Disney profit up 54 percent with Disney World attendance up 2 percent

NoChesterHester

Wow... Huge jump. 24% jump for the resort division alone! Wow.

I bet a big piece of the 50+% jump is that ESPN got all the college football bowl games this year.

SeaBase86

I take this as good and bad news.

This is good news because well I love Disney and I'm happy for them.

The bad news is once TDO sees these numbers it still gives them another reason to rest on their laurels and not invest in new experiences.

Or who knows when Universal's figures are announced and when they see Harry Potter is making a difference maybe that may change.

Here's for another magical year for Disney.

menamechris

This is good news for them! Hopefully, this means that price increases will take rest so that this trend will continue. I feel like everytime I turn around, prices of food, rooms, and merchandise are going up...

jt04

The Potter Effect.

Harry Potter is making a difference! Or something.

The new Donald m&g in Mexico? :shrug:

Thrill

The Potter Effect.

Harry Potter is making a difference! Or something.

The new Donald m&g in Mexico? :shrug:

It's the closure of the Tiki Room. :ROFLOL:

I was hoping that this wouldn't happen. An increase in profits in general is good, but an increase in attendance at WDW is not good. All the execs needed. Numbers to back their view of Harry Potter as a "good thing." But I imagine that everyone here shares that belief.

NYwdwfan

This is good news for them! Hopefully, this means that price increases will take rest so that this trend will continue. I feel like everytime I turn around, prices of food, rooms, and merchandise are going up...

I am *hoping* this means they will continue discounts similar to those that were offered this past quarter (specifically the percentage off rooms) since there were more people in the parks.

menamechris

I am *hoping* this means they will continue discounts similar to those that were offered this past quarter (specifically the percentage off rooms) since there were more people in the parks.

I agree, but I am also one of those people that is of the belief that Disney will never be able to operate "discount free" again. They have marked things up so much the last few years (rooms especially) that the discount makes it "Wow, that's a lot" as opposed to "?!?"

NYwdwfan

I agree, but I am also one of those people that is of the belief that Disney will never be able to operate "discount free" again. They have marked things up so much the last few years (rooms especially) that the discount makes it "Wow, that's a lot" as opposed to "?!?"

Good point. Keep prices high, offer discounts, and maybe someone won't know what's out there and just pay rack rate.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Sooo..... once they're done with the fantasyland expansion...

replacing WOL, JIIWF, TETUNM, SGE, and refurbishing CBJ, and maaaany other attractions seems like nothing compared to the money Disney has!

IlikeDW

"Attendance at Disney World was also up by more than 2 percent, whereas attendance at Disneyland was slightly down."

Thats a little surprising, I guess all of the people going to see Worlds of Color are doing it at the expense of DL?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
"Attendance at Disney World was also up by more than 2 percent, whereas attendance at Disneyland was slightly down."

Thats a little surprising, I guess all of the people going to see Worlds of Color are doing it at the expense of DL?

I believe that was referencing the entire Disneyland Resort, not just DL.

jmuboy

I believe the terrible wet weather and rain really hurt the Holiday season at DL - a real bread and butter attendance period for the resort.

Thrill

Sooo..... once they're done with the fantasyland expansion...

replacing WOL, JIIWF, TETUNM, SGE, and refurbishing CBJ, and maaaany other attractions seems like nothing compared to the money Disney has!

Considering that two of those are likely only minor refurbishments with a few new AAs, new sound systems, and other cleanups, one could likely be done with cleanup and a few new AAs (SGE back to Alien Encounter) and the other two don't need to be done simultaneously, those projects definitely aren't bad.

They still would have money left for some serious expansion at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. XD

IlikeDW

I believe that was referencing the entire Disneyland Resort, not just DL.

I agree, just pointing out that WoC may not be driving attendance up just redistributing it. I think the assumption here has been that it has increased overall attendance at DLR. I'll stop there before I derail this. Nice to see the bump in attendance for WDW.

NoChesterHester

Doesn't this have more to do with how quarters were aligned?

They always report differences in the period from year to year. Besides, even if we were talking about an extra weekend... We are talking abou a 50% jump(25% parks)! That is a huge amount contributed to real raise in spending over the period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom