Recent photos of River Country

Aurora_25

Very interesting, I never got to go to River Country so this is the first I have really seen of it. Pardon my "dumb" question, but why did they shut it down?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How sad? How many people grew up on those slides? You`d have thought after Horizons and 20K they would have learnt (okay - a general guest can`t get this close). Hopefully the more these types of pictures get out, the more the company will be embarrassed into doing something. Anything - even if it means diverting the bulldozer from Epcots wand for a while.

Thanks for posting.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Very interesting, I never got to go to River Country so this is the first I have really seen of it. Pardon my "dumb" question, but why did they shut it down?
Nothing official has ever been released but the suspected reasons were issues with water quality, shortage of lifeguards, low attendance, 2 other water parks, too small etc.

Very cool pictures. It almost looks like a scene from one of those post apocalyptic movies. I half expected to see little mutated ape children hiding in the bushes.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Very cool pictures. It almost looks like a scene from one of those post apocalyptic movies. I half expected to see little mutated ape children hiding in the bushes.

The bizarre thing is there is absolutely no animal life whatsoever. You'd think you'd see birds, lizards, etc, but nothing. That does add to the creepiness.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The bizarre thing is there is absolutely no animal life whatsoever. You'd think you'd see birds, lizards, etc, but nothing. That does add to the creepiness.
New River Country closure conspiracy theory!

It was a toxic waste spill from the Nuclear power plant that was approved but never built at WDW.:lookaroun

:lol:

TheDisneyGirl02

I was never to River Country, but just by seeing the pictures, I wish I would have gone there. It's so sad to see those pictures. It seems like a waste of space...everything is already built, why not open it back up again? So sad...

TheDisneyGirl02

DisneyDragon

River Country was a fun park, although, by today's standards, it would really miss the mark. Two body slides, one mild tube ride, a high-drop slide guaranteed to jam water up your nose; and zip lines.

I remember plenty of fun (between ages of 7 and 12, or so); and I remember that the water smelled funny.

Now we learn, years later, of the toxic organisms in the water. As a former toxicologist, I looked it up years ago, and I want to say bacteria, but I have a funny feeling it was amebic. It was a seriously nasty beastly thing that I'd never let my kids swim in.

Alas, brings back memories...

tink81

Those pictures make my heart hurt. I absolutely loved River Country, everything is just as I remember it (minus the sludge, overgrow and general nastiness). I was just a hair too little to ride the "big people slide" and I was looking forward to going on it the next visit, but alas my parents got divorced and the Disney trips stopped for a while and then it closed. I always felt I had some unfinished business with River Country. Oh well, thank you for the pics anyway!

mrtoad

Looks kind of like the reflecting pool by the Washington and Lincoln monuments in DC in the movie Logan's Run.

Makes me sad too, I loved River Country as a kid.

optjay

Very sad to see!!

As much as I do like the two other parks, I loved River Country!!

This is the water park I first went to, and would love to take my young ones as my dad did!!

The quaintness , the old watering hole look , the location was great.

Wish they would rehab this one!!

doop

Those pictures are thoroughly depressing, nonetheless, thanks for sharing them. River country was so awesome! :(

Thanks for the great pictures, I remember a few months back some were posted but they were not nearly as complete as these. The photos bring back some great memories of my early visits to WDW.

I really liked the pictures of the kiddie slides that now appear to end on ground level. They would be a little painful on the backside now :eek:

PhilharMagician

I hope WDC finally does something with this. It has been almost 2 years since it was announced to be closed forever. RC is an abolute disgrace!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom