Walt finally gets oswald back!

hansel1

Original Poster
There is a news story over at espn.com about abc/disney/espn trading AL MICHAELS in return for access to different venues and getting rights to Oswald the lucky rabbit.

For those that don't know, walt did some cartoons early in his career and due to contracts with the distributing company lost the rights to them.

Many, many, many years later, Universal finally coughed up the rights.

Here's the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324417

Congrats disney, that was one hell of a deal!

WOW!!!! I had no idea that disney still didn't have the rights to Oswald. We'll we finally got him back where he belongs. But then again if it weren't for Oswald being stolen from Disney, Mickey would not exist. At least he's back home.:sohappy:

dmmgp2000

This is truely an unbelievable story. After all these years, who would have ever thought that Al Michaels would play a part in returning Oswald the Lucky Rabbitt to the Walt Disney Company? Crazier things have happened, but this one just about takes the cake. Welcome home Oswald!

Justa' BigKid

I never heard of Oswald before.
For those like me who have never seen him, he sure look a lot like Mickey.
See below
Oswald on the left/ Mickey Mouse on the right
oswald_mick.gif

Once Oswald DVD collection sales prove strong Iger is going to greenlight an Oswald "overlay" at WDW that would remove mickey from the resort and replace him with Oswald. This includes Oswald walk around charecters, Oswald images, Oswald merchandise, Hidden Oswalds, and Oswald's Phillarmagic. Some Imagination..HUH?

Enderikari

Justa' BigKid said:
I never heard of Oswald before.
For those like me who have never seen him, he sure look a lot like Mickey.
See below
Oswald on the left/ Mickey Mouse on the right
oswald_mick.gif

Yeah, its nice to have one of Walt's old cartoon staples back in the Disney fold... But don't expect too much to come of this... maybe a rerelease of the old cartoons via the Disney Treasures Line (almost assuradely, i would think), but not much else. After all, you don't see Alice from the Alice comedies walking around, right?

dandaman

BRER STITCH said:
Must feel great to be Al Michaels....

Dumped for a cartoon!

:lol:

If it weren't for this particular cartoon (and lack thereof... thank you, 1927 Universal :rolleyes: ), the Walt Disney Company would most likely have never gotten off the ground. We all know "it was all started by a mouse", but what exactly spawned the mouse in the first place? Walt was thinking him up after the loss of Oswald, on the Santa Fe back to California. I'd like to think it was pretty much started by a rabbit.

...But the mouse is better. :lookaroun

Enderikari

The train story of Mickey Mouse completely discounts the work of Ubbe Iwerks in the creation of Mickey Mouse... While the train story was the one Walt told, the truth is just slightly different..

P.S. but you are right about the loss of Oswald forcing Walt to create a new character, one he could introduce with innovative syncronized sound is what started the Disney success

jvenegas

dandaman said:
I'd like to think it was pretty much started by a rabbit.

...But the mouse is better. :lookaroun

Come to think of it, your hidden Mickey symbol (C3) looks more like a rabbit than it does a mouse.:lookaroun :lol:

dandaman

jvenegas said:
Come to think of it, your hidden Mickey symbol (C3) looks more like a rabbit than it does a mouse.:lookaroun :lol:

That was the one that would show up best, out of the available fonts. :lol:

dandaman

Enderikari said:
The train story of Mickey Mouse completely discounts the work of Ubbe Iwerks in the creation of Mickey Mouse... While the train story was the one Walt told, the truth is just slightly different..

Read that in "How to Be Like Walt"... somehow forgot it. :hammer:

Rosso11

Wow this is such great news. It was always very sad that Disney lost the rights to Oswald. Its great that he is back where he belongs. I'm sure the next wave of Disney Treasures DVDs will be of Oswald. I'm sure he will start popping up in some form at the parks now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom