Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exprcoofto

If you are passing yourself off as an artist or designer, yes. Today you may see some who build their art in 3D, so the lines are blurry. Writers and producers are not chosen for their art ability.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Is there such a position for a person who comes up with the ideas? (I'm not fancy with job positions quite yet...:lol:) Are you good with physical drawing and were you required to do so while being at WDI?

Expo_Seeker40

Exprcoofto :wave: (What does ur scrn name mean? :lookaroun ) When I worked on last year's ImagiNations project as my team's Art Director, it was good that I can draw (and did draw...alot), but I was also expected to be familiar with floor plans, elevations, architectual symbols, as well as working on the computer in Adobe Creative Suite. My team didn't build a model of our attraction, but with an architect major, illustration major, and myself as an advertising major, I had to rely on everyone's talents, and figure out the best way of making a DisneyParks brand experience........I became a regular at Starbucks drinking coffee.

Even if you have to napkin sketch your ideas out, but if you are into creative writing, your ideas may be great for a producer/writer.

Exprcoofto

Exprcoofto :wave: (What does ur scrn name mean? :lookaroun ) When I worked on last year's ImagiNations project as my team's Art Director, it was good that I can draw (and did draw...alot), but I was also expected to be familiar with floor plans, elevations, architectual symbols, as well as working on the computer in Adobe Creative Suite. My team didn't build a model of our attraction, but with an architect major, illustration major, and myself as an advertising major, I had to rely on everyone's talents, and figure out the best way of making a DisneyParks brand experience........I became a regular at Starbucks drinking coffee.

Even if you have to napkin sketch your ideas out, but if you are into creative writing, your ideas may be great for a producer/writer.
Thanks for the information. I am thinking about ImagiNations later when I'm in College (if its still around then) but besides the experience, do you end up working for WDI or do you just get a first place (or 2nd, 3rd, etc) and go home?

And my name is the first two letters in Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. Ex Pr Co Of To (and I pronounce it as x-pro-cough-to) :D

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Thanks for the information. I am thinking about ImagiNations later when I'm in College (if its still around then) but besides the experience, do you end up working for WDI or do you just get a first place (or 2nd, 3rd, etc) and go home?

And my name is the first two letters in Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. Ex Pr Co Of To (and I pronounce it as x-pro-cough-to) :D

I don't know, sorry. I know there are some that stay on as they are longtime imagineers today but the specifics are beyond me.

HMF

Silly question coming at you, What does a show writer and producer normally do (in terms of WDI)?
The basic gist is (Eddie could probably tell you more) a Show Writer writes the scripts for the attractions and most of the other nomenclature in the park. A Producer is (most of the time) the person who oversees the project or Creative Lead. I believe the Producer reports to one of the vice presidents (Baxter' Jacobson' Rohde' etc.)

Exprcoofto

The basic gist is (Eddie could probably tell you more) a Show Writer writes the scripts for the attractions and most of the other nomenclature in the park. A Producer is (most of the time) the person who oversees the project or Creative Lead. I believe the Producer reports to one of the vice presidents (Baxter' Jacobson' Rohde' etc.)

And is a Producer hired as a Producer, or do they start of lower and work their way up? (I think this discussion might have to carry into another thread, it's quite valuable)

EPCOT Explorer

If the world were a perfect place, I would have that job.:):lol:

HMF

And is a Producer hired as a Producer, or do they start of lower and work their way up? (I think this discussion might have to carry into another thread, it's quite valuable)
They work their way up that is why I am planning on starting as a writer and hopefully eventually become a Producer. I would like to start out as a Producer if that were possible. There is only one Imagineer I know of who started as a Producer and his name is in the title of this thread and posts here frequently.

Exprcoofto

They work their way up that is why I am planning on starting as a writer and hopefully eventually become a Producer. I would like to start out as a Producer if that were possible. There is only one Imagineer I know of who started as a Producer and his name is in the title of this thread and posts here frequently.

Alright, thanks! Good luck in your journey, I'm sure you would be excellent in both positions! :)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
My guess is that in today's WDI a "executive producer" is the visionary behind the project as it is in television. They don't have to draw anything, just oversee the creative intent. Under them are artists if they are not one themselves. (In TV the directors are less important and hired for each episode.)

_Scar

My guess is that in today's WDI a "executive producer" is the visionary behind the project as it is in television. They don't have to draw anything, just oversee the creative intent. Under them are artists if they are not one themselves. (In TV the directors are less important and hired for each episode.)

Eddie, do you have to know how to draw to be an Imagineer? :shrug:

WDW1974

Sure. I didn't really know Tom Staggs, but my sense is that he was involved in major funding decisions with Jay all along so there won't be much difference there in the bigger picture. I do think that in the future WDI may use outside contractors in a broader fashion, but that may not be bad depending on whom they choose. Would hiring Steve Kirk as a design consultant be a bad thing? A step forward IMHO.

I'd love to see them hire Steve Kirk, among others ... maybe even some that post on MAGICal fan forums!:)

The question in my mind is will they? ... Right now, they appear more likely to show experienced folks the door. If they hire them back on contract, then it's not such a loss. The jury is out on that one.

As to Staggs, a Burbank birdie told me that Iger isn't grooming him to be No. 2 despite what word on the street has said. Apparently, Staggs' people have leaked that to the press and Street analysts.

But I agree 100% with your point about there likely being little difference with the job swap.

WDW1974

In a more urban context, the Eiffel Tower in France is a great touch, and so are the reefed masts of docked ships in DL's NOS. They each make their city more magical as you believe there is more out there. In Vegas the "Paris" hotel puts a huge Eiffel Tower right out front and that IMHO works against the magic.

I don't know about magic, but I can tell you from personal experience that being stuck on top of Vegas' Eiffel Tower in a summer windstorm is very unpleasant!
:xmas:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, do you have to know how to draw to be an Imagineer? :shrug:

If you are passing yourself off as an artist or designer, yes. Today you may see some who build their art in 3D, so the lines are blurry. BTW- Steve Kirk is best known for his great sculpting, not his drawings. His brother Tim does that! Writers and producers are not chosen for their art ability.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Sometimes designers or project coordinators end up as Show Producers. Writers can too. I was fortunate to come in as a designer/producer. That is rare I think. you need to have the design vision and the organizational skill, unless a strong designer is on the team and you are just steering the ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom