Journey to the Center of the Earth at Animal Kingdom?!?!

1stStarIC2nite

Original Poster
Did anyone notice that a few nights ago (or maybe way before) Travel Channel aired a "Secrets" special on the Animal Kingdom. At the very end of the show they started talking about new rides/concepts for the park and they showed some computer animation of a car going by the giant creature that is featured in the Journey to the Center of the Earth at TDS.... Maybe they were showing it to give an idea of how the Yetti creature would move? Or were they actually planning a JttCotE attraction for AK?

I honestly don't know where it would go... maybe on Discovery Island..... or Dinoland... but. Oh! I just got an idea... maybe with the creature from Everest and this one from Journey... is it the signal the Beastly Kingdom is back???

jrriddle

Since it is a very similar ride system to Dinosaur, I can't see it happening. Maybe they were just putting in some images for filler.
But what do I know?
BTW I have brought this up before, have you noticed Disney has held off cloning anything from TDS? Maybe a sign that Disney Seas will make it's way to WDW one day?

jrriddle

Wow, I had never come across those on this site before.
Obviously these got scrapped (hmmm money issues? Nah, ya think?). It's nice to dream...I would give anything to see Mysterious Island on this side of the world. Villains Mountain would be incredible as well, especially the descriptions I read.
Was Mysterious Island to be Jules Verne based like Disney Seas (that you mention) or the Atlantis Movie theme that I read about?
Have you ever heard about this again or is it completely dead?

raven

Originally posted by 1stStarIC2nite
Did anyone notice that a few nights ago (or maybe way before) Travel Channel aired a "Secrets" special on the Animal Kingdom. At the very end of the show they started talking about new rides/concepts for the park and they showed some computer animation of a car going by the giant creature that is featured in the Journey to the Center of the Earth at TDS.... Maybe they were showing it to give an idea of how the Yetti creature would move? Or were they actually planning a JttCotE attraction for AK?

I honestly don't know where it would go... maybe on Discovery Island..... or Dinoland... but. Oh! I just got an idea... maybe with the creature from Everest and this one from Journey... is it the signal the Beastly Kingdom is back???

My oh my, how we jump to conclusions. It's funny how some of these threads get started sometimes.

The show was a "Secrets" special for that reason. Sometimes I think Disney does this purposely to see how fast rumors can be spread around. What you saw was most likely for Expedition: Everest.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by jrriddle
Wow, I had never come across those on this site before.
Obviously these got scrapped (hmmm money issues? Nah, ya think?). It's nice to dream...I would give anything to see Mysterious Island on this side of the world. Villains Mountain would be incredible as well, especially the descriptions I read.
Was Mysterious Island to be Jules Verne based like Disney Seas (that you mention) or the Atlantis Movie theme that I read about?
Have you ever heard about this again or is it completely dead?

These things arent scrapped, they just sit on the drawing boards and model shops at WDI. If management of WDW gives the call to WDI for major new capacity to MK, this project may very well come back off the drawing boards. However, at the moment, things have gone quiet on this attraction making an appearance at WDW.

EpcoTim

Re: Re: Journey to the Center of the Earth at Animal Kingdom?!?!

Originally posted by raven
My oh my, how we jump to conclusions. It's funny how some of these threads get started sometimes.

The show was a "Secrets" special for that reason. Sometimes I think Disney does this purposely to see how fast rumors can be spread around. What you saw was most likely for Expedition: Everest.

He was more or less saying "what if" not jumping to a conclusion.

Swfewrmco

I remember seeing plans for JTTCOTE at the preview center after "The Walt Disney Story" at MK many years ago. At the time, they were saying that it was going to be an addition to the Backstage Tour at MGM.

Someone earlier said that the ride vehicles are just like Dinosaur, so it would never make it to AK. Actually, the ride system is a relative of the Test Track ride system. Just like its Epcot cousin, JTTCOTE is very tempermental and is Tokyo DisneySea's most unreliable attraction.

Abercrombie Kid

While i can see that it possible could fit in with DAK. But the problem would be that Expedition Everest is already coming and this attraction will feature some truly groundbreakiong effects and sytems in a HUGE show building. i can imagine that it would be a better fit into the the Magic Kingdom as a new land, off of tommorowland. I have always thought that Discivery Island would make a good NEW tommorland I can imagine theme having something similar to the DLP planned JITCOTE with space mountain at it's base. 20,000 leagues under the sea as a real submarine ride would also be a good fit.

Bill

Account Suspended
Actually, from what I've heard, TDS's Journey into the Center of the Earth is rather reliable. It shows what Test Track's ride system can do, but when acttually built from scratch, rather then a retro fit.

Swfewrmco

Would you really call TT a retrofit? While it did use the shell of WoM's building, it didn't use WoM's track. I can see how a retofit would complicate things, such as Rocket Rods' failure in using the PeopleMover's track without any changes. I would consider Buzz Lightyear more of a retrofit, as it uses Take Flight's exact ride path.

pan11435

Actually, from what I've heard, TDS's Journey into the Center of the Earth is rather reliable. It shows what Test Track's ride system can do, but when acttually built from scratch, rather then a retro fit.

Test Track's ride system is very reliable. The "break downs" it has are due to the safety systems of the ride. JCOTE does not have this problem because very little of it compared to TT is outdoors. It also never reaches speeds near those of TT.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by dizryan
I remember seeing plans for JTTCOTE at the preview center after "The Walt Disney Story" at MK many years ago. At the time, they were saying that it was going to be an addition to the Backstage Tour at MGM.

Someone earlier said that the ride vehicles are just like Dinosaur, so it would never make it to AK. Actually, the ride system is a relative of the Test Track ride system. Just like its Epcot cousin, JTTCOTE is very tempermental and is Tokyo DisneySea's most unreliable attraction.

The Journey to the Center of the Earth are not Dinosaur viecles, but Test Track-type viecles.

dxwwf3

Well I would love to see this in the MK. With Alien Encounter closing the MK is in need of a thrill attraction badly, IMO. And from the videos I've seen Journey To The Center of the Earth doesn't seem to be very intense so I guess there wouldn't be much of a complaint from the "MK Should Only Be For Little Kids" group. Of course this won't happen but I would still love to see something like this in the MK.

Jusjuice

I think Mysterious Island would make a good bridge between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. They could get rid of the Indy Speedway, and expand all the way over the railroad tracks where the ride buildings could be. The train could run through a scene from Journey to the Center of the Earth. They could even expand to the 20K lagoon, and feature the nautilus there. The only problem would be the entrance to Toontown Fair, as it would have to be through the volcano.

Swfewrmco

Originally posted by imagineer boy
The Journey to the Center of the Earth are not Dinosaur viecles, but Test Track-type viecles.

Read the second paragraph of my post which you quoted. I stated that.

Abercrombie Kid

The trasition to Toontown would be hard.
Possibly there could be tunnle that sits on the ground (becuase of the Utildors) that is built into the mountain. This tunnle could hold a subway that is called "The Toontown Express" this could take visitors through the mountain without the guests even realizing it. The ride would feature a mixture of light effects: and the windows could be a plasma screen so that it make it look like your wgoing from fast to slow as the rain speeds up. By using effective story elemts such as motion base, lighting effects, and some fog effects the transition would be an expierence itself. When the train gets to Toontown it would be like another dimension as everything would be bright and colorful.

dxwwf3

I don't know why the 20K Lagoon wouldn't be a good place for the volcano. Just as "Fire Mountain" was rumored to be coming to that area a few years back. I know the argument can be made that Fantasyland (and to some people all of the MK) needs to stay kiddie-only but I think that this area is too large to be unused for such a long time.

But my biggest gripe, I guess, is the lack of any new E-Tickets at the MK in such a long time. Sure I love Philharmagic alot (acutally alot more than I thought I would) but I still think the MK needs a new elaborate "thrill" experience. And for goodness sake they don't need to replace an attraction to do this.

Abercrombie Kid

I totally agree that The Magic Kingdom is in need of a a new E-Ticket. Ideally I think that a villian mountain would fit into well into the 20,000 leagues area, apparently someting may be coming there soon. But i would love for viallan mountain to be located there. A viallan mountain has so much potential as a amazing dark ride/ thrill ride. The scenes could be huge and detailed. I can imagine that this would really bring people into the park. Fire Mountain could fit well into adventureland: near the tiki room area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom