WDWMAGIC Space Mountain soft opening report and detailed overview

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...soft-opening-report-and-detailed-overview.htm

Space Mountain began it's first round of soft openings over the weekend, and some of our WDWMAGIC contributors have had a chance to ride and to share their views. We've compiled the observations together for this run-down of the new Space Mountain. The attraction is still being tweaked, so do keep in mind that this report is based on the preview and not the final version.

Exterior
We've been watching this one since the refurbishment began, so no great surprises here. There is new signage featuring the lime green color, new concrete flooring at the entrance, a new planter, and new digital FASTPASS signage. There has been some pressure washing of the exterior, and those parts are looking great, we assume work is ongoing with that. For a look at the exterior, check out the photo gallery that we have been updating during the refurbishment.

Queue
One of the main objectives of this refurbishment was to restore order to the queue, and to properly combine the standby and FASTPASS lines. Space Mountain was one of the very first FASTPASS enabled attractions, yet it was done at a time when the queues were simply not designed to handle FASTPASS. Often, the queue would extend way out into Tomorrowland, with a large portion of the indoor queue not being used due to the way FASTPASS was handled. The new queue contains a lot of changes, both visually, and to manage the guest flow. First up, all of the signs inside have been replaced and updated - this gives everything a fresh look, but without radically changing. The original music remains in the queue, along with the silver balls underneath the staircase. The peppers ghost effect windows on the right hand side remain, but they have been greatly improved. New flooring is found throughout the queue tunnel, along with all new railings and lighting. The most significant change to the queue tunnel is the addition of the video games. Approximately 20 video screens, each with several sets of controls, allow guests to play a version of the classic Asteroids game while in the standby line. Each game is fairly short, around 60 seconds, so shouldn’t cause a problem with the line moving. There are some large screens that support around 5 players, while the smaller screens support 2 players. For a look at the video game, see the video below.

Moving towards the old FASTPASS merge point, the original safety video remains, but is displayed on a new screen. Perhaps the only thing left in the mountain that feels like it’s from the 70s, and something that really needs an update. Looking forward from this point, the control tower now features totally blacked out windows and new signage.

Load Area
This is where the most significant changes have been made, and really brings the attraction up-to-date. Firstly, the load area has been totally enclosed, meaning you can no longer see the track or the trains. Overhead, there is a lot of blue lighting, very similar to that used in the Soarin' queue. Various space images are projected onto the ceiling, giving an impression of looking out into space. The flooring has been coated, new railings installed, and the actual queue line reconfigured. It isn't yet clear how the FASTPASS line will operate (it hasn't been running during the previews), but I think we can be sure it will be a lot more efficient than it was previously. Interestingly, the area behind the queue that formed part of the chicken exit is now part of the main queue which should increase capacity.

As with most other coasters at Disney, automated air gates have now been installed, which should greatly improve the safety of the load area, and also helps to organize people at loading a bit better than before. The air gates have a neat embedded LED lighting effect.

There are new load consoles for the ride operators, and all new graphics along the rear wall. Everything looks very modern and fresh, and ties together the new look given to the queue and load area.

Ride
A large amount of money was spent on upgrading the ride control system, and making structural improvements to the track and support structure. In terms of the actual feel to the ride, we didn't really detect much of a difference. It is perhaps slightly smoother, but the bumps remain, and it still feels as “out-of-control” as it did before. We felt that to be a good thing, but some may be disappointed that it isn't smooth like Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Some small show changes have been made to the tunnels and lift hill area. In the first tunnel, an LED star effect has been added to the end of the tunnel, and a flash is fired for the new onride photo (more on this later). Moving onto the lift hill, the astronauts have been updated, and look great (not animatronics though). All of the old FedEx references have been removed, and the audio has been tightened up. The clanking chain lift remains, and is not silent like Expedition Everest.

While the ride is now darker, thanks to the enclosed load area, it is not as dark as expected from riding the TTA. On the TTA, you can barely see your hand in front of your face, but on the actual ride, a lot of light leaks onto the track from the lift hill lighting effects. It is darker, we estimate perhaps 10 to 20 percent darker than before, but nowhere near as dark as the Disneyland version.

Unload Area
Similar to the load area, the unload has been refurbished to match the updated look. The biggest change here is the screens to view your on ride photo. From the photos we saw, it looks like the position of the camera may be a problem. It's positioned right at the beginning of the ride, and it doesn’t seem to capture very interesting expressions on the guests. This is obviously a subjective thing, and many guest will appreciate the ability to capture an on ride photo. There were also issues with the camera missing the front row of the second car, but this is most likely something that is still being worked on and will be fixed prior to official opening. The photos themselves use the Photopass system, as used at Test Track, and can be added to your Photopass card for purchase later in a store or online.

Post-show Exit
The post show has received a fair amount of work and looks nicely refreshed. All of the scenes have been updated, and some are completely new. The robotic butler gives an interesting nod back to Horizons. The camera effect at the end of the tunnel is still under work, but it's expected it will be an updated version of the green screen effect that we saw previously. For a look at the tunnel, see the video.

Gift shop and arcade
The gift shop has also received a makeover and looks great. Only one piece of Space Mountain specific merchandise was available, it would be great to see more.

Summary
Largely unchanged since it opened in 1975, the update to Space Mountain has brought the ride in line with the modern world, and with the exception of the entry music and the safety video, nothing remains in the attraction that even hints of the 1970s. For those who were expecting major additions, you may well be disappointed. Space Mountain could certainly have received a much larger makeover, along the lines of the very extensive refurbishment that Space Mountain at Disneyland underwent a few years ago. However, for the amount of time spent, and for the scope of the work that was actually give the go-ahead, we believe it's been a great success. Fans of the original ride will be glad of the improvements to the queue and load area, and glad of the fact that the essence and ride experience of the original attraction has been completely preserved.

Space Mountain is currently in soft opening, so will be open for previews whenever possible, but may close at anytime. The official opening date remains November 22 2009.

Complete walk-through and ride-through video

Refurbishment news archive

Skyway

Only minor correction is that the on-ride photos do NOT use Photopass like Test Track (you must purchase the print like most other photos).

The official Disney blog, which originally posted info about Photopass, has since corrected their error.

djkidkaz

Uh oh Steve, it looks like your in trouble! You will now be told that since you called it a success that you approve of Disney mediocrity!

EpcotServo

I disagree that there's no sign of the 70's...The Main Ride is still a shaky undramatic dinosaur of the Space Mountain World from the 70's.
:lol:

The Popcorn Ceilings of the musty hallway they now make you wait in was a mistake, I'm hearing lots of people talk about how now the last 10 minutes of wait are stuck in a stuffy corridor with nothing to look at. (Also the walls of said corridor were already getting beat up.)

Overall, they did the best they can with no money, but this is just like the Fedex rehab.

It'll look better for awhile, but as long as the meat of the attraction is left outdated, the entire ride will be left again out in the rain in just a few years.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Uh oh Steve, it looks like your in trouble! You will now be told that since you called it a success that you approve of Disney mediocrity!

LOL I can take it ;)

You'll notice though, I did add a few important words before that.

"However, for the amount of time spent, and for the scope of the work that was actually give the go-ahead, we believe it's been a great success."

We aren't reviewing a plan that wasn't implemented, but rather a review of what was actually done.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The Popcorn Ceilings of the musty hallway they now make you wait in was a mistake, I'm hearing lots of people talk about how now the last 10 minutes of wait are stuck in a stuffy corridor with nothing to look at. (Also the walls of said corridor were already getting beat up.)

It is too early to judge how the queue is going to work because FP isn't running. We'll have to revisit that one once things are fully up and running.

SMRT-1

That camera is in such a horrible location! I was able to ride Alpha so not sure if it's different on Omega.

They need to calm that flash down. It catches you off guard when the flash goes off. Because of it you end up seeing spots instead of pitch black throughout the ride.

Hope this changes!!!!

EPCOT Explorer

Fantastic write up, Steve...You make SM look good. :lookaroun:lol:

I disagree that there's no sign of the 70's...The Main Ride is still a shaky undramatic dinosaur of the Space Mountain World from the 70's.
:lol:

Overall, they did the best they can with no money, but this is just like the Fedex rehab.

It'll look better for awhile, but as long as the meat of the attraction is left outdated, the entire ride will be left again out in the rain in just a few years.

I know. :(

Some little hopfull part of me hopes that they will keep the exterior clean, and the interior, too...but....Meh. I at least hope for another refurb down the line. Sponsor would be nice.

disneytopdog

Thank you Steve. The video and report were great and just have me stoked to go. As a once a year visitor the ride looks great and I cant wait to ride it on Novmber 29.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Thanks for the summary Steve. I wish I had read this before sifting through the 660+ post of the other thread. :D

My question that I posted there and moved to here: I might have misunderstood, but was it stated that the Load or Unload was moved back (adding more track for a brake zone) or was this referring to the switchbacks? I might have misunderstood that. I would supply the reference, but Im not going through 45 pages to find it.

EDIT: From the video, it certainly doesnt look like an overwhelming project of moving the Load back took place.... so I presume they were referring to the switchbacks got moved?

Thanks

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Thank you for putting this report together Steve! It sure beats sifting through hundreds of posts of criticism. I feel that what we got out of this refurb was about what I had expected.

I am very perplexed by how the in-queue game thing works though. In the video it seems like everyone played a few seconds of it but then walked along as soon as the line started moving. I don't think this was how the game was designed to be played. It seems pretty pointless to me. :shrug:

Also, in the video it looks to me like they removed the turnstile just before the line splits to Alpha or Omega. Can anyone confirm this? If they upgraded to the laser ones I will be so happy. I hate turnstiles!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you for putting this report together Steve! It sure beats sifting through hundreds of posts of criticism. I feel that what we got out of this refurb was about what I had expected.

I am very perplexed by how the in-queue game thing works though. In the video it seems like everyone played a few seconds of it but then walked along as soon as the line started moving. I don't think this was how the game was designed to be played. It seems pretty pointless to me. :shrug:

Also, in the video it looks to me like they removed the turnstile just before the line splits to Alpha or Omega. Can anyone confirm this? If they upgraded to the laser ones I will be so happy. I hate turnstiles!

The game system is meant to be played by the standby line. During the previews, there wasn't a FP line in operation, so the standby line was moving much quicker than it normally would. This is why you are seeing it rush through.

The turnstyle is gone. It isnt clear yet how the queue is going to oeprate.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the summary Steve. I wish I had read this before sifting through the 660+ post of the other thread. :D

My question that I posted there and moved to here: I might have misunderstood, but was it stated that the Load or Unload was moved back (adding more track for a brake zone) or was this referring to the switchbacks? I might have misunderstood that. I would supply the reference, but Im not going through 45 pages to find it.

EDIT: From the video, it certainly doesnt look like an overwhelming project of moving the Load back took place.... so I presume they were referring to the switchbacks got moved?

Thanks

Yep I'm not aware of any moving of track. I'll see what I can find out.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The game system is meant to be played by the standby line. During the previews, there wasn't a FP line in operation, so the standby line was moving much quicker than it normally would. This is why you are seeing it rush through.

The turnstyle is gone. It isnt clear yet how the queue is going to oeprate.

Oh I forgot about the lack of an FP line during the preview. I guess when the standby line grinds to a halt like it normally does people will get to play the whole game. :shrug:

Yay for no more turnstyle too. :lol:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yep I'm not aware of any moving of track. I'll see what I can find out.
Thanks Steve. Let me see if I can dig up the post on the mega thread (that has turned into a war :lol:).

EDIT: found the reference: It is a post from Skyway: "I'm probably wrong, but it seemed like the two load zones were pushed back farther from the "launch area" than before, creating an "on deck" area for a whole rocket before it rounds the corner. I may not be remembering the old version correctly."

The reply from timetopretend: "This is correct, although I have not seen the station in person. From my information before the refurb/soft opening there were some enhancements to the load configuration. These enhancements allowed for a dedicated seat check stop/console and then the "shuttle" proceeds to a hold before the launch position, which brings SM up to the seat check process occurring at other rides. This change theoretically could also increase numbers in the ride efficiency category(reading between the lines may be required).

Someone in a previous post mentioned noticeable cameras after the reentry tunnel on the winding track before unload. This track area is home to a few brake runs that add "blocks" to the ride which increases the number of "shuttles" that can be on the track at the same time. During the refurb motors were added to these brake runs to allow an automatic restart of the ride should it cascade (back up) from the unload station where it was completely manual before and caused lengthy downtimes. As a safety concern, these cameras are probably used to make sure everyone is still in their seats before starting the "shuttle" on its journey again."

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=3843645&postcount=531

OK. Sorry Steve. I figured it out. What they are saying is that the load area moved back on the track to allow another stop for a loaded train (brake station). I completely read that wrong and couldn't find it this afternoon. :eek: Sorry for the fire drill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom