2007 Official Photography Contest Weekly TOPICS and RULES

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
2007 Official Contest Calendarupdated 11/15/06

This has been a very interesting year. In my first year taking over these contests, I have learned a lot about how to run them. But I believe that with the rules being enforced once again...things will continue to grow. For those of you who may need a refresher on the rules, you can find them under the new topics for this year.

Dispite all the drama that has happened in this last year, I do feel the contests have been good....through this date, we have had more than 1200 photos entered for the contests.

I am putting the topics on now because I wanted to get them up before a lot of you went on your annual pilgrimage to The World for this festive holiday season so that those of you who are going can start to get some great photos for next year.

This upcoming year I have gone with some of the old stand by topics (Magic Kingdom, Live Entertainment, etc) but I've also added some of the new topics that were such a success last year (Signage, Nighttime) and I've included quite a few new topics...some of which came straight from you!

I will continue the trend that was started last year for the summer months. There will only be 3 contests in the months of June, July, and August with those contests lasting for 10 days each.

Mostly though the contests will be run the way that they always have been. I hope that you all have as much fun with these contests as I do though. That is the main purpose. So without further ado, I present this year's Topics! :sohappy:

*This calendar will be ever-changing, and is a work-in-progress, but as of right now, this is it.*

January
5-11 Live entertainment (non-character) contestShoot a picture of your favorite live entertainment (streetmosphere or whatnot)
12-18 Main Street USA photo contest Pictures must be taken in and of Main Street USA. Pictures of the castle will NOT be accepted
19-25 Merchandise photo contest Disney always sets up cute displays and everybody takes a picture at some point.
26-2/1 Monorail contest The monorail at WDW, DL, or TDL are acceptable as subjects

February
2-8 World Showcase Photo Contest Picture must be taken in and of part of Epcot's World Showcase
9-15 Valentine's Day contest Share a picture that shows "love" in the Disney parks
16-22 Pooh and Friends Contest Anything related to Pooh, or any of Pooh's friends will be accepted
23-3/1 Comic Relief This contest is to focus on the funnier side of Disney. Any picture that has something comical in it can be entered.

March
2-8 Adventureland Adventureland in any of the Disney parks will be applicable
9-15 Disney Princesses Any photo taken of any Disney Princess will be accepted
16-22 Hidden Mickeys Photograph your favorite hidden Mickey. The photo must be of an "official" Hidden Mickey
23-29 Pixar Like it or loathe it, Pixar is Disney now. Any photo of something Pixar related will be accepted.
30-4/5 Indoor Photos must be taken inside, of anything Disney related

April
6-12 Tomorrowland Picures must be take in and of Tomorrowland
13-19 Kids in the Kingdom This contest is especially for those that like to take photos of their (or someone else's) children
20-26 Rides Photograph your favorite ride
27-5/3 Animal Kingdom Photos must be in and of Disney's Animal Kingdom

May
4-10 Disney-MGM Studios Photos must be taken in and of Disney MGM Studios
11-17 Flower & Tree Contest The gardens of the Disney parks and resorts is the theme
18-24 Happiness Photo Contest This contest is more abstract. Anything that conveys the emotion of happiness is acceptable
25-31 Fantasyland Fantasyland in any of the Disney parks will be applicable.

June
1-10 The Architecture of Disney Photos should include architectural elements seen on Disney property.
11-20 Disney Icons Photos must be focused on a Disney Park Icon
21-30 Parades Photos of any Disney parade will be accepted

July
1-10 Celebrate America, Disney style What goes better together than Disney and America? This contest combines the two
11-20 Fireworks Firework photographs are the theme
21-31 Pirates Photos involving any aspect of Disney Pirates are acceptable

August
1-10 Fab 4 This contest is for the characters Minnie, Goofy, Donald, and Pluto. Any photo that includes any or all of these characters is sufficient.
11-20 Water Any photo of water will qualify
21-30 Signage This contest revolves around the signs of the Disney resort

September
8/31-6 Photoshopped Contest This is the only contest I will allow photoshoping or editing being done to photos. Be creative.
7-13 Macro Photo contest Getting up close and personal with Disney
14-20 Resorts Photography Contest Any photo taken at a Disney hotel will qualify
21-27 Nighttime Photo Contest Photos must be taken at night of anything on Disney property
28-10/4 The Magic Kingdom Any photo taken inside the Magic Kingom will be accepted

October
5-11 EPCOT Photos must be taken from inside Epcot
12-18 Audio Anamatronic Contest This contest is to feature any AA found on Disney property
19-25 Disney Villains This contest is self-explanatory. It is based of the villains of Disney
26-11/1 Halloween It‘s the spookiest time of year. Halloween is the theme for this contest

November
2-8 Live Animals Contest This contest is for any live animal found in a Disney park
9-15 Disney Transportation This contest includes all the different types of transportation that Disney has. (The only exception is the monorail will not be included.)
16-22 Restaurants/Food & Drink Photos can be taken in any restaurant on property or of any food and/or drink at a restaurant.
23-29 WDW Mountains Photos must include any of the WDW mountain ranges
30-12/6 Cast Member Appreciation Photos should be of cast members making “magic“

December
7-13 Your Favorite Disney Picture Pick the picture that you like the best
14-20 Mickey Mouse Photo Contest M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E is this week‘s theme
21-1/3/07 Christmas in the Resorts Photos must be related to Christmas at the Disney resorts
21-1/3/07 Christmas in the Parks Photos must be related to Christmas in any of the Disney parks

Official Contest Rules

Contests will run from Friday-Thursday 11:59pm PACIFIC TIME, submissions after this time will not be included. An individual thread will be created for each contest.

1 submission per member, per contest. Once you post your picture, you can not replace it. You can not re-use the same entry in multiple contests.

Pictures can be taken with any type of camera (film or digital)

Pictures can not be altered in any way, except to adjust size, crop, or add your own personal watermark. This is a photography contest, not a photo-editing contest.

Please resize pictures to be no larger than 700x525

Please do not attach the photo to your post. Upload it to the WDWMagic photo album, or your own personal site and link the photo. If you use your own site, you are responsible to ensure the photo is viewable at all times (and not subject to bandwidth limitations).

Pictures can be taken at any time for any contest (if you visited in April of 2002, you can use those pictures for any contest that interests you).

Pictures must be taken by the member submitting the entry, and not by a family member or by a cast member.

Voting will begin within a day or two of the contest's end.
If 20 or less people participated, 1 poll will be posted, and it will be open for 6 days.
If more than 20 entries exist, the entries will be divided into similar-sized groups, and will be listed in the order that they were submitted. The preliminary polls will be open for 4 days. The top 3 entries (and entries with votes equal to the third place entry in the SAME poll) from each preliminary poll will advance to a final poll, which will remain open for 3 days.

No breaking of park rules or common etiquette to take your pictures. (no accessing restricted areas, no flash photography on attractions which do not allow it....stuff like that)

The overall subject of the contest is "Disney". Although some contests are specific to areas of Walt Disney World, anything "Disney related" can be taken for other contests, including, but not limited to, other Disney parks. For contests like the "Adventureland photo contest", any Disney park's Adventureland would be accepted.

Most of all, this is all for FUN.

TiggerBW

They look great! Thanks!
One suggestion: how about a Downtown Disney photo contest? Just a thought. Maybe it's there and I missed it too! :wave:

DDuckFan130

That's exactly why there wasn't one. There just wasn't room this year! :lol: Trust me...I wanted a lot of contests that didn't make it in this year.
If you were to stick it in there, I'd probably substitute it for the Pirates theme. I'm not sure if that theme will be broad enough. It might be, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. Trial and error :lol:

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
If you were to stick it in there, I'd probably substitute it for the Pirates theme. I'm not sure if that theme will be broad enough. It might be, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. Trial and error :lol:
my thought was there might be some more possible photos what with the pirates and princess parties coming up in the next few months. But of course the list is subject to change and should I believe I should substitute it...that would probably be where I would.

DDuckFan130

my thought was there might be some more possible photos what with the pirates and princess parties coming up in the next few months. But of course the list is subject to change and should I believe I should substitute it...that would probably be where I would.
Oh I forgot about those parties. I guess we'll get more than the ride then :lol:

Nemo14

Oh - I thought the rules said not to post the photo to the forum. I'm so confused. Thanks!
No, I think you may have misunderstood.
First download your photos to the photo albums here:http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=137583, then post them into the contests by clicking on them in your album, copying the address, then posting that in the prompt you get when you click on the little yellow icon at the top of your message.

Nemo14

You can post the photos in this week's contest's thread...but the entries are not supposed to be posted in this thread. Does that clear things up?
I think she couldn't find this week's thread Nibbs. it's all taken care of and the picture is posted in the current contest!

m star

One possible theme for a future year could be construction photos. Many members on this site take pictures of attractions or other buildings that are being built at WDW...

WDWFigment

Could someone explain the size limit to me please? I understand bandwidth might be an issue, but why not strongly encourage people use free image hosting sites (which are extremely prevalent nowadays) to avoid that concern? Or make using larger photos contingent upon using an outside host (which would effectively 'force' anyone with common sense to use an outside host).

With picture of the day threads far exceeding the number of pictures this forum gets, and having no regulation, I just don't see this restriction as practical. Either add restrictions to those, or remove the restrictions from these, for consistency's sake. Especially considering the fact that this is a contest (I know it's for fun, but it's still a contest), I would think this would therefore be given 'bandwidth priority' over a picture-of-day thread. By limiting pictures to 700 x 525, you're limiting so much of the beautiful details in the pictures. What's the point in having this contest in the first place if only half of the pictures' detail can be made out? I'm not trying to cause any drama or anything, I just think an explanation here would be good; if there is no explanation outside of those I've anticipated, I think it might be time to reconsider the rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom