Misson Space ?

worldshwcasefan

Original Poster
Should Mission space stay open after this incident ?

2005-06-14-ride-death_x.htm

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
worldshwcasefan said:
Should Mission space stay open after this incident ?

2005-06-14-ride-death_x.htm

Should we suspend all air travel because someone dies onboard of an aircraft? No of course not.

The same applies here.
Unless Mission Space is indicated by the medical examiner as being the cause, there is absolutely no need for it be closed.

People are getting confused by the media into thinking that MS was responsible for a death. At the moment there is no evidence at all to suggest that. Remember 8.6 million people have ridden this attraction without incident.

Scooter

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but I think this ride should be closed until they determine how and why this child died.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was only opened after they fixed the problem.
They KNEW why that ride broke down and fixed the problem.

In this case, they don't know anything except that a child died after riding this attraction.

Generally speaking,4 year olds don't just pass out and die for no reason...and until they determine what caused this to happen, Disney is gambling that it won't happen again. Imagine the lawsuits and grief if another child died and THEN they found out what caused it.

I ,for one, won't allow MY children to experiance this attraction until I know it's 100% safe to ride.

I know all the facts,and that 8 million people have ridden this attraction and not had a problem...but once a child dies, these numbers don't mean anything to me except this...my child could die on this ride.

Just my opinions people..don't go off on me now. :lookaroun

Captain Chaos

As I said in another post, I cannot handle take offs when in a plane. I get sick. Yet, I handled MS just fine. MS isn't to blame. No, the ride should not be shut down. Then, The Mummy should have been shut down in Universal Studios when someone fell over the railing in the queue.

rainfully

After the incident, they spent all day testing the ride and investigating. They found nothing wrong with the ride itself. It should stay open.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Scooter said:
I ,for one, won't allow MY children to experiance this attraction until I know it's 100% safe to ride.

I know all the facts,and that 8 million people have ridden this attraction and not had a problem...but once a child dies, these numbers don't mean anything to me except this...my child could die on this ride.

On that basis, would you not ride in a car again then? As the chances of being killed in a car accident are MUCH higher than on a theme park attraction, and cars have nowhere near a 100% safety record.

wannabeBelle

Great point Steve!!! I agree 100% the chances of dying in every day life is actually higher than at a theme park attraction. Car accidents are far more dangerous statistically speaking than airplanes. Airplanes are more dangerous statistically speaking that this attraction. It has been checked out and it was determined that the ride was operating correctly. I say let Mission:Space remain open. Belle

Yen_Sid1

Scooter said:
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but I think this ride should be closed until they determine how and why this child died.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was only opened after they fixed the problem.
They KNEW why that ride broke down and fixed the problem.

In this case, they don't know anything except that a child died after riding this attraction.

Generally speaking,4 year olds don't just pass out and die for no reason...and until they determine what caused this to happen, Disney is gambling that it won't happen again. Imagine the lawsuits and grief if another child died and THEN they found out what caused it.

Just my opinions people..don't go off on me now. :lookaroun

BTRR and MS were totally different incidents.

On BTRR, there was a mechanical failure, so they shut down the ride to investigate how the mechanical failure occurred.

On MS, there was no mechanical or ride failure. The ride was operating properly, they closed it off temporarily while ride testing was done. The ride checked just fine as usual, so they opened the ride back up.

Laura

Premium Member
I personally feel a lot safer riding Mission Space then I do sitting in my car in the Walmart parking lot.

PirateJ

Mission Space should not be shut down but the warnings and ride restrictions should be reviewed by Disney. Perhaps there could be a weight restriction as well as a heigh restriction because there is no way a 4 year old's body could withstand the intense g-forces produced by this ride.

Scooter

wdwmagic said:
On that basis, would you not ride in a car again then? As the chances of being killed in a car accident are MUCH higher than on a theme park attraction, and cars have nowhere near a 100% safety record.

Good point, but when a car crashes, there's a reason...either driver error or automotive problems...and no, I wouldn't ride in that particular brand of car if there was a death and no reason could be determined. ( I wouldn't ride in a Ford Pinto years ago when it was determined that the location of the gas tank could cause fires if this car is hit in the rear.)

I'm not saying I won't ride Mission Space ever again. I'm just saying I won't ride it, or allow my children to ride it until they determine what the cause was.

There has to be a reason, either the child had a pre-existing health condition, or something on this attraction caused that child to pass out.
Until they determine which it is, It's my opinion that it should be closed so it doesn't happen again.

The autopsy didn't find anything but further testing is being done.
Until all the investigating is complete, as far as I'm concerned, this attraction is dangerous.

The_CEO

PirateJ said:
Mission Space should not be shut down but the warnings and ride restrictions should be reviewed by Disney. Perhaps there could be a weight restriction as well as a heigh restriction because there is no way a 4 year old's body could withstand the intense g-forces produced by this ride.

2 g's.. Twice your body weight. My cousin who is also 4 went on M:S with me and was fine. Those warnings are thrown in your face so many times while in queue. I think they are fine. But if they must, raise the height restriction.

The_CEO

Scooter said:
I'm not saying I won't ride Mission Space ever again. I'm just saying I won't ride it, or allow my children to ride it until they determine what the cause was.
Great two less people standing in line for it. * Thats the way I look at it. *

The autopsy didn't find anything but further testing is being done.
Until all the investigating is complete, as far as I'm concerned, this attraction is dangerous.
If you are putting a WDW attraction in a corner; make sure to put the freeways, malls, and airports there too.

Anyone with a good head on their shoulders would know that you have less of a chance of getting hurt, or killed at DISNEYWORLD. Than in the ' real world'.

Driving to disney is a bigger risk then taking a spin on a centifuge.

Ausdaddy

Scooter said:
Generally speaking,4 year olds don't just pass out and die for no reason...

Generally speaking, 4 year olds do not ride this attraction. My son is 5 1/2 and I won't let him on it. We need to have some good judgement as parents. A 4 year old does not understand the idea of having to keep looking straight and not turn their head. Common sense to me. I've always thought that thrill rides should have more than just a height limit. Just to protect the park. Obviously, people will lie about their childs age to get in.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Scooter said:

There has to be a reason, either the child had a pre-existing health condition, or something on this attraction caused that child to pass out.
Until they determine which it is, It's my opinion that it should be closed so it doesn't happen again.

Dont you think that 8.6 million rides is sufficient testing to say the ride is safe? If there were problems on a scale that is of concern, over the course of 8.6 million rides, it would have appeared by now.

I agree that we need to await the medical results, but to close an attraction that has a record of 8.6 million rides without incident would be inappropriate. I cant think of anything else in everyday life that has that degree of safety. Nevermind my car example, based on accident rates, it is far more dangerous to be in your own home than inside Mission Space.

1disneydood

But even if a parent can use bad judgement, the ride should still not be closed. I know there are parents driving crazy with kids, leaving guns at home under the bed, and allowing kids to play with pitt bulls, etc. It's not WDW job to make sure parents use good judgement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom