How Firefox can enhance your WDWMagic experience (Part One)

ogryn

Original Poster
How Firefox can enhance your WDWMagic experience (Part One - Spell Checking)

Mozilla Firefox is a new open source web browser, with a number of features that can make viewing and contributing to these forums easier. You can download Mozilla Firefox browser from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . In this first tutorial, I will show you how using Firefox’s extension system, you can Spell Check your posts, and keep your forum friends happy.

Extension
Mozilla Firefox was written with expansion in mind, which means people can extend the functionality of the browser, by writing Extensions for it. The extension we will be looking at today is SpellBound.

First, navigate to the SpellBound Homepage at http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/install.html .

firefox_guide_1_1.jpg

1. Select your Operating System (for compatibility reasons, I would suggest Windows users select Windows and not an optimised version). Then select, which language you would like to install from the second drop-down box. Then select if you want an additional language installed from the third drop down box.

2. Then click on the Install SpellBound button. If you have one of the latest versions of Firefox, you may see a prompt like in the following picture. This is to alert you that an un-trusted website is trying to install software on your PC (which is a good thing. Internet Explorer could let malicious software through without you knowing).

firefox_guide_1_2.jpg

3. Seeing that we can trust this site, we need to click on Edit Options, the Allow button and then OK. (You may need to refresh the page and follow steps 1 and 2 again at this point, don’t worry, it won’t take long)

4. A Pop-Up window should now appear. Click on Install Now, and you should see the extension installing. You will then need to restart Firefox.

firefox_guide_1_3.jpg

5. Next time you want to Spell Check your post, you can now right-click inside any text-box or text-area, and click on Check Spelling

firefox_guide_1_4.jpg

A pop-up window will appear with suggestions for incorrect words. Click Close, when you are done and the post will be altered.

firefox_guide_1_5.jpg

And that concludes this first guide on how Firefox can improve your posting life, as well as help the other forum users. :wave:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part Two: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=45465
Part Three: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=45494

doop

I had heard of Firefox before, but never considered using it. Now that I have it downloaded and spellbound installed I love it! Thanks a lot for the info.

tigsmom

Thanks. :sohappy:

It took me a little while to get used to Firefox, but I love it.

when is Part II coming out? (I need all the help I can get)

cherrynegra

I absolutely LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE Foxfire!! I would recommend that everyone try it. It will make you forget about IE and all its problems. :sohappy:

Irrawaddy Erik

I use and love Firefox.......

Totally off topic..... GORDON I LOVE THE WICKED AVATAR, I've had the CD since it came out and I'm reading the book.

*Your going to grin and bare it your new found popularit......ty*

xfkirsten

TTATraveler said:
Ever since using Firefox, I haven't had a spyware problem with my computer. Firefox is definately worth using!!!:cool:

Amen to that! I only run AdAware/Spybot once a month since installing Firefox, and I still only find a small fraction of the spyware I found on my computer when I used Exploder and ran AdAware/Spybot every few days!

tigsmom

Legacy said:
Okay, that's it... im switching

Its worth it! It takes a little getting used to, but has so many great features.

Thanks for the heads up from my little helper. :lol:

Legacy

I have it installed, but whenever I try to come to magic on it, it stops responding. Do i need an extension or something?

Also, how can i make it so that i can connect directly with firefox rather than aol/ie?

tigsmom

I had to install some extensions...but I can't remember which ones. Og guided me thru it.

It has a pop up asking if you want to make it the primary

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I tried Firefox....didn't really like the "feel" of it for some odd reason.

Until Safari ever comes out for Windows, I will stick with IE or AOL. :lookaroun

ogryn

Original Poster
Legacy said:
I have it installed, but whenever I try to come to magic on it, it stops responding. Do i need an extension or something?

Also, how can i make it so that i can connect directly with firefox rather than aol/ie?

You need to download Flash player from Macromedia. The Flash player installer will recognise Firefox and things will progress from there :) :wave:

You may also want to install a JVM (Java) from http://java.mozdev.org/java_xpis/index.html

If it doesn't ask you to make it the Default Browser, then Tools -> Options -> General -> Default Browser

ogryn

Original Poster
Extensions

If you wish to Browse other extensions, goto Tools -> Extensions, then click Get More Extensions. This will take you to update.mozilla.org , where you can browse compatible extensions.

I use Web Developer, so I can analyse pages easier. And User Agent Switcher, which lets me fool pages into thinking I have IE, and lets me through their browser detecting.

Legacy

Still no workie...

:brick:

I have Mozzilla set as my default browser, but inorder for me to use it I still have to connect with my AOL. Also, the same thing is happening when I try to come to Magic... Mozilla will stop responding.

I'm not really this inept... :cry:

ogryn

Original Poster
Can anyone else help with Legacy's problem, as I don't use AOL and know that it is a PITA if you don't use it's own browser.

As for the freezing, the same thing happened to both me and Tigsmom, until we installed Flash Player and restarted the browser, and now it works fine, so I'm not too sure on the problem anymore. Sorry!

barnum42

Legacy said:
Still no workie...

I have Mozzilla set as my default browser, but inorder for me to use it I still have to connect with my AOL. Also, the same thing is happening when I try to come to Magic... Mozilla will stop responding.

You are stuck - AOL force you to connect with their browser. However, once done you just need to minimise it then crank up whatever broweser you would rather use.

tigsmom

Legacy said:
Still no workie...

Looks like the shoe is on the other foot now...how does it fit? :drevil:

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom