D23 Anniversary Party at WDW

WDWFigment

Honestly, I am expecting PR. If they go beyond that and give more pictures, more information, more models, I'm very happy to eat my words. :) Since the beginning, I've asked them to prove me wrong. :lol:

Another good point; our mutual expectations for the event inform and guide our assertions here, so if your baseline expectation is low and mine is high, it makes sense that we're talking past one another. Maybe it's one of those where the jury is out until the actual event occurs. Although at that point, you can't go back and "re-experience" it, so I guess it's whether the cost is worth the gamble to you? At this point in my life, my income doesn't allow that type of a gamble. In a couple of years, I would gladly pay $140 for this event, even if it's just PR.

EPCOT Explorer

Another good point; our mutual expectations for the event inform and guide our assertions here, so if your baseline expectation is low and mine is high, it makes sense that we're talking past one another. Maybe it's one of those where the jury is out until the actual event occurs. Although at that point, you can't go back and "re-experience" it, so I guess it's whether the cost is worth the gamble to you? At this point in my life, my income doesn't allow that type of a gamble. In a couple of years, I would gladly pay $140 for this event, even if it's just PR.

For the most part, yes, the jury is out until this occurs. And even then it's personal opinion, as always. Unless it really is a flop, after all.

As for paying for these things, it's not even a mater of having the money or not. It's a mater of common sense. Why pay for something if you don't know what it's going to get you down the road? (That's for all of D23, not this one event, though that applies heavily)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
For the most part, yes, the jury is out until this occurs. And even then it's personal opinion, as always. Unless it really is a flop, after all.

As for paying for these things, it's not even a mater of having the money or not. It's a mater of common sense. Why pay for something if you don't know what it's going to get you down the road? (That's for all of D23, not this one event, though that applies heavily)
I'm paying ~$65 for dinner, dessert, an 'exclusive' showing of PhilharMagic followed by an Imagineer providing an update on the FL expansion, a character M&G with less-seen characters and a period of time after hours to ride rides that normally have lines too long to be worth it.

How detailed or "new" the Imagineer presentation might be is guesswork at this point, but all the rest sounds well worth ~$65 to me.

The remaining ~$85 of the cost will be applied to an AP renewal I would be doing anyway.

Sorry Evan, but yet again, just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it isn't a great idea for those of us who do.

EpcotServo

Sorry Evan, but yet again, just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it isn't a great idea for those of us who do.

Just because you don't get why it's not worth the salt it's made of doesn't mean you should accuse others of being wrong.
:lol:

"Getting it" = Entirely a matter of perspective.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm paying ~$65 for dinner, dessert, an 'exclusive' showing of PhilharMagic followed by an Imagineer providing an update on the FL expansion, a character M&G with less-seen characters and a period of time after hours to ride rides that normally have lines too long to be worth it.

How detailed or "new" the Imagineer presentation might be is guesswork at this point, but all the rest sounds well worth ~$65 to me.

The remaining ~$85 of the cost will be applied to an AP renewal I would be doing anyway.

Just because you don't get why it's not worth the salt it's made of doesn't mean you should accuse others of being wrong.

You don't get that I think it's a waste of money. :lol:

What Servo Said. It works both ways.:shrug:

_Scar

It's 140 for a once in a lifetime experience- plus you're a major Disney fan like the rest of us. Why wouldn't you want to go? I'd do almost anything to spend my money to do this experience.

To each their own I suppose.

EPCOT Explorer

It's 140 for a once in a lifetime experience- plus you're a major Disney fan like the rest of us. Why wouldn't you want to go? I'd do almost anything to spend my money to do this experience.

To each their own I suppose.
Sure, it is.

Doesn't mean anything revolutionary is going to occur there. Though I hope it does. :lol:

Don't see how being a "major" fan has anything to do with this, and that's exactly the label that I dislike that D23 throws around. You can't put a term to something like that. Everyone is different.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

I most certainly did not accuse Evan of being "wrong". Fortunately, it matters not a lick of the salt you purport it to be made of what his opinion is. I was simply pointing out, in direct response to Evan's statement "Why pay for something if you don't know what it's going to get you down the road?", the aspects of the event that make it worthwhile to me.

You don't get that I think it's a waste of money. :lol:

What Servo Said. It works both ways.:shrug:
I do 'get' that you think it's a waste of money, I just don't care that you think that.

And, Servo said I was accusing you of being "wrong", which I did not do. :wave:

If I need to break down the cost further:

Dinner and Dessert Buffet: $33.01 [for argument's sake I will ignore that both the dinner and dessert will be unique offerings and leave it as the approximate equivalent of a standard WDW Dinner buffet].

Event-specific exclusive pin: $19.95 [again ignoring exclusivity and going with the usual cost of other D23 pins on DisneyShopping.com]

One-day, one-park ticket: $84.14 [current on-line cost of such admission]

Total cost thus far: $137.10

So, for $2.90 I get to have a unique character J&G, an exclusive showing of Philharmagic, an opportunity to ride some FL rides I'd likely never ride otherwise and a session with an Imagineer about the changes coming to FL.

Yessir! I'm clearly "Wasting my money"! :rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

I most certainly did not accuse Evan of being "wrong". Fortunately, it matters not a lick of the salt you purport it to be made of what his opinion is. I was simply pointing out, in direct response to Evan's statement "Why pay for something if you don't know what it's going to get you down the road?", the aspects of the event that make it worthwhile to me.

I do 'get' that you think it's a waste of money, I just don't care that you think that. So, in turn, I don't care that you do? OK. Sure. :lol:

Dinner and Dessert Buffet: $33.01 [for argument's sake I will ignore that both the dinner and dessert will be unique offerings and leave it as the approximate equivalent of a standard WDW Dinner buffet]. I don't think that food is worth that.

Event-specific exclusive pin: $19.95 [again ignoring exclusivity and going with the usual cost of other D23 pins on DisneyShopping.com]Way too much for a pin.

So, for $2.90 I get to have a unique character J&G, an exclusive showing of Philharmagic, an opportunity to ride some FL rides I'd likely never ride otherwise and a session with an Imagineer about the changes coming to FL.
How is Philhar exclusive? It's the same thing you get on any other day in the park.

Why yes, I do think it's a waste of money seeing that the price of travel a factor.

Again, it's all a matter of opinion and perspective.

WDW Vacationer

^Nice breakdown Monty.

Monty never said Evan was wrong either.

Honestly,what do you care about what someone else does with their money. No need to march in with a "D23 Sucks" flag,just say nice,glad you enjoy it.

Horizonstta

No, no need, but this is a place to express opinion, and I will never stop doing that.

Expressing the same opinion over and over is pretty damn annoying, imo of course. Do us all a favor and make one post about your dislike for D23 and just refer to that every time you want to make the same point.

EPCOT Explorer

Yes,this is a place for opinion,not declaring that D23 has no value,or to say someone is wrong for thinking there is value.

I did say there is no value, but no one is wrong in this thread. Never posted that.

Expressing the same opinion over and over is pretty damn annoying, imo of course. Do us all a favor and make one post about you dislike for D23 and just refer to that every time you want to make the same point.

I find people's unbounded and impartial defense of D23 "pretty damn annoying", then. If you read my posts, I do think that D23 is a good concept, and I do have hope that it improves. I'd love to join. Said that a million times over.

But, seeing that people only read what they want to read, and post as such, I'm done with another D23 thread. Seems as though discussion is going in a direction I want to have no part of right now.

:wave:

_Scar

Sure, it is.

Doesn't mean anything revolutionary is going to occur there. Though I hope it does. :lol:

Don't see how being a "major" fan has anything to do with this, and that's exactly the label that I dislike that D23 throws around. You can't put a term to something like that. Everyone is different.

There will probably be something "revolutionary" there- like an annoucement that you hear first. When you're older you can say "Oh, I was there when they announced that." Pretty cool thing to say.

And- I'd think if you were a major fan then you would be interested in this event, that's all. It seems pretty awesome from my perspective at least.

DisneyNut2007

I wouldn't expect to see any of these characters. It will probably be VIP's-Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald etc

They DID say that characters that haven't been seen in a while will be there, so some of those could show up. You never know.

Of course, they'd include the VIP's, too. They'd probably have to.

SoccerMickey

There will probably be something "revolutionary" there- like an annoucement that you hear first. When you're older you can say "Oh, I was there when they announced that." Pretty cool thing to say.

And- I'd think if you were a major fan then you would be interested in this event, that's all. It seems pretty awesome from my perspective at least.

I doubt that anything "revolutionary" will be revealed at this event, the current issue of Disney Twenty-three goes into great detail regarding new Fantasyland, but having going to many D23 events, TO ME, getting imagineering scoop is not the point of attending these events.
I, honestly was like Epcot Explorer. I was excited about the concept so much that I irrationaly bought a subscription on it's first day and I was sorry I did. I just did not see the value. Until I went to the Flower and Fireworks event. I had no expectations for it but it was a great evening. We were catered to every whim by the D23 staff, a great dessert spread with an incredible view of illuminations that we didn't have to wait 3 hours for and a little parting gift that many would consider clutter but to a Disney fan it was just a little something that left you wanting more.
Every time I thought I would be let down by D23 they surprised me. Case in point, the Sip and Stroll event. I was very apprehensive about signing up for this one due to the pricetag and it was only one day but after a high of the Expo and the excitement of the upcoming Magic and Merriment event we signed up and $480 later (for two tickets) I never felt cheated or ripped off. And I think I liked that event more than the Magic and Merriment.
It's hard to say what it is about the events that makes them so special. I can say we met and made new friends at each one, we also saw people meet and start dating at one event. (and they still are dating). The staff gets what peoples expectations are at the events and they truly cater to everyone's needs but for one day, or night, or weekend you feel like that theme park, or stage production, or whatever the venue that's hosting is it's there for you and you alone and to me, that's the value of the events. It's not for everyone, I get that but I like it and I know I am very fortunate that I have been able to participate in as many as I have.

Speaking of D23 if you look in the current issue, towards the front, you will see my picture tasting wine.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Originally Posted by MontyMon

I do 'get' that you think it's a waste of money, I just don't care that you think that. So, in turn, I don't care that you do? OK. Sure. :lol:

Dinner and Dessert Buffet: $33.01 [for argument's sake I will ignore that both the dinner and dessert will be unique offerings and leave it as the approximate equivalent of a standard WDW Dinner buffet]. I don't think that food is worth that.

Event-specific exclusive pin: $19.95 [again ignoring exclusivity and going with the usual cost of other D23 pins on DisneyShopping.com]Way too much for a pin.

How is Philhar exclusive? It's the same thing you get on any other day in the park.
Why yes, I do think it's a waste of money seeing that the price of travel a factor.

Again, it's all a matter of opinion and perspective.

So this has nothing to do with the "value" of a D23 event specifically, but the value of what Disney charges for anything? $33.01 is the going rate for dinner at Boma and $19.95 is what DisneyShopping.com charges for the D23 silver logo pin. But you don't think "food" is worth that and $19.95 is "way too much for a pin"? So you've never eaten at Boma? Never purchased Disney merchandise at face value? :rolleyes:

The price of travel is not a factor, Disney does what Disney does at their venues. If someone chooses to travel to attend, that cost is not part of the Disney offering, it is an individual choice. Just as I didn't factor in shipping charges from DisneyShopping.com, those charges are part of the business of doing business. My comparison is based solely on the actual in-park event as it would be experienced by someone with an AP due to expire at the time mine is, whether they live a ten-minute drive or a 6-hour flight away and the actual posted value of the clearly identified items that will be part of the package.

And I didn't say PhilharMagic is exclusive, I said that included in the remaining $2.10 that the event was costing over and above the predefined, costed items was an exclusive showing of PhilharMagic for the attendees. The distinction is not lost on me.

In my opinion, which you so graciously afford we are allowed to share here, you dislike D23 because it is currently out of your reach. You admit you'd like to join, but you then rationalize your not being able to readily afford it by denigrating it at every opportunity. But of course, that's just my opinion... :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom