Armageddon Attraction: My Review

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
From the exterior, the show building is designed to look like a soundstage, with plain metal walls, giving it a rather industrial look. A huge sign on the front is the only itme of theming that really gives any indication of what is to be found inside.

The queue area is an open type area, in a small courtyard just besides the front of the building. Here the guests assemble to be funneled into one of two pre-shows. Music from the movie plays in this waiting area, and the usual warning signs are on view, warning guests of lound noises, darkness, and flashing lights.

Inside, the preshow area is modelled after many of the recent attractions, in the style of a briefing room with various props from the movie. A large screen hangs in the centre of the room, complete with a cast member to provide some additional spiel. Following a short greeting from the CM, the video display begins to relive some great moments in special effects history, showcasing some of the best work the movie makers have ever created. Michael Clarke Duncan is next to take the video stage, retelling some of his experiences from making the movie Armageddon. For those familiar with Test Track and Dinosaur at WDW, this preshow takes on a very similar feel. The CM returns to perform some very dubious spiel, focusing around getting the guests to demonstrate their fear poses etc. At this point the preshow really seems to lose its way. It looks to me like the show was originally meant to exit the preshow at the end of Michael Clarke Duncan's segment, but for some reason, there is now a 5 minute session with the CM that really becomes annoying fast, and might put many off re-visiting the attraction repeatedly.

Exiting the preshow, guests make their way along a soundstage corridor to the main set, where they find themselves on a Russian space station. The room is a circular set, allowing guests to stand anywhere around the circular central core, with no defined standing points or seating areas. This free-roaming nature is important, as it allows you to view the show from many different positions, greatly adding to it's repeat visit value. The actual set is very well done. The level of detail is exceptional, with total 360 degree sets, with literally things to be seen from every possible angle and direction.

The story of the show, is that the Russian space station is in outerspace, sitting in between a giant asteroid field, and Earth, and the astoroid field is on a collision course with Earth, and hence the Space Station. The guests on board the space station are basically there to take an up close and personal look at the total destruction of the space station, and its a quite an experience!

The doors to the set close, and the work lights fade, to leave the space station lit as it would be in the movie. Various dialog between the Russian Cosmonaut and the onboard computer keeps the guests informed of what is happening. Two giant viewing ports show the scene either side of the space station, where the approaching rocks can be seen. These view ports are very well implemented. They appear to use the same focal length modification that Mission Space uses to create a depth of vision that is far beyond what a regular LCD or Projection screen can deliver. THe views out into space really are stunning to see, and even more impressive, is that the debris approaching one view port, passes beyond the station, and is seen leaving the station in the other view port, all with syncronised audio and physical effects.

As the debris begins to hit the space station, a huge number of interior effects begin to unfold. There really are hundreds and hundreds of events taking place inside the room, far to many to see in one viewing. Amongst the highlights are, very precise, directional audio effects, highly detailed control console lighting, collapsing roofs, fire tunnels, smoke, explosions, electrical sparking, gas venting through the floor, and a depressurisation effect. The latter is probably one of the most impressive, where the escape pod is punctured, and everything inside the room begins to be sucked out into space. There really is a noticable pressure change inside the room, and smoke, sparks, and air are litterally sucked out right past you. Its important to realise that this show is a total 360 degree spectacle. Things are happening every direction you look, so it certainly isnt the kind of attraction where you stand and look ahead. be sure to be looking up, down, left and right, behind you and ahead.

Every show I saw was ended with applause from the guests, giving an indication of how good this attraction really is. The finale is rather a hot one, I wont say anymore to keep the element of surprise.

Exiting the set, guests pass backstage behind the set to see some of the equipment used, and exit back into the park.

The preshow takes approx 10 minutes, with the main show running at around 5 minutes.

Armageddon was a real surprise for me, a jewel in the Walt Disney Studios that I didnt expect to find. It's Imagineering at the highest level, with a level of immersion and detail that WDI is famous for. This attraction would work very well at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, and would be a sure-fire hit in my opinion. Perhaps located in one of the vacant soundstages? I will keep my fingers crossed.

ogryn

Nice review Steve. This was one thing I passed by at the Studios. Maybe because I didn't like the film that much. Maybe because I thought it would be like Twister at Uni Orlando.

Next time I'm there I'll make sure I check it out then! :)

dxwwf3

wdwmagic said:
Armageddon was a real surprise for me, a jewel in the Walt Disney Studios that I didnt expect to find. It's Imagineering at the highest level, with a level of immersion and detail that WDI is famous for. This attraction would work very well at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, and would be a sure-fire hit in my opinion. Perhaps located in one of the vacant soundstages? I will keep my fingers crossed.

I had just asked marni1971 a couple of days ago if the show building here would fit in the area occupied by Who Want's To Be Millionare and the former Backstage Pass attraction, and he seemed to think that they could easily fit the attraction there. I would personally love to see this attraction added there. I think Twister at USF is ok, but the concept for Armageddon seems so much better. This is just my opinion, but I would rather see this show added to the Studios over a new Indiana Jones Adventure attraction (I know I'm probably the only one). MGM is already my favorite park in the world and this addition would balance out the park even better. And since we go to WDW 2 or 3 trips a year, I'm always excited to hear about attractions with great re-rideability.

Thanks for the great review Steve!

stagestar

Armageddon at WDS

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there,

the very positive review of Armageddon really surprises me to be honest. Personally I think the attraction is having numerous flaws that would results in bad fan reaction if the attraction would be cloned.

But before I start with explaining that may I point out that you can see a few photos and read another text about the attraction here: http://www.mouse-studios.com/WDS/Courtyards/Backlot/Attractions/Armageddon.htm

Now on to what I consider flaws:

1. Capacity: the capacity is really small, smaller than e.g. Twister or Backdraft as there is only the pre-show, a bare corridor to walk through to the main show room and the main show room. To keep the lines looking more fluid WDS has two pre-show rooms plus an roofed outside waiting area for each of them. Still even with the low crowds the WDS attracts the attraction usually has some of the longer lines in the park just due to capacity.

2. Pre-Show: not exciting is a very friendly way to describe. I've seen numerous guests sitting down on the floor and sleeping through it.

3. Main-Show: the indoor effects are not very spectacular. Yes you are nearer to them than in say Twister or Backdraft but they have to be scalled back accordingly for safety reasons. Result: the air and the fire effects both have been realized more impressive already by Universal. The main show just presents effects seen already in Universal in a scaled down version. That might work in Europe, but not if the Universal park is just a short car ride away...

4. Reridability: near zero. The only thing you can do after a second visit is enjoy the reaction of other guests and wonder about stupid parents who bring their kids into the attraction. Which bring me to my last point...

5. Kids: due to the small confined space the main show takes place in, with effects all around the circular room and in the dead center there is no really "safe" corner. Disney warns from bringing children into the attraction. Many parents do it anyway. The result are reactions similar to those one could witness on Alien Encounter. Due to the proximity of the effects children are a lot easier scarred than in the Universal attractions.

oh ... and about the applaus: my experience is that the applaus is usually started by the castmembers in the room.

Still it is an attraction that is fun once if you don't queue to long for it. But it does not showcase the technical superiority that would have been necessary after Backdraft and Twister was done by Universal.

Yours
Dirk

duhastmich17

I must agree with "Stagestar". I also don't really like this ride. I've done it a few times but when I visit the park now, I always skip this one and head straight to Rock 'n Rollercoaster ;). I hate the boring preshow and, the main show is just not that impressive enough imo.

Sometimes guests thought that the main show, was still a preshow :lol:.
Do I need to say more?

Al

Excellent review Steve, i'd agree with you on most of the points you made ... Armageddon is brilliant, one of DLP "hidden gems", as it looks very inconspicuous from the outside. It really reminded me of the rides you would come to expect in WDW & DL, it had to be one of my favourites :).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom