The Mummy might outdue Disney's Mt Everest ?

NADisney

Original Poster
Though I am a BIG Disney fan like the rest of us board members, The Imagineers have Finally listen to our demands on better themed attractions.Everst might have the classic disney theme ,surprize and tecno to boost our hopes for the future..I recently saw the Universals the Mummy- the ride promo and it knocked me out ..WOW is the only thing i could think of and Should Disney start thinking about its future in theme park tradition and know how to please the guest experience.

Visit www.themeparkadventure.com and click on The Hollywood click then the Mummy-the Ride title to see a sneak peek of the attraction, and hang on for a WOW Punch.

MagicalMonorail

Mummy seems to be the same general concept of Everest. It certainly has the same technology and all. I just hope the Imagineers can make Everest one truly awesome mountain. Revenge of The Mummy is going to keep heads turned, but in 2 years when Everest opens everyone will turn back to WDW.

Shaman

What are the known statistics for each?

What I found:
Link

E:E

steel-sitdown
built by Vekoma
height: 112 ft
highest drop: 80 ft
fastest speed: 50mph
height restriction: 42"

"The Expedition Everest will be the first ride to use Vekoma's newest track system. Rather than the rails be on the inside of the ties, they will be on the outside. To date Vekoma has only used this system on their smaller roller coasters. This will be the first large scale installation of such a system."

Mummy Coaster:

steel-sitdown
built by Premier Rides
LIM Launch
fastest speed: 40mph
Duration: 00:04:15
3 LIM launches

"The indoor rides will utilize Premier's pioneering Linear Induction Motor (LIM) to provide high-speed launches. Also being employed is a new, modified version of the LIM called Variable Speed Linear Induction Motor (VSLIM) Slow Premier's VSLIM technology helped enable the Universal design team to create a unique “High Velocity Show Immersion System” that completely engulfs the riders' senses during the ride.

In addition, the attractions move riders in all directions, including reverse, as the vehicle traverses its path." Link

------

Seeing as the mummy coaster will open first...that gives Disney some time to improve (if they have to) on their product...its kind of exciting what the competition between Universal and Disney has sparked..both seem like great coasters....

tztowerofterror

i agree w/ you nadisney! wow is definately the only thing i could say. it definately gave me chills! disney's really gonna have to get their act together if they want to make ee better than mummy!

iluvstitch

Remember that at least EE has an original story where ROTM is made w/the movie's theme. EE isn't opening so quickly b/c they are building a huge mt. whereas ROTM is inside a building.

Either way, I think they will both be great rides. I plan on riding ROTM when I go to Universal on May 15th/16th (if it's open, hopefully it will be). I'll let you know how it is. -Stephanie

Disney2002

Originally posted by NADisney
Though I am a BIG Disney fan like the rest of us board members, The Imagineers have Finally listen to our demands on better themed attractions.Everst might have the classic disney theme ,surprize and tecno to boost our hopes for the future..I recently saw the Universals the Mummy- the ride promo and it knocked me out ..WOW is the only thing i could think of and Should Disney start thinking about its future in theme park tradition and know how to please the guest experience.

Visit www.themeparkadventure.com and click on The Hollywood click then the Mummy-the Ride title to see a sneak peek of the attraction, and hang on for a WOW Punch.

That video is extremely useless in assessing the ride, since it's mostly video from the movies and computer generated track images. Like most ride promos, it shows nothing.

I expect the ride will be pretty awesome, however. That being said, I think any comparison between it and Everest is foolish when no one has been on either... and won't for over two years.

I think one thing that Everest will have over Mummy is the scope of the ride. Mummy is limited to the sound stage, while Everest is covering some massive land. But as I said, this is all simply guess work.

tztowerofterror

Originally posted by iluvstitch
Remember that at least EE has an original story where ROTM is made w/the movie's theme. EE isn't opening so quickly b/c they are building a huge mt. whereas ROTM is inside a building.

that's true. because of the fact that they're building a mountain, it'll be more thrilling than mummy no matter how many special effects mummy uses.

imagineer boy

The trailer didn't impress me too much. All they did was show scenes from the movies and a little bit of construction of the ride. Well, this may be interesting to see how the ride turns out.

Lee

Adventurer
You know the only thing that stood out to me about the Mummy video?
That they used a video of the launch from Hulk. Weak.

I have no fear of Mummy.
Everest is gonna chew it up and spit it out.

KevinPage

I alwauys disliked Disney using Vekoma for their coasters (non Disney Vekoma rides stink to be blunt), but I didn't know that Universal used Premier, who makes rides just as rough and uncomfortable as Vekoma.

Hence why the Premier LIM coasters (Flight of Fear, Riddler's Revenge & Batman & Robin: The Chiller) had the "over the shoulder restraints" removed to avoid all the unnecessay "head banging".

Any idea if Mummy has OTSR?

Disney2002

CGI looks cool. Looks like the ride is 4 seats across. Is that right?

Looks like Disney's Indiana Jones meets RnRC to be honest.

ISTCrew20

<---If you can tell from my avatar...and my sig line...I'm not a big fan of the Mummy.

I think Everest will be better in every which way. I didn't really start getting excited for it, until I saw the pictures of the track, and I saw the actual constuction of the ride yesterday. The thing will be SO huge. The one support could be seen from all over...and the actual mountain will be 3 times as big. Mummy may get some publicity for awhile...but I think once it opens, people will have the same reaction as they (some) did with Mission Space. They were promised alot more, and were expecting it, but it didnt meet their expectations...

We shall see...But everyone knows that a Yeti could crush every old, crumbly bone in the Mummy's pathetic body with one "Big Foot":lol: :lookaroun

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Universal are always good at creating nice marketing material and hype, but unfortunately the finished product often falls short. The power of Everest will be revealed in good time :)

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
Well, to be honest I'm tired about seeing arguments about two rides which aren't even open!

Ahh...But then we'll have nothing to talk about...and if we stop aurguing, we'll have to go out and actually do something:hammer: :lol:

stoplight7877

Some Mummy News

Hi All--

My wife has a friend who does work for Universal in a management capacity and had just informed her of some new details with the Mummy. She did a walk through a few weeks back and said that it is absolutely awesome. Apparently the sets and animatronics are dynamite. They have delayed cast member testing a bit, as the ad teaser from Universal that's been circulated on the Internet including the Universal website is somewhat a tease. Apparently, some of the creative types at Universal have circulated these cgi based demos of the ride, but they are pretty much bogus scenes that don't exist in the ride. Basically done to just surprise people when they ride the attraction and see that what they expected isn't really what is in the ride.

The basic theme of the attraction is that you're going to a museum that's about the ancient Egyptians and things go askew. I'll let you know what she finds out when testing begins.

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by ISTCrew20
Ahh...But then we'll have nothing to talk about...and if we stop aurguing, we'll have to go out and actually do something:hammer: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Yeah that sucks! Doing things.......:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom