What's being done at the Main Street Bakery?

captainkidd

Fantasmic won't be closed in Fabruary...unless I'm missing something on Disney World's site. And yea, I missed the Electrical Parade.

but there's still literally hundreds of more things to see, do, and eat. Half price is kind of going overboard.

I was exaggerating.

Honestly, I'm OK with all the closures, EXCEPT for both the Main Street Electrical Parade and Fantasmic being down at the same time. That's very poor planning.

disney fan 13

Big Thunder needs it
Dumbo =two others around the corner
Main Street Electrical Parade bad parade
Plaza Ice Cream Shop fair enough even though there are other places to get ice cream
Tutto Italia are you really mad because of this? there's like 6 other country's to choose from
Fantasmic needs it
Kali River Rapids are you really going to ride it in the cold
Typhoon Lagoon see above

That's a lot of stuff down at one time.

this is how it should be http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/schedule/stop/index.html

P.S keep scrolling to see tokyo disneysea

Communicore

I stopped by the bakery and noticed they had no more stack sandwiches. The entrance and exit are the same door, the one by the registers. The pastries looked yummy as usual! :lol:

ChristianG

I hate those scrims, they're very distracting. But I love how they are giving Main Street so much attention! I'm all for a refurb/touch up!

captainkidd

Big Thunder needs it - Agreed.
Dumbo =two others around the corner Um, no.
Main Street Electrical Parade bad parade Opinion, and not mine.
Plaza Ice Cream Shop fair enough even though there are other places to get ice cream Not hard ice cream. Not in the Magic Kingdom.
Tutto Italia are you really mad because of this? there's like 6 other country's to choose from No. Wouldn't have gone there anyway. I'm just saying.
Fantasmic needs it Don't know. Haven't seen it in years. I just think it's bad timing to have 2 nighttime shows down at the same time.
Kali River Rapids are you really going to ride it in the cold Who says it's going to be cold? Average high in February is 74.
Typhoon Lagoon see above That I wouldn't do open or not.

I'm not against refurbs. I'm not even against multiple ones at the same time (except for the parade and Fantasmic.) What I'm against is the length of time these refurbs take. Maybe people just don't remember, but there was a time not so long ago, where the work they're doing on Thunder Mountain would have been done in 4 weeks, not 4 months.

hpyhnt 1000

I understand, but work was done to every single building on Main Street in recent years. It can't be THAT bad.
While work has been taking place on Main Street, the Bakery has not yet received the same restoration as the other facades. The only other recorded refurbishment that the Bakery has undergone in recent years (per WDWMagic) was nearly 2.5 years ago for 10 days (Sept 28, 2009 to Oct 8, 2009). So the Bakery is due for a significant refurbishment.

The key thing is, it DOESN'T have to be done when people are in the parks. As I said, there was a time when work like this was done overnight.
It is being done overnight. And I might add that many videos of WDW past will reveal that work used to be done in full view of guests, from painting to cleaning to replanting. I imagine opinions on this practice differ but the fact of the matter is that maintenance was not always done at night in the celebrated 80s and 90s.

If Disney wanted to spend the money to have it done quickly, this type of work could be done within a week's worth of overnight shifts - At the most.
Probably. But the extra labor costs associated with this makes this prohibitive. And since some kind of facade cover would still be needed to cover the work during the day, I don't really see this as a convincing argument, particularly given how well themed today's facade scrims are.

Responses in red.

trr1

Not necessarily. I'm going next month, and there are so many walls up and attractions closed, tickets should be half price.
I don't remember the last time I went to Disney and there wasn't SOME sort of facade up on Main Street. What annoys me is, Disney used to take of these things, literally, over night. Now, it takes them weeks, if not months, to do an exterior touch up. I said this on another thread - I've seen restaurants built from scratch, open up in the time it's taking Disney to clean up the exterior of much smaller buildings.

And why are the Christmas decorations still up?

how do you think the people in california feel . DCA for the last year or so all they had was walls as they rethemed 3/4th of the park.

Thrill

Not necessarily. I'm going next month, and there are so many walls up and attractions closed, tickets should be half price.

I don't remember the last time I went to Disney and there wasn't SOME sort of facade up on Main Street. What annoys me is, Disney used to take of these things, literally, over night. Now, it takes them weeks, if not months, to do an exterior touch up. I said this on another thread - I've seen restaurants built from scratch, open up in the time it's taking Disney to clean up the exterior of much smaller buildings.

Tarps and walls are better than worn down buildings.

As for attraction closures, I was not aware of anything extremely prohibitive going on at the time or in the near future. Big Thunder Mountain and Fantasmic are the only two major refurbs for longer than a month on the current schedule for 2012, and both attractions seriously need it.

Disneyland does so many refurbs, and their rides look brand new. As they say, beggars can't be choosers. If you don't want ride closures, don't expect the rides to look great.

I can understand why they tend to do these refurbs in the slower months, but why should the people who chose to go during that time have to put up with it? It's a necessary evil, I get it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck!

There's no such thing as a free lunch, as the saying goes. Go in the peak seasons, and you're stuck with the crowds. Go in the offseason, and you're stuck with refurbs.

this is how it should be http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/schedule/stop/index.html

P.S keep scrolling to see tokyo disneysea

And people wonder how Tokyo's parks are consistently praised.
These refurbs aren't even long. 2-3 weeks, mostly. But 2-3 weeks every year or so is doable, and is easier to swallow than 2, 3, 4 or even more months every 5-10 years.
A rolling refurb schedule like Tokyo's or even Disneyland's is exactly what WDW needs.

I'm not against refurbs. I'm not even against multiple ones at the same time (except for the parade and Fantasmic.) What I'm against is the length of time these refurbs take. Maybe people just don't remember, but there was a time not so long ago, where the work they're doing on Thunder Mountain would have been done in 4 weeks, not 4 months.

It's aging, and has suffered from many years of neglect did not help. They can't go back in time to maintain it on a regular basis, all they can do is give it the long term refurbishment that it needs today.

how do you think the people in california feel . DCA for the last year or so all they had was walls as they rethemed 3/4th of the park.

Disneyland has a pretty grueling cycle of refurbishments as well. If I remember correctly, there was a period in early fall where Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Space Mountain were all down simultaneously for refurbs. I might be off slightly (maybe it was Indiana Jones instead of Pirates?), but it was some combination of 3 E-Tickets all at once.

TheBeatles

disney fan 13

Tarps and walls are better than worn down buildings.

As for attraction closures, I was not aware of anything extremely prohibitive going on at the time or in the near future. Big Thunder Mountain and Fantasmic are the only two major refurbs for longer than a month on the current schedule for 2012, and both attractions seriously need it.

Disneyland does so many refurbs, and their rides look brand new. As they say, beggars can't be choosers. If you don't want ride closures, don't expect the rides to look great.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, as the saying goes. Go in the peak seasons, and you're stuck with the crowds. Go in the offseason, and you're stuck with refurbs.

And people wonder how Tokyo's parks are consistently praised.
These refurbs aren't even long. 2-3 weeks, mostly. But 2-3 weeks every year or so is doable, and is easier to swallow than 2, 3, 4 or even more months every 5-10 years.
A rolling refurb schedule like Tokyo's or even Disneyland's is exactly what WDW needs.

It's aging, and has suffered from many years of neglect did not help. They can't go back in time to maintain it on a regular basis, all they can do is give it the long term refurbishment that it needs today.

Disneyland has a pretty grueling cycle of refurbishments as well. If I remember correctly, there was a period in early fall where Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Space Mountain were all down simultaneously for refurbs. I might be off slightly (maybe it was Indiana Jones instead of Pirates?), but it was some combination of 3 E-Tickets all at once.

Agree 100 percent, people don't understand that the attitude that captain Kidd has taken ( not singling you out for anything more then a example) is one of the reasons that WDW is in the shape it is and how Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland are way better in that aspect.

Look at it this way, if someone went to Tokyo Disneyland today I would give you 20 bucks if you could find 2-3 brocken AA's in both parks. Good luck

WDW1974

TDR does things right. DLR does things right.

WDW fundamentally doesn't. No matter what some in the fan community choose to tell themselves. It doesn't.

Attractions and facilities at the world's most visited theme parks are OBVIOUSLY going to require downtime or else fall into disrepair, decay and (for TRUE fans) despair. I am just amazed that WDW Co has been succesful in Walmarting a large part of their consumers to the point they don't give a damn how things look, how stale, tired or neglected. Just so long as everything is open. This is despite having FOUR parks, two water parks and massive recreational options.

WDW is run so diametrically different from any of the other resorts worldwide (and from how it was run for roughly its first 25 years).

DL opened in 1955 and largely looks spic and span no matter how busy, or what time of year (its disgusting parking structure nonwithstanding). TDL opened in 1983 and looks like that was yesterday.

The MK looks like ... like its very happy it has Social Media whores and fanbois with psych attachments to the BRAND and the ever MAGICal official Disney Parks Propaganda Blog (I hear that cutie Jenn's been tweeting up the fanbois a lot of late!)

~Never Been Better (at BSing those who don't know better!)~

WDW1974

Exactly the reason we put off our 1st trip to Disneyland for another year.

If I had been to WDW 30-odd times (and I've been a whole lot more), I would have gone to DL a lot longer ago.

The sooner you (NOT YOU in particular) get beyond WDW and realize there are other options to feed the pixie dust addiction that won't make you question your sanity for giving them your hard-earned dollars for a constantly diminished experience, the better your Disney fix will feel.

I find that some folks get so stuck on the WDW 'total immersion' factor (not quite sure what they are immersed in these days as its not 1991 anymore) that they head to Anaheim and have issues with the compactness of the resort or the fact you can walk to McD's, Denny's, Tony Romo's, Mimi's Cafe, IHop all in about the same distance it takes to walk from the MK entrance to the 'MAGICal' Disney bus line or the fact that DL is located in a very crowded (and diverse) part of the USA and the vibe is VERY different from O-Town.

I'd get to DL as soon as you can.

~It could be too late!~

WDW1974

Agree 100 percent, people don't understand that the attitude that captain Kidd has taken ( not singling you out for anything more then a example) is one of the reasons that WDW is in the shape it is and how Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland are way better in that aspect.

Look at it this way, if someone went to Tokyo Disneyland today I would give you 20 bucks if you could find 2-3 brocken AA's in both parks. Good luck

You have no idea. The AAs there are the absolute best I've seen. Not only do they all work, but they work as intended. You don't hear squeaking or clacking as hydraulics move. They are silent except whatever soundtrack they are programmed with.

I can't recall when WDW's AAs didn't sound like they came out of a Simpsons or Family Guy joke.

~Just Don't Expect a Diet Coke!~

robw1997

I'm not sure why everyone is so upset about an exterior refurbishment. When I was there in Feb. 2010, they were refurbishing the Exposition Hall, Ice Cream Parlor, back of the Train Station, and bottom part of the Castle all at the same time! And guess what..... I still had a GREAT time.

Jane Doe

Main Street Electrical Parade

Fantasmic

With these being down due to refurbishments it's going to mean more people attending the showing of Illuminations and Wishes. With regards to Wishes, isn't this going to mean a large chunk of prime viewing area being obscured by scaffold/scrim? And how the heck is this going to work with the reduced parade route when the resurfacing takes place later this month?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom