All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDisneyMagic

Was just curious if both Disney and Siemens realize at all the continued dissatisfaction and complaints with SSE? The descent especially. Or do they just shrug it off and say who cares people are riding it anyway?

The complaints are minimal compared to the amount of people who experience the attraction every day of the year.

Remember most complaints are here on internet forums which hold some of the enthusiasts. The average Joe Blogs from the street probably doesn't give a rats about the current ending of the attraction.

gustaftp

"Remember how easy it was to learn your abc's?"-:brick:

"The ancient Greeks were great inventors of the future!"- !?

"Books it seems, were just the beginning."- I don't know why, this just screams simpleton to me.

"A language not spoken by humans, but by computers"-Thank you, I had no idea, even though there are huge computers all around me right now.

I'm sorry, I feel like the script is an insult to my intelligence.
Most of those quotes are transitioning us into the next scene - "setting the stage for what's to come" so-to-speak. Something the previous incarnation never did. Look--cavemen. Great. Now here are the Egyptians. Suddenly we've been magically transported to the Phoenicians. No explanation as to why. And it just goes on-and-on. Disjointed, random scenes. The new script ties each one together, and if we're going to discuss Communication OR Innovation, how one thing influences another is KEY to understanding. The new script excels with this.

As far as the line about computers goes -- do you not realize that the fact we invented BRAND NEW LANGUAGES is not relevant? Irons talked about the development of language, and that's not dumb, but talk about the development of a computer language is? That's rather hypocritical.

How exactly is your intelligence insulted? Isn't the point of an education to help you make connections between seemingly disconnected items? To question, discover, explore, and understand? Are you insulted if a professor starts discussing causes-and-effects in a class?

I'm sorry, but I have to say something here. Even though this is my first post, I've been lurking around this thread forever. First off gustaftp, Jeremy Iron's script doesn't refer to Rome building the first world wide web. The 2007 version is the one that includes this horrible line. Irons' script read, "The mighty Roman empire bridged three continents with a vast system of roads- the fastest information highways the world had ever known. East, west, north, and south- all roads led to Rome." Much more articulate and memorable IMHO. The new line is, "Rome built the first world wide web, and it's leading us into the future." Not only is this dumbed down, it's horribly structured. Half the sentence is in past tense and half is in future tense. You may be a communications major, but any 5th grade English student knows what's wrong with that sentence.
I agree, that sentence is horribly structured. I'm not going to lie there. But it's not dumbed down. However, you are missing the point the new script is trying to make about how what Rome did is still very much important to today's society.

To add on to SirGoofy's horrible lines, how about the entire civil war scene? "Now communication technology races headlong into the future, and soon people all over the world are sharing life's most important moments faster than ever before." Slavery just ended and the script is talking about life's most important moments, as if it was a Kodak moment. On top of that, the man holding the paper is African American, which simply doesn't make sense in context and is borderline offensive.
At this point, communication technology DID race headlong into the future. Do you dispute that?

That leads me to another thing I can't stand about the new attraction. Instead of the inventions being the focus of each scene, it's more about the time period. As mentioned above, for some reason the Civil War is emphasized in the printing press scene. Instead of celebrating the art of cinema, we are hit over the head with the fact that it's the 1930s with the Olympics footage, the advertisement for the Mickey Mouse cartoon, and the ticket taker holding a newspaper, again referring to the Olympics. Finally, instead of concentrating on television itself, the next scene emphasizes that it is the 60's (1969 to be exact). There's a Beatles reference, Mouse Trap, the moon landing etc.
I disagree. If anything, the new script is more focused on the specific inventions than ever before -- even pulling in mainframe and personal computers, The Library of Alexandria, and Mathematics. The previous version didn't mention the importance of any of those things, and only spoke in bromides about computers -- suddenly we are in a scene with a boy and girl on a webcam with absolutely no explanation. Really? That's dog-gone awful, and the previous script really should have made a much better attempt at making the connections.

Not to be a downer, but when someone actually defends the new version, I've got to play devil's advocate. SSE used to be my favorite attraction, but I find the new version to be a complete disaster of epic proportions. Don't even get me started on the descent.

The descent that allows you to communicate with a ride about communications, and allows us to understand that communication isn't a one-way street, and isn't simply a professor lecturing in your ear? That all change and invention begins with YOU? Sure, it would be nice to have some pretty things to look at all around in the descent tunnel, but you can't simply discount this very clear statement about who influences the future.

I studied and majored in this, so I think I have some authoritative ground to stand on when I say that the new script is factually much stronger and more accurate than ever. Some of the wording could have been a bit better, but overall, the script is a significant improvement over the old one, and I'm glad that my subject of study isn't presented as such a dry topic any longer, and allows people to interact with the ride instead of being a staid, out-dated, creaky ride through history. SSE2007 makes the topic relevant again, especially in a time when the old Dinosaur media is being ousted in favor of the plethora of viewpoints that actually exist. It's our job to filter out the babble, and it's our job to shape the future.

Mr.EPCOT

How exactly is your intelligence insulted? Isn't the point of an education to help you make connections between seemingly disconnected items? To question, discover, explore, and understand? Are you insulted if a professor starts discussing causes-and-effects in a class?

The insult comes with the narration making the assumption that we're not understanding the basics of what it's trying to tell us. It's not enough for it to just say the Phoenicians invented an alphabet common to most languages, it seems to think that we can't grasp that idea and explain to us as if we were children, "Remember learning your ABC's? Thank the Phoenicians, they invented them."

The previous version didn't mention the importance of any of those things, and only spoke in bromides about computers -- suddenly we are in a scene with a boy and girl on a webcam with absolutely no explanation. Really? That's dog-gone awful, and the previous script really should have made a much better attempt at making the connections.

To be fair, Spaceship Earth 2.0 (1986-1994 with Walter Cronkite) featured three iterations of the computers evolution, so it's not as if it hasn't been fairly represented in the attraction in the past. Removing those scenes was a shame, certainly extremely important in the history of communications, but I can understand the desire to place emphasis on humanity reaching the ultimate pinnacle in communcations: being able to connect with each other across any distance at any time, instantly. The narration did an excellent job of conveying that, but I could see where maybe that show scene could better reflect the concept. But it's not as if the computer scenes weren't replaced with something worthy.

The descent that allows you to communicate with a ride about communications, and allows us to understand that communication isn't a one-way street, and isn't simply a professor lecturing in your ear? That all change and invention begins with YOU? Sure, it would be nice to have some pretty things to look at all around in the descent tunnel, but you can't simply discount this very clear statement about who influences the future.

I have to completely dispute this. Beyond the fact that Spaceship Earth isn't supposed to be about communication anymore (I wish it was, but it ain't), the descent video isn't anywhere near as noble of a message as you make out to be. First off, it doesn't utter a single damn thing about communications. One of the videos might portray some form of fanciful communications technology at some point, but there is certainly no clear statement about communication itself. Mostly people are just giggling at seeing their face on a flash animation, and probably aren't even listening to what it's saying. And secondly, the video is more or less telling you that this stuff is coming in the future no matter what, whether you work for it or not. Everything will be done for you in the future! Your suitcase will pack itself! NOTHING along the lines of if we work hard and put all of our differences aside we can achieve these amazing things, just that this is more or less inevitably going to happen with or without effort on your part.

SirGoofy

If it'll end the argument, I'll just say that you should all feel dumb compared to my mighty hypnobrain.

Futurama_ep64.jpg

Lucky I do not possess the alpha brainwave.:D

aladdin2007

Its funny that some are saying its totally done, and the others are saying no its not done keep having patience. So um someone is getting wrong info somewhere.:shrug:

SirGoofy

Its funny that some are saying its totally done, and the others are saying no its not done keep having patience. So um someone is getting wrong info somewhere.:shrug:

I'm honestly starting to get the feeling the bad info was there was changes coming in the first place.

Lee

Adventurer
So um someone is getting wrong info somewhere.:shrug:
I really hope it's not me...but I'm starting to wonder. My SSE info comes from someone not directly involved, but has been pretty reliable in the past.
It's under investigation as we speak.:shrug:

aladdin2007

I really hope it's not me...but I'm starting to wonder. My SSE info comes from someone not directly involved, but has been pretty reliable in the past.

I hope I didnt sound like I was pointing fingers or anything, its just there are two camps to this, one saying nay, one saying yea!
But sounds good that its under investigation as we speak! Thanks! :wave:

mcjaco

I don't think anyone would point fingers at anyone. Sometimes you just get bad info.

It's just not the Disney way to still be messing with something this far past the opening. Regardless of how management is messed up (in some people's eyes). I think it's been done, and it's really just fanboys looking way too into the whole thing.

My two cents

GothMickey

I won't blame Lee either. Marni, maybe. Lee, nah LOL. :ROFLOL: Just kidding Marni. I don't believe anything more is coming to the descent either.

Lee, Marni: who ever told ya false information has to be waterboarded next time so we can get the truth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom