Proposal Advice NEEDED!

CheshireBill

Original Poster
Quite a while ago I decided I would propose during my girlfriend’s and my Christmas trip. So I have a few ideas as to how I should propose, but I’m not sure as to the logistics of the ideas, or if there is a better option I could consider.

We will be down from November 29th until December 6th. The first night is when I’d like to pop the question. If I don’t do it then, I’ll be nervous the rest of the trip, and neither of us will have a good time because I’ll be nervous and edgy, and she become unhappy because I’m acting odd (or she’ll become suspicious—either way, not a good scenario). My plan is to make dinner reservations at Narcoossee’s, California Grill, or O’hana. I’m leaning towards Narcoossee’s because I think it will have the most romantic atmosphere.

So now that I’ve decided that (or at least think I have), I have more questions. We’ll be dining so that the fireworks will start just as we’re finishing dinner. So many people talk about how romantic it is to propose/be proposed to during the fireworks, so I thought I would combine a romantic dinner (the ole standby) with the fireworks. My only question is that since this is a MVMCP night, will Wishes be different? Specifically, will the “see, wishes really do come true” dialogue still happen?

Also, what is it like in Narcoossee’s during the fireworks? Are the lights turned down? If I were to give a camera to a CM prior to the fireworks starting, would they take some pictures during/right after I propose (or do they ask for ‘no flash photography’ during the fireworks?)? What other options do I have going this route?

My next question is if I should just suck it up and do it the next night. We will be in the MK that night for MVMCP. How crowded will it be that night? I would want to do it during the fireworks, but I don’t want to do it in a crowd of people; would that even be possible? I have thought about waiting until after the park closes, and doing it at the castle when the crowds have cleared—specifically, I have thought of asking a CM to “take our picture” and then right as s/he was about to take it, popping the question.

My only hesitation about doing this is that we’d both be hot, sweaty, and tired from a full day in the park, and she’d prefer getting engaged while dressed nicely and looking good. I’d prefer to do it on one of these two days. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don’t have the funds to do Gifts of a Lifetime. We both are huge Disney fans. She doesn’t really have any favorite character that sticks out that I should incorporate into this. We don’t really have a special place in the park (but will after this!), so I can’t really think of what I could incorporate into this to make it more magical. Any ideas or stories that could inspire some magic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

CheshireBill

Original Poster
I'm starting to rethink the Narcoossee's decision. I just looked at some pictures online, and it doesn't look that romantic inside, nor does it look like it has as good of a view of the MK as California Grill.

I originally didn't plan on going to the Cali Grill because we've already been there, and we like to try new restaurants as much as possible. After seeing the pictures, I'm thinking that we may want to go there because it will be more romantic. Is this the case?

Also, last time we didn't go during the fireworks. Can they easily be seen from most of the Cali Grill? I remember seeing the castle, but I don't remember if that's because we went outside, or if it could be seen from our table in the restaurant. Do most of the tables have good views of the castle? Do any have views of the castle?

kstella

It's wonderful that you're putting this much thought into it, but if she really loves you the place isn't going to matter to her. What's important is the fact that you are asking her to spend the rest of her life with you and she'll be thrilled no matter where and when.

That aside, I think that proposing in front of the castle during fireworks is the most romantic thing. If you don't want to be all hot and sweaty when you do it, maybe suggest an afternoon rest and head back to the park for the evening. You'll be fresher than if you had walked around all day.

Good luck and congratulations!

CheshireBill

Original Poster
It's wonderful that you're putting this much thought into it, but if she really loves you the place isn't going to matter to her. What's important is the fact that you are asking her to spend the rest of her life with you and she'll be thrilled no matter where and when.

That aside, I think that proposing in front of the castle during fireworks is the most romantic thing. If you don't want to be all hot and sweaty when you do it, maybe suggest an afternoon rest and head back to the park for the evening. You'll be fresher than if you had walked around all day.

Good luck and congratulations!

I know she will like it no matter what I do, but that said, I still want it to be as perfect as possible (I know something outside my control is bound to happen, and when it does, I'll roll with it).

We aren't the kind of people who do the 'afternoon rest', so she would definitely be suspicious if I suggested that. We're more the 8am-2am 'parkhop to take advantage of both morning EMH and evening EMH' types. Thanks though!

Any other suggestions? Specifically, what could I do at a combination of the monorail resorts that first evening (dinner at Cali Grill, beach of Poly for fireworks afterwards?) that would be really romantic?

Thanks!

H20Babie

Here is my suggestion: Make a 7:30 dinner reservation at GF or Poly. Finish dinner before the fireworks. After dinner, take a stroll down the beach to watch the EWP and fireworks and propose there. It's more private and more romantic IMO.

H20Babie

These aren't the greatest but will have to do (just bought the camera and was playing with the settings):

Fireworks from pool (not beach, beach is closer):

polynesian-pool-fireworks2.jpg

Poly pier:

polynite.jpg

Montyboy

Here is my suggestion: Make a 7:30 dinner reservation at GF or Poly. Finish dinner before the fireworks. After dinner, take a stroll down the beach to watch the EWP and fireworks and propose there. It's more private and more romantic IMO.

Don't listen to Barbie. I heard she found her engagement ring on a golf course.

H20Babie

Barbie? Barbie who? :)

Yes, I did find my engagement ring in the 18th hole, but that was not planned by me and we both loved to golf ... and I loved it!

Philo

My next question is if I should just suck it up and do it the next night. We will be in the MK that night for MVMCP. How crowded will it be that night? I would want to do it during the fireworks, but I don’t want to do it in a crowd of people; would that even be possible? I have thought about waiting until after the park closes, and doing it at the castle when the crowds have cleared—specifically, I have thought of asking a CM to “take our picture” and then right as s/he was about to take it, popping the question.

Thats how I did it! Given the parks was fairly quiet anyway (January) but I suggested we wait till the crowds are through the gates before exiting. About 10mins after the fireworks is was pretty empty so I could ask in private (Neither of us would have wanted large crowds). We're not the type of people who dress up for restaurants etc so the end of the day thing wasn't a problem but I think most girls would like to be dressed up for such an occasion so a restaurant isn't a bad idea.

As for the California Grill - I love it but I wouldn't want to propose there because it would be too crowded. It's not like your sitting really close to people but I would want more privacy. Its the same when you go to the balcony for the fireworks. The balcony probably isn't big enough to make sure you get a private spot and whilst there is a great view, it can't be seen from all over the restaurant. Perhaps if you tell them what you are doing they will make sure you get a great spot. I seem to remember seeing the water parade from the grill too - small but nice all the same.

If possible then you might want to go for a walk on the beach at the poly after you meal (even after the fireworks I'm sire it would be romantic). If your staying onsite then you could ask a CM at the resort if you could have a bottla of champagne put in your room for when you get back in the evening.

Phil

p.s. Congratulations!

I know that the Royal Table do a proposal package. Don't quote me on any of this but I think its about $150 and for that you will get your meals (character dining) and you will get a desert in a glass slipper engraved with the wording of your choice. I think the ring can be bought out with the desert too. I'm also pretty sure that if your meal is during the fireworks they make sure that they arrange when they bring you the meals so that you can go outside to see the fireworks.

Montyboy

There is something about getting a proposal package that just sounds... packaged.

Of course I was joking with H2OBa bie. Listen to her, she's a woman. They seem to have a better handle on romance.

Philo

There is something about getting a proposal package that just sounds... packaged
Thats why I didn't go for the option! Whilst it would be very special, it would be the same for so many people. Less chance of being unique and it just wouldn't have fit our style.

You would think that they could have come up with a better name than Proposal Package.

jenlar

With all of the thought you are putting into this event you are already *so* ahead of the game!

We ate at Narcoossee's for our 10th anniversary at the end of last month. It was a very nice setting! We watched Wishes from our table. Also, they personalized our menus, prepared special desserts, and comped everything that wasn't covered by our dining plan as an "anniversary present."

I'd go for Wishes at Narcoossee's. Tell them what you are planning and they will fall all over themselves to make it special. Request a table next to the windows, or just walk onto the porch to watch.

Ohh... but anything you decide... you just can't lose! Congratulations!!!

CheshireBill

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help! I really do appreciate it. It's one of those things that it's easy to get nervous about, and positive reassurance is always nice (although I'd want to know if my ideas were really just plain terrible).

I'm thinking the plan will be dinner at Cali Grill or Narcoossee's a little after 7; Poly beach from around 9:15 p.m. until after the fireworks. My next question is if I should book a room in the Poly that night to 'celebrate'?

I'm already hard pressed for cash and Christmas is going to be a little lighter for my family than normal because of the ring investment, should I splurge on this? Especially considering I'll still be paying for a room at AS:Music that night. I'm wondering if I called Disney if I might be able to get a 1 night deal. I get stuff in the mail all the time about special offers; would they give me a deal if they knew why I was doing this and that I had another room booked for the same night? I could justify spending $150-200, but definitely not the full $329 or whatever. Should I downgrade the meal a notch and use the extra on the room?

Master__Gracey

I wouldn't lower the meal to get an upgraded room. If you call and get a good deal for the night go for it, but I think that being on property will be special enough much less all that happened through the day. You could also use the money to have champagne or flowers in the room when you get back instead of a room upgrade.

wild01ride

Just to elaborate on some of the previous replies and add a little more detail...

Wishes! (Holiday Wishes)-
One important thing that I did not see mentioned is that the Fireworks will NOT be the pure "Wishes!" if it is a MVMCP night. On MVMCP nights (and all nights from Christmas to New Years), Holiday Wishes will be performed.
I have seen it a handful of times but I don't remember a lot of details of the dialogue. I WILL tell you that the dialogue/narration is substantially different from the usual Wishes!, and quite honestly, I'm not a huge fan of it compared to Wishes! Don't get me wrong, it's a Disney firework presentation, so it is definitely great - just not the same Magical feeling for me as Wishes. To me, the flow seems a little more choppy and has a little less of the continuous storyline that Wishes! has. If I'm not mistaken, it should be performed at 9:30p.m.

California Grille-
This is one of the best meal experiences we've had at WDW. The food was amazing, the waiter was wonderful (the place is pricey and has lots of wines - my GF loves wine, but she's no connoisseur - the waiter made excellent suggestions for her and by no means talked down to her for having no clear knowledge of wines). We were able to enjoy views of the MK from our window seat.
That being said, as mentioned above, only the window seats at the restaurant have a view of the MK. Additionally, the monorail track, the backside (LOL!) of Space Mountain, and some service areas are well within the view from this high location.
Personally, even though you can see the MK well, it is not the best vantage point in my opinion.
I have not seen the fireworks from California Grille, so I cannot speak to whether the lights are dimmed and soundtrack played or not.

Narcoosee's-
Narcoosee's may not be romantic-looking in pictures during daylight and definitely doesn't have any of the typical crowded flat stuffy fancy restaurant attitude going on. However, the tiered seating is great for a nice view of the Seven Seas Lagoon during dinner from most of the seats. I have only been once, but during my experience, the food was so-so - definitely NOT worth the money (but I figured the experience was great, so we didn't let it ruin our time there - I find it hard to complain while at WDW).
Preceeding the Fireworks, the lights were dimmed and the soundtrack was played softly in the restaurant and full-volume on the outside deck. We took our drinks and went outside (as did about 50% of the restaurant). We felt comfortable leaving the table for about the 15 minutes and since it is part of the experience, you are definitely NOT made to feel awkward or bad for leaving your dining experience to enjoy the fireworks.

So...I completely understand what you mean about having the perfect moment. As for that, you will have to decide from all the information provided what is best for you two! As many have mentioned, keep in mind that no matter what, this will be an incredible experience that you both will cherish for the rest of your lives (no matter how it all works out).

One last suggestion regarding the room:
What do you think about making a three-segment reservation (AS:M -> Poly -> AS:M). Work it out in a way, whether you alone can check in or whatever, so that you tell her that there was no single room available for the duration of your stay. Tell her that on X day, you will need to pack your bags before you leave in the morning - bell services will gladly transfer your bags to your room at the Poly and they will be waiting there for you when you arrive. Hmm?? Could work and sound legit (heck, I didn't have any "master plan for proposal" and we had to change rooms three times last Christmas season due to room availability).

Good luck and enjoy! A Christmas season proposal will surely be Magical!

jenlar

Tell her that on X day, you will need to pack your bags before you leave in the morning - bell services will gladly transfer your bags to your room at the Poly and they will be waiting there for you when you arrive.

Just to add a little more... bell services is *definitely* on-point with the luggage transfers. We've transferred around property a LOT and they've always handled it without a hitch. In fact, when we transferred from one of the All Star resorts to the Poly our stuff beat us there. I was chatting with one of the bell services CMs while hubby checked in at the Poly, and when he came out the CM looked a bit curious and then asked if our luggage included a giant bottle of Gatorade. It did, and she brought it all up for us!

I'd probably still opt for staying at one hotel, just because it can be a lot of work to pack up, unpack, and pack again. Either way, your whole idea is made entirely of win, and we need details when you get back!

CheshireBill

Original Poster
Just to elaborate on some of the previous replies and add a little more detail...

Wishes! (Holiday Wishes)-
One important thing that I did not see mentioned is that the Fireworks will NOT be the pure "Wishes!" if it is a MVMCP night. On MVMCP nights (and all nights from Christmas to New Years), Holiday Wishes will be performed.
I have seen it a handful of times but I don't remember a lot of details of the dialogue. I WILL tell you that the dialogue/narration is substantially different from the usual Wishes!, and quite honestly, I'm not a huge fan of it compared to Wishes! Don't get me wrong, it's a Disney firework presentation, so it is definitely great - just not the same Magical feeling for me as Wishes. To me, the flow seems a little more choppy and has a little less of the continuous storyline that Wishes! has. If I'm not mistaken, it should be performed at 9:30p.m.

California Grille-
This is one of the best meal experiences we've had at WDW. The food was amazing, the waiter was wonderful (the place is pricey and has lots of wines - my GF loves wine, but she's no connoisseur - the waiter made excellent suggestions for her and by no means talked down to her for having no clear knowledge of wines). We were able to enjoy views of the MK from our window seat.
That being said, as mentioned above, only the window seats at the restaurant have a view of the MK. Additionally, the monorail track, the backside (LOL!) of Space Mountain, and some service areas are well within the view from this high location.
Personally, even though you can see the MK well, it is not the best vantage point in my opinion.
I have not seen the fireworks from California Grille, so I cannot speak to whether the lights are dimmed and soundtrack played or not.

Narcoosee's-
Narcoosee's may not be romantic-looking in pictures during daylight and definitely doesn't have any of the typical crowded flat stuffy fancy restaurant attitude going on. However, the tiered seating is great for a nice view of the Seven Seas Lagoon during dinner from most of the seats. I have only been once, but during my experience, the food was so-so - definitely NOT worth the money (but I figured the experience was great, so we didn't let it ruin our time there - I find it hard to complain while at WDW).
Preceeding the Fireworks, the lights were dimmed and the soundtrack was played softly in the restaurant and full-volume on the outside deck. We took our drinks and went outside (as did about 50% of the restaurant). We felt comfortable leaving the table for about the 15 minutes and since it is part of the experience, you are definitely NOT made to feel awkward or bad for leaving your dining experience to enjoy the fireworks.

So...I completely understand what you mean about having the perfect moment. As for that, you will have to decide from all the information provided what is best for you two! As many have mentioned, keep in mind that no matter what, this will be an incredible experience that you both will cherish for the rest of your lives (no matter how it all works out).

One last suggestion regarding the room:
What do you think about making a three-segment reservation (AS:M -> Poly -> AS:M). Work it out in a way, whether you alone can check in or whatever, so that you tell her that there was no single room available for the duration of your stay. Tell her that on X day, you will need to pack your bags before you leave in the morning - bell services will gladly transfer your bags to your room at the Poly and they will be waiting there for you when you arrive. Hmm?? Could work and sound legit (heck, I didn't have any "master plan for proposal" and we had to change rooms three times last Christmas season due to room availability).

Good luck and enjoy! A Christmas season proposal will surely be Magical!

Thanks for the information. I plan on finding a copy of the Holiday Wishes dialogue so I can get an idea of when, exactly, I want to go for it.

I am still debating which to choose for dinner -- we won't be eating during fireworks, so I'm not sure if I really want the 'better' view from Cali Grill. I think going to a new restaurant might be better, in this case.

Still debating the room. If I do it, it would only be for one night, and we would keep our other reservation (even for that one night) I don't want to deal with transferring rooms halfway, and we definitely can't afford to stay at the Poly for more than one night, anyway.

I'd probably still opt for staying at one hotel, just because it can be a lot of work to pack up, unpack, and pack again. Either way, your whole idea is made entirely of win, and we need details when you get back!

Thanks! I really hope so. It seems like a pretty plain way of proposing when you look at what it basically is: dinner and a walk on the beach afterwards, but I am hoping the little details and extra effort will make it all the more special.

nolatron

My two cents :) Wait for the right "moment" when you are with her, rather than going through the nerve wreck of trying to plan something down to specifics.
I planned on proposing in the Magic Kingdom, someplace around the Wishing Well by the castle but we never could get there where there wasn't a ton of people. All day I was thinking of "backup" locations. I carried the ring in the my pocket all day, but never felt we were in that "right moment". So I just gave up and let things take their course. I'd get to it eventually, heh.

It wasn't until we were back at the Boardwalk resort just relaxing and chatting on the balcony soaking in all the Disney wonder that I pulled the ring out and popped the question. It was just the two of us, the wonderful view, and it probably couldn't have been more perfect. We got married at the Polynesian the following year. :)

Hope that makes sense. :hammer:

jajt6106

What about calling Disney Floral to arrange something? They have a lot of different options that are really nice and they can modify things for your budget. Check out their website and then call to see what they can do.

I'll probably get my first round of tough love comments on this one but I personally think that proposing at the castle, while magical and romantic, is overdone. I am the type that likes something that a thousand other people haven't done. I know it's the moment for you two but still, so many other couples have had that same moment that it's nice to do something different.

I agree that stressing about trying to plan the perfect moment will be harder on you than just letting the moment come up on it's own. She will probably catch on as well if you are stressing about it, which will cause you to act differently than normal. A sure-fire sign that something's up.

There are some beautiful and more private spots throughout all of the parks. Buy a Dole Whip, find a quiet spot (I know it's hard to believe but they do exist) and pop the question. Take her on Dumbo and propose while you are riding that. Get in line for a character meet and greet and prior to getting up there let the CM know what you want to do then see if the character will help you (if she has a favorite character go for that one). Go for a horse drawn carriage ride at one of the resorts or rent a boat for a quiet ride on the lake. There are lots of options for you that won't cost a ton of money and will be really special.

What I love is that our Vow Renewal was a Disney MGM (now Hollywood Studios) and now everytime we go there, we have our own "special places" that we go back to visit. My husband even dances with me where we shared our "first dance" and whether we are all alone there or in a crowd of hundreds, it's special every time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom