I want to be able to buy a Disney t-shirt off the rack.

2) I want to be able to buckle my seatbelt on test track myself without CM assistance

3) I want to be able to sit on the airplane without getting a seatbelt extender.

4) plus many more...

I am male, 5'7, 307lbs. I need help!! :king:

DISNEYWORLD.. Here I come!!

ggauthier82

Weight loss comes from diet and exercise. No way getting around that. Fun ways to exercise in "Disney fashion" are telling myself "running to get Soarin' FP" or "running to get to the bus after Wishes" just funny things like that to take your mind off the exercise.

I also like to think when lifting weights "strengthening my shooting arm for Toy Story Mania!":lol:

I wanted to lose 20 lbs by Disney...I've to 2 lbs to go and 2 weeks to go! So I figure I've got it down!

And I don't worry at all about calories in Disney. It's the best time (and place) to splurge. I'd rather work hard when I get home to drop an extra weight instead of limit myself while in the World.

I agree with you on the diet and exercise, although I think a change of habits is more powerful than just a short-term diet.

2 lbs in 2 weeks, you can do this! What a wonderful reward the trip will be!

I keep on imagining myself at WDW in August with 43 lbs lost, it encourages me to lose those last 12 lbs!

And for accord99cutie who says it gets harder after kids, I now weigh 20 lbs less than before I was pregnant with my first child 8 years ago (I now have two)! So don't use that as an excuse, it IS possible!! :sohappy:

disney4life2008

One thing I learned through the process is to not starve yourself. I still eat what I want but I have considerably reduced my portions. And I walk for at least an hour a day. The worst thing I learned was eating next to nothing then eating double during dinner. I hate exercise but with walking - you loose weight.

Stay away from diet fads and books. They all cater to the average person.

popsicletrees

One thing I learned through the process is to not starve yourself. I still eat what I want but I have considerably reduced my portions. And I walk for at least an hour a day. The worst thing I learned was eating next to nothing then eating double during dinner. I hate exercise but with walking - you loose weight.

Stay away from diet fads and books. They all cater to the average person.

Do you lift weights as well? I only ask because building muscle will help burn more calories throughout the day. It doesn't have to be heavy weights either. I use light weights and a resistance band at home. I plateaued for awhile in my weight loss journey until I started lifting weights.

I will add that I struggled with weight for several years. Three years ago I lost 20 lbs, lost an additional 10 two years ago, and have kept it off ever since. I don't consider myself as a dieter. Instead I made lifestyle changes. It was gradual, and I had to give up a lot of foods that I used to snack on. I am comfortable with my weight, but I have to work out and eat well to maintain it.

Just a word of motivation to keep trying and keep re-adjusting. I exercise 5-6 days a week. I don't want to everyday, but I always tell myself that I never regret working out, but I always regret when I don't. That seems to work for me. I always take Sundays off from exercise (except maybe going for a walk now and then) and eat whatever I want. So, if I start craving ice cream during the week I just tell myself that I can have it on Sunday. By that point the craving either goes away or I eat ice cream and feel no guilt. It helps that my husband and I are committed to living healthy lifestyles together. We want to have these good habits in our lives now before we have the jobs we want and a family.

sweetpee_1993

Hi Guys,

I am looking to shift the pounds before my next trip in feb. Just looking for some like minded people out there to talk to?

Anybody trying to be a skinny minnie like me?

YES!!!! I was thinking just yesterday while I was out for my walk/run that I really really could use just this very thing: some Disney buddies to help me on this journey....again!

Three years ago I was exactly where I am now: 180 lbs. (I'm tall for a girl @ 5'9"). I worked super hard, did the weight loss program at my doctor's office, and lost 25 lbs. in just over 3 months. I felt soooo good! It wasn't just how I looked, either. It was how I felt. I felt so strong and healthy and like my body was in it's optimal performance. During that time I had to do a cardiac stress test. The poor technicians had a heckuva time getting my heart rate elevated to where they needed it on that treadmill. They kept saying, "Wow! You're in really good shape for it to be this hard!" That felt amazing!

I kept that excess weight off for 2 years with pretty good success. I was on & off with the running and excercise. If my weight started picking up I'd hit the pavement and get it right back down to a comfortable spot. Then last year was a super stressful year. With all the mess with my oldest and the battle of the century with the school board, starting homeschooling, the husband being out of work, etc. I got really down in the downy-dumps. And I'll readily admit that I'm a comfort eater. If I feel down I crave sweets worse than usual. It's bad. So as we went into our November 2010 trip to WDW my weight was up to about 167 from my usual target spot of 160. After the trip and then the holidays, I started the new year at a whopping 177. Talk about feeling like the big looooooser! I let myself go right back to where I swore I'd never be again.

So far this year the husband has worked out of state from mid-January up to 2 weeks ago. With all the traveling and stressing with the homeschool junk with the boys and comfort eating still, even tho I know I shouldn't, here I am at the highest weight I've been in over 3 years. Over the weekend I stepped on my scale and I was up to 180. Somebody just shoot me now. Please.

I'll join you! I've lost 31 lbs since September 2010, but I still have 12 lbs to lose before taking off to WDW on August 16th.

What's your goal?

My goal is to get back to 160 lbs....that's almost 20 lbs. to lose by September. I know I can do it. I've done it before. I just have to get consistant and not give up or give in!

I think the challenge will be keeping the lbs off on the Disney Dining Plan!! I don't want to come home with unwanted "souvenirs"!!

The Disney Dining Plan is definitely not my friend. We've done it twice and both times I came home with an additional 10 lbs. on my butt. :p

Good for you!

I wanna lose 84lbs

You can totally do it!!! Seriously! Don't look at it like that's a huge number to lose...it all comes off 1 pound at a time whether it's 10 lbs. or 100 lbs. Once the lbs. start coming off you'll build momentum and it'll happen. It's 1 pound at a time.

Hi guys. Check out our running board at http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128
I know running may not be your thing, but lots of us in there started from nothing and now can run 5ks, half marathons, full marathons, and some cases - crazy long ultra marathons.

I dunno, Steve. I feel like such the big Loser over on that running board. Those are real runners. I'm on and off the running wagon so much. I don't think I belong there so much. I want to run. I want to run an event at WDW. I've just struggled a lot getting on a schedule where I'm making that time for myself to run every day ~~with consistancy~~. Maybe once I get down the road a bit I'll come sniffing around over there again. But aren't you just the sweetheart for all your kind words and the fab invite. :kiss:

I am also trying to lose weight before our next trip, I have about 5 months to lose 40lbs. I would be happy with 30, but I'm aiming for 40! I joined loseit.com and I just do the calorie counting and exercise thing. I have lost 5lbs in about 2 weeks. Not as much as I was hoping for, but after 2 kiddos, working fulltime, and having to take care of both my kids during the night there is no time for the gym so I rely solely on walking and exercise DVD's.

You have a full plate! You can totally do it, too. Which exercise DVDs do you use??? I have 2 of the 'Quick Fix' DVDs and they are awesome...especially for when you need a really good workout in a short period of time. They do workouts in 10-minute increments that really, really work well. Fabulous. I highly hiiiiighly recommend them!

We will be on the regular dining plan. That still includes 2 desserts per day! Hopefully many fat-free yogourt and fruit cups options. I wish there were at least one "light" option on every Disney menu!!

But then again, would I choose it every time??? Maybe not...

The desserts are my downfall, too. I have such a raging sweet tooth. Maybe order the desserts and eat just 1 or 2 bites.

I also like to think when lifting weights "strengthening my shooting arm for Toy Story Mania!"

Oh! You're almost there!!! Yaaaaayyy!!!!

I love your approach with the motivation. That's awesome! I'm gonna try that today while I'm out running...picture all the slow-pokes I'll be zipping past on my way to the TSMM fastpass machines.... :D

I am in!! I have lost about 40lbs since July 2010 but have about 15-20 more before my August 6 trip to WDW!! My motivation is:

1) I want to be able to buy a Disney t-shirt off the rack.

2) I want to be able to buckle my seatbelt on test track myself without CM assistance

3) I want to be able to sit on the airplane without getting a seatbelt extender.

4) plus many more...

I am male, 5'7, 307lbs. I need help!! :king:

DISNEYWORLD.. Here I come!!

Your motivation list is great! You can do it, too. You've come so far already. Even if you didn't lose another ounce you've accomplished a lot and that's something to really be proud of! Kudos to YOU!!!! :sohappy:

I agree with you on the diet and exercise, although I think a change of habits is more powerful than just a short-term diet.

2 lbs in 2 weeks, you can do this! What a wonderful reward the trip will be!

I keep on imagining myself at WDW in August with 43 lbs lost, it encourages me to lose those last 12 lbs!

And for accord99cutie who says it gets harder after kids, I now weigh 20 lbs less than before I was pregnant with my first child 8 years ago (I now have two)! So don't use that as an excuse, it IS possible!! :sohappy:

Yes, it's possible to lose after kids but for some it's a lot harder than others. That would be me. My age, pregnancies, and massive weight gains totally changed my body and not for the better. I was 21 when I got pregnant with my oldest son and weighed about 140. I gained 50 lbs. with that first pregnancy. The baby was only 8 lbs. 15 oz. of that. LOL! I lost back down to about 150 when I got pregnant again at 23 years old. That pregnancy I gained 75 lbs. and delivered a 9 lb. 13 oz. baby. When my youngest was 3 years old I was still 198 lbs. I worked hard and shed 30 lbs. down to 168 where I plateau'd for a couple years. Then I got down around 155 for a little bit but that was an extremely stressful time and that loss was not a healthy one AT ALL. I pretty much had stopped eating altogether. Not good. So when I got past that "dark" period I went back up to my plateau spot of 168. I remained there until we moved to Texas in 2007. In the first 9 months we were here I gained 10 lbs. Not good. That's when I hit the pavement and the gym and lost down to about 155. That loss was not about being skinny...it was about being healthy and strong.

I think for me it's been a combination of my age and pregnancies that were the big game-changer. I was young when I had my babies. Yes, carrying babies can and for some does completely change the way the body behaves. I always had thin hair. Now I have abundant, thick, super-hair. My feet grew 1/2 size with each pregnancy. My metabolism changed dramatically, too. I think age factored into that. Everyone's metabolism slows as they get older but pregnancies also slowed mine.

I don't expect to ever get all the way down to my 21 year old 140 lb. body again. That would be totally unrealistic. I want to be in a healthy range with a healthy BMI. The weight number isn't so big a deal for me anymore. It seems like 160 on my 5'9" frame is healthy and gets my BMI in the right place. I'll never have my 21 year old body again.

Even when I've had my BMI down and been at my best in terms of physical fitness there's still much to be desired. Having ballooned up so high then losing I have a good bit of excess skin. No amount of diet or exercise can rid me of that. The only way I'll ever get that to go away is with surgery..which I've consulted with a doctor about. 2 years ago it would've cost $13k to do the full tummy-tuck. $13k. That's 2 ten-day trips to WDW. Can't do it. LOL!

Do you lift weights as well? I only ask because building muscle will help burn more calories throughout the day. It doesn't have to be heavy weights either. I use light weights and a resistance band at home. I plateaued for awhile in my weight loss journey until I started lifting weights.

I will add that I struggled with weight for several years. Three years ago I lost 20 lbs, lost an additional 10 two years ago, and have kept it off ever since. I don't consider myself as a dieter. Instead I made lifestyle changes. It was gradual, and I had to give up a lot of foods that I used to snack on. I am comfortable with my weight, but I have to work out and eat well to maintain it.

Just a word of motivation to keep trying and keep re-adjusting. I exercise 5-6 days a week. I don't want to everyday, but I always tell myself that I never regret working out, but I always regret when I don't. That seems to work for me. I always take Sundays off from exercise (except maybe going for a walk now and then) and eat whatever I want. So, if I start craving ice cream during the week I just tell myself that I can have it on Sunday. By that point the craving either goes away or I eat ice cream and feel no guilt. It helps that my husband and I are committed to living healthy lifestyles together. We want to have these good habits in our lives now before we have the jobs we want and a family.

I love your motivation thoughts! I'll have to do that where when I have my sweets cravings I promise myself that I can do it on Sundays. My bet is on Sunday I'll either have forgotten or tell myself "If I haven't caved by now, I don't need it". I usually try to exercise at least 4 days a week. 4 is my minimum because then I know in a weeks time I've worked out more than I haven't. Exercise is such a mind game for me. I'll definitely be trying your tricks! :wave:

Sooooo...let's be checking in with each other at least every few days to help each other keep it up! :wave:

With that....the dryer has stopped which means my sports bras are dry and I can hit the pavement! :wave:

bmarkelon

I totally hear you. And I do not think you are using your kids as an excuse, it's a real obstacle towards weight loss and being able to be consistant. I have 3 little ones, 6, 3, and 1. I finally figured out what works for me and am sticking to it and feel great finally about exercise. While the baby is sleeping I set my little guy up with a Mickey or Jake show and that is my workout time. I'm not sure what your cable situation is but I can get 100s of workouts Ondemand. My favorite and most effective are anything by Jillian Michaels....she is hard core but provides serious results. All I keep telling myself is what is a half hour to an hour out of my day?

I absolutely agree with you with the weights. I started Jillian Michael's kettelbell training and did this workout 4 or 5 times a week for 2 weeks and lost 5 lbs. I'm seeing muscle tone in my body that I haven't seen since high school. It's now been close to 3 months since I've made exercise a regular part of my week, shooting for 4 or 5 days a week...and I am in the best shape I've ever been in. I'd be happy losing 5 more lbs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom