FastPass: The Great Debate

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
Is Fastpass good for Disney? I think it is woderful, and don't believe the hype that it makes standby lines longer as many people seem to. It has frequently made my trip much easier! I know this is the ongoing debate, and I am hoping to get a good one going here!

sknydave

I like it. I use it. I like the fact that it's on a first come - first serve basis, and not for purchase like at Universal.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My personal opinion is that FastPass is a non-issue. If the people who take FPs didn't have access to them, the vast majority would just be in the Stand-By line. The same number of riders load regardless of which line they come from, the only difference is the FP users have actually chosen to wait longer to board, just they're waiting elsewhere.

There is a psychological impact that people have as a result of the perceived "special status" of people with FPs "bypassing" the Stand-By line, but in reality it is just that... perception. Because the same numbers of people load at the same rate regardless of which line they're in, the end result is both lines are, by nature, shorter.

For Disney, there are gains and losses involved. They gain by having a number of people wandering the parks that would otherwise be stuck in a line so they may be spending more money. They lose by the expenses involved, the FP machines, paper for passes, staff to monitor both the machines and access/egress to the FP lines and probably some additional computer infrastructure to coordinate gate entry with FP use and timings for issuance and availability of FPs. At the end of the day I suspect, knowing Disney, that it works out to a net gain.

k.hunter30

I like it. I use it. I like the fact that it's on a first come - first serve basis, and not for purchase like at Universal.
I agree with sknydave. That way you can't be too angry when you see five Fastpass people and one regular line person get on a ride. Everyone had the same opportunity to get the fastpass.

darthjohnny

Is Fastpass good for Disney? I think it is woderful, and don't believe the hype that it makes standby lines longer as many people seem to. It has frequently made my trip much easier! I know this is the ongoing debate, and I am hoping to get a good one going here!

I do love fast pass. One of the great perks is that it is free, unlike the Universal Studios Express Pass.

I think the stand-by lines are not that affected by fast pass, because if there was no fast pass, then more people would be on the line.

However, if the cast member is not doing their job right, they could be letting more fast pass people in and not letting enough stand-by people in, thus backing up the stand-by line and increasing the wait time. :)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I consider it a great perk for those with a bit of planning to their visit. On busy days it really makes the visit a lot smoother. Yea, you do get those dirty looks, but it's not like everyone else doesn't have the opportunity.

kcnole

If Fastpass return times were enforced it wouldn't be too bad. However since they're not it doesn't work correctly. I will say that it's miles better than Universal's Express Pass.

dave1105

First let me say I love Disney. But last year we got to visit both Disney and Universal and were fortunate enough to stay on property at both. We stayed at Disney first and used the FastPass a few times and enjoyed it. When we went to Universal the ExpressPass was part of the benefits for staying onsite. What I enjoyed more about this was you could walk right up and go on the attraction you wanted to go without having to come back at a later time. It was nice to be able to knock out several rides within a short period of time.

I am guessing the reason they can do this is because they don't get the volume of visitors that Disney does?

palmage

If Fastpass return times were enforced it wouldn't be too bad. However since they're not it doesn't work correctly. I will say that it's miles better than Universal's Express Pass.
Do you mean late returns?
Garnet and Gold in 3 weeks!!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
First let me say I love Disney. But last year we got to visit both Disney and Universal and were fortunate enough to stay on property at both. We stayed at Disney first and used the FastPass a few times and enjoyed it. When we went to Universal the ExpressPass was part of the benefits for staying onsite. What I enjoyed more about this was you could walk right up and go on the attraction you wanted to go without having to come back at a later time. It was nice to be able to knock out several rides within a short period of time.

I am guessing the reason they can do this is because they don't get the volume of visitors that Disney does?
Universal Express Pass is one of the two primary reasons I have not been to Universal in more that 4 years. With the Express Pass US and IOA are great but without it they are a pain. It was somewhat bearable when they had the free Express Pass but now that that is gone the only way I would go to US or IOA is if I was staying on property.

kcnole

Do you mean late returns?

Yes, if you were required to use it within the two hour return time frame it wouldn't be so bad.

As for Universal's express pass. It's awful if you're not using it. It makes their lines around 3-4 times longer. They're able to do it because the unlimited pass only is for their hotel guests which is only a few thousand people and the other pass costs around 50 dollars during peak time so not that many people use it.

It does make the lines awful at Universal. If you have it you can knock out all the rides in a short amount of time. Without it you can forget it.

The Mom

Premium Member

3 onsite hotels for 2 parks vs ? 16 for 4? Can you imagine all of those people having unlimited front of the line privileges? No one who ISN"T staying onsite would get on any rides. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, if you were required to use it within the two hour return time frame it wouldn't be so bad.

As for Universal's express pass. It's awful if you're not using it. It makes their lines around 3-4 times longer. They're able to do it because the unlimited pass only is for their hotel guests which is only a few thousand people and the other pass costs around 50 dollars during peak time so not that many people use it.

It does make the lines awful at Universal. If you have it you can knock out all the rides in a short amount of time. Without it you can forget it.
Exactly. To add insult to injury US resorts are super overpriced even compared to WDW.

WDWFigment

What's even better than the fast pass is the complimentary fast passes you can get from CMs if something 'bad' happened to you in the park. What's even better than something bad actually happening is being the friend of a CM who gives you ten. You don't have to worry about acquiring fatpasses or returning at a certain time. It really makes the parks much more leisurely and enjoyable.

I'm sure this isn't perceived by fair by a lot of you, but it is nice to have this sort of experience for one trip!

coltow

I think fast passes are one of the best inventions WDW has come up with. It makes it seems as though you get to ride more by getting to bypass the lines for some attractions. I also like that it gives me to opportunity to choose which rides I want to wait in line for and which rides I don't want to wait in line for. I also like that it is not available for everything, there are some attractions that the lines run very quickly (like POTC) so fast passes are not necessary.

I was at Universal a few years ago and did stay on site so was able to use their system and in some cases you entered the rides at the exits, so you missed the whole pre-story to the ride. Also at the time, you could only bypass the line 1 time per ride per day. So if you wanted to ride something 2 or more times you HAD to wait in line.

philsfan2185

Fast pass is good. Some people find it more effective than others because they plan ahead allowing them to experience as many attractions as possible. Some people just get a fast pass and sit around relaxing while waiting for their return time. It all depends how aggressive of an approach you want to take.

yazmin182

I think Fastpass is great. The way Disney has it set-up is really good because it is very convenient and it's free at the same time. Cedar Point has a fast pass type system that they do but it does not compare to Disney's. The way they do it is you show up in front of the a specific ride during a pre-scheduled time. They have a booth there and you have to stand in line (usually it's really really long) and you get your hand stamped and on the stamp is what time you can come back for the ride.

Definately not as advanced as Disney and they don't give that many of them out.

Turcicus

FastPass can't be beat, seriously. If it wasn't for FP, I wouldn't get on half the rides I do in one day. And now I dread going to any other theme park because I know I'll have to wait more than 30 minutes to ride a ride!

bladerunner

If Disney ever gets rid of FastPass I won't renew our 5 PAP's (going on year 5 this year). It is that simple.

Our Disney experience for the last 4 years has been greatly enhanced by FastPass - I cannot having to wait in long lines any more - not only me but for the family experience and us having time to do other things... including shopping and eating.

EpcotServo

Fastpass is the great-big Catch 22 of Disney. On the one hand, Yea. It's a big help for rides like Splash Mountain and Big Thunder on those crowded days. On the other hand, it slows down Standby creating a bigger line, so more people get Fastpass which slows the Standby line even more. But my big problem with Fastpass is that it's really reeked havoc on the common guest thinking. Now if guests can't get Fastpass, they start to yell and scream that they of all people have to wait in a line. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a family of guests at one of the big rides like Everest around closing time complaining loudly to the Cast Members how they can't get a Fastpass. They then always storm off saying "I'm not waiting in that 20 minute line" If it's above ten minutes, most of them demand Fastpasses. Fastpass has made guests seem even more entitled to walk on even though 20 minutes ain't that bad of a wait.

Another thing about Fastpass is why it was made. Most guests just think it's there for them. Nope. Fastpass was made for MONEY. They want you to turn right around and shop your mind out. It wasn't made to help you! It's made to help them. But, I still use it to great advantage. That's why it's such a catch-22.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom