All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Having a BA in Communication Studies, I can authoritatively state that the current version of the script is much more accurate and precise than previous incarnations. It connects together each scene and explains how one influences the next. It tells us that the alphabet the Phoenicians invented is the same alphabet we use today.

Do I miss the grandiosity of the previous script? Sure... but the new script does a much better job of communicating history to us. And shouldn't a ride about communication history do just that?

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this one. Saying that the idea of the records that were thought to be lost were kept by the jewish and arab scholars as "the first backup system" is pretty silly and that's not the only offense in the script.

aladdin2007

What if they get Judi Dench to sing "Tomorrow's Child"? :ROFLOL:

I dont know about her singing :ROFLOL:, but I can def hear her saying "And now Welcome to Your Future, Tomorrows Child is here today!" and the music soars and sparkling lights dance all around us. sighh sad:(:brick:

WDW1974

Having a BA in Communication Studies, I can authoritatively state that the current version of the script is much more accurate and precise than previous incarnations. It connects together each scene and explains how one influences the next. It tells us that the alphabet the Phoenicians invented is the same alphabet we use today.

Do I miss the grandiosity of the previous script? Sure... but the new script does a much better job of communicating history to us. And shouldn't a ride about communication history do just that?

At the risk of angering my fanboi posse, I tend to agree with you.

The script isn't as bad as some say it is ... but those triangles just sitting there. What's the deal with them?

~Starkwood=24's version of Blackwater?~

aladdin2007

The script isn't as bad as some say it is ... but those triangles just sitting there. What's the deal with them?

~Starkwood=24's version of Blackwater?~

Yeah its pathetic, I think if they were doing to do anything it would have been done by now,,,but the ones in the know on here are still saying its coming sooo i dont know what to think anymore. :shrug:

Mr.EPCOT

It is still the history of communication. No matter how Disney PR tries to spin it.

I was just pointing out to my friend while on the ride the other day that the scenes they've changed and added to try to better reflect the innovation theme are actually just as or more pertinent to communication. Advanced mathematics are just as important as theater, and computers, well...

DUH!

HMF

Original Poster
I was just pointing out to my friend while on the ride the other day that the scenes they've changed and added to try to better reflect the innovation theme are actually just as or more pertinent to communication. Advanced mathematics are just as important as theater, and computers, well...

DUH!
Whenever I hear Disneys new description of the ride (guests discover how each generation has invented the future for the next generation and how the spirit of innovation has moved mankind from the caves to the cosmos) I hear essentialy the history of communications dumbed down.

gustaftp

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this one. Saying that the idea of the records that were thought to be lost were kept by the jewish and arab scholars as "the first backup system" is pretty silly and that's not the only offense in the script.
That's about the only offense about the script that is ever really pointed out. And the 2007 script comparing The Great Library of Alexandria (which, BTW was NEVER even mentioned in previous incarnations despite it's importance in Communications History) is not really significantly different than the 1994 script saying that Rome built the first World Wide Web.

Thanks. I just don't understand the hatred towards this script, it is more effective and precise than the old one. And that's coming from a Communications Major from one of the Top 10 public universities in the nation (not to pound that over everyone's head... but seriously, folks!).[/QUOTE]

Whenever I hear Disneys new description of the ride (guests discover how each generation has invented the future for the next generation and how the spirit of innovation has moved mankind from the caves to the cosmos) I hear essentialy the history of communications dumbed down.

How is it dumbed down? Because the 2007 script talks about the first back-up system? Or because we are told that we are using the EXACT same alphabet that the Phoencians invented? Not the Greek alphabet, not the Russian alphabet, but the Phoenician alphabet!

As previously stated, considering Irons talked about Rome building the first world-wide-web, Judi talking about the first back-up system is tit-for-tat and just a trade off. Her specification about the alphabet and the Library Alexandria is a plus since one wasn't elaborated upon, and the second wasn't even mentioned in the past. Math wasn't mentioned in the past, and now plays a prominent role in the attraction, whereas acting still gets acknowledged in later scenes. Math is incredibly important to the development of Communications. Is this bad?

Remind me how all of that is "dumbed down"? Unless I actually received a dumbed-down education from the university by my professors being more specific in their lectures.

ttalovebug

^ I can see your point, but I don't think people have a problem with including those facts, but, rather, how they are said in the script. We may be using the Phoenician alphabet, but the line itself is just silly. :shrug:

SirGoofy

"Remember how easy it was to learn your abc's?"-:brick:

"The ancient Greeks were great inventors of the future!"- !?

"Books it seems, were just the beginning."- I don't know why, this just screams simpleton to me.

"A language not spoken by humans, but by computers"-Thank you, I had no idea, even though there are huge computers all around me right now.

I'm sorry, I feel like the script is an insult to my intelligence.

HMF

Original Poster
As previously stated, considering Irons talked about Rome building the first world-wide-web, Judi talking about the first back-up system is tit-for-tat and just a trade off.
I do not recall hearing the wording first world wide web in the Irons script.

goofyfan13

I do not recall hearing the wording first world wide web in the Irons script.

Because he didn't, here is what he said during the Roman scene.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The mighty Roman empire bridged three continents with a vast system of roads, the fastest information highways the world had ever known. East, west, north, and south, all roads led to Rome. [/FONT]

As far as my opinion on the new script, I don't hate it, but I'm not crazy about it. I think Judy Dench is fine, but personally I enjoyed the Irons voice/script combo.

ryno1982

I'm sorry, but I have to say something here. Even though this is my first post, I've been lurking around this thread forever. First off gustaftp, Jeremy Iron's script doesn't refer to Rome building the first world wide web. The 2007 version is the one that includes this horrible line. Irons' script read, "The mighty Roman empire bridged three continents with a vast system of roads- the fastest information highways the world had ever known. East, west, north, and south- all roads led to Rome." Much more articulate and memorable IMHO. The new line is, "Rome built the first world wide web, and it's leading us into the future." Not only is this dumbed down, it's horribly structured. Half the sentence is in past tense and half is in future tense. You may be a communications major, but any 5th grade English student knows what's wrong with that sentence.

To add on to SirGoofy's horrible lines, how about the entire civil war scene? "Now communication technology races headlong into the future, and soon people all over the world are sharing life's most important moments faster than ever before." Slavery just ended and the script is talking about life's most important moments, as if it was a Kodak moment. On top of that, the man holding the paper is African American, which simply doesn't make sense in context and is borderline offensive.

That leads me to another thing I can't stand about the new attraction. Instead of the inventions being the focus of each scene, it's more about the time period. As mentioned above, for some reason the Civil War is emphasized in the printing press scene. Instead of celebrating the art of cinema, we are hit over the head with the fact that it's the 1930s with the Olympics footage, the advertisement for the Mickey Mouse cartoon, and the ticket taker holding a newspaper, again referring to the Olympics. Finally, instead of concentrating on television itself, the next scene emphasizes that it is the 60's (1969 to be exact). There's a Beatles reference, Mouse Trap, the moon landing etc.
Not to be a downer, but when someone actually defends the new version, I've got to play devil's advocate. SSE used to be my favorite attraction, but I find the new version to be a complete disaster of epic proportions. Don't even get me started on the descent.

imagineer boy

Just to add my two cents to the whole narration thing:

The main problem, as stated, is the script. It plays too much to the lowest common denominator

Secondly, and I hope this doesn't sound sexist, I just think that SSE should have a male narrator (father time) and LWTL should have a female voice (mother earth). Nothing against Judi Dench (and whoever is the voice of LWTL), I just have way too much time to think about things.:animwink:

I never thought about that before, but you're right, SSE seems to work a whole lot better if the narration is done by a male.

CaptainMichael

Sorry fellow EPCOT fanbois, I cannot share in your disdain of SSE 2007. I like it, and it will only get better when the descent is turned on.

calicommando

I'm sorry, but I have to say something here. Even though this is my first post, I've been lurking around this thread forever. First off gustaftp, Jeremy Iron's script doesn't refer to Rome building the first world wide web. The 2007 version is the one that includes this horrible line. Irons' script read, "The mighty Roman empire bridged three continents with a vast system of roads- the fastest information highways the world had ever known. East, west, north, and south- all roads led to Rome." Much more articulate and memorable IMHO. The new line is, "Rome built the first world wide web, and it's leading us into the future." Not only is this dumbed down, it's horribly structured. Half the sentence is in past tense and half is in future tense. You may be a communications major, but any 5th grade English student knows what's wrong with that sentence.

To add on to SirGoofy's horrible lines, how about the entire civil war scene? "Now communication technology races headlong into the future, and soon people all over the world are sharing life's most important moments faster than ever before." Slavery just ended and the script is talking about life's most important moments, as if it was a Kodak moment. On top of that, the man holding the paper is African American, which simply doesn't make sense in context and is borderline offensive.

That leads me to another thing I can't stand about the new attraction. Instead of the inventions being the focus of each scene, it's more about the time period. As mentioned above, for some reason the Civil War is emphasized in the printing press scene. Instead of celebrating the art of cinema, we are hit over the head with the fact that it's the 1930s with the Olympics footage, the advertisement for the Mickey Mouse cartoon, and the ticket taker holding a newspaper, again referring to the Olympics. Finally, instead of concentrating on television itself, the next scene emphasizes that it is the 60's (1969 to be exact). There's a Beatles reference, Mouse Trap, the moon landing etc.
Not to be a downer, but when someone actually defends the new version, I've got to play devil's advocate. SSE used to be my favorite attraction, but I find the new version to be a complete disaster of epic proportions. Don't even get me started on the descent.

That might be the best first post I've ever read.

aladdin2007

Was just curious if both Disney and Siemens realize at all the continued dissatisfaction and complaints with SSE? The descent especially. Or do they just shrug it off and say who cares people are riding it anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom