Inside WDW new space mountain 11/10/09

_Scar

I just got back from the MK. The mountain was not being washed from the park side, and it still looks awful. Around 4, the lights were on inside the mountain and they were testing a few trains. I'll go ahead and confirm that the rockets are a darker gray and the neon green stripe is gone.

A few hours later the lights were out. It's very dark in there now. You can't see the track at all. Seeing as how the trains don't glow either, the TTA's view is pretty pointless now.

For a moment I thought there might be a soft opening because there were quite a few managers and CMs out front, but no such luck. They're telling everyone Nov 22.

Aww crap...

I thought they took care of the power washing...

:hurl::hurl::hurl:

the-reason14

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!??!???!?!?!?

You DO realize that the section I bolded is an exact description of WDW's SM, right??? :rolleyes: I actually thought you were talking about WDW's, and didn't understand you even meant DL's!

DL's track layout, I will agree, isn't that much fun. But... EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT IS. The effects, on board audio, tunnels... All more than make up for it.

You're a perfect example of why WDW gets away with what they get away with. In Paris, Tokyo, or Anaheim it wouldn't fly.

Umm, have you even ever been on the one in DL? The coaster in DL is a complete snooze fest. WDW's is way more thrilling and can actually be called a roller coaster. No, its not the most thrilling coaster ever, but its better than the boring snooze fest coaster that is DL's space mt. IMO, screw all the audio and lights, I rather have a more thrilling coaster and thats what WDW's space is and what a coaster should be. You spend most of the ride time at DL going up, :snore::snore: next. And Id take WDW over DL and all the other disney properties anyday, if you think WDW is getting stale and isnt as well maintaned as the other disney resorts, then maybe you should fly over there and stop wasting money on WDW. :cool:

Main Street USA

For those of you who believe you know more than everyone else, please contact Disney and apply to become an Imagineer and stop telling everyone on here how smart you are.

Just because someone has been to WDW and every other Disney Park a million times doesn't make you any more an expert @ Disney than me going to 50-60 Yankees games every year qualifies me to be the Yankees manager.

Let's please stay on topic and try to show some perspective.
You couldn't be more right, but I'm afraid their perspective is long gone.

Main Street USA

The AA dog does look like the 1975 original, minus its rear shell. I can`t see them building a new AA for a rehash of the 1985 postshow.

New:
DSC_8811.JPG

1994:
It's missing ALL of it's shell.

Jasonflz

Umm, have you even ever been on the one in DL? The coaster in DL is a complete snooze fest. WDW's is way more thrilling and can actually be called a roller coaster. No, its not the most thrilling coaster ever, but its better than the boring snooze fest coaster that is DL's space mt. IMO, screw all the audio and lights, I rather have a more thrilling coaster and thats what WDW's space is and what a coaster should be. You spend most of the ride time at DL going up, :snore::snore: next. And Id take WDW over DL and all the other disney properties anyday, if you think WDW is getting stale and isnt as well maintaned as the other disney resorts, then maybe you should fly over there and stop wasting money on WDW. :cool:

Agreed. I haven't been on DL's but judging by videos and wom I don't want it.

the-reason14

So wait... You're throwing rocks from your glass house then?

You're attacking people for saying the refurb isn't great, because they haven't been on it.... When you're saying it IS great, and you haven't been on it either.

:rolleyes:

Yes, turn your brain back on for a second. Im saying its great because the people here were claiming that it was gonna look the same in the que and loading area, and claiming that much wasnt gonna get done. And now, pics have been released that shows thats not the case. So thats a step up in what the whiners who said "space needs a refurb and when it finally goes down for one its not good enough" were saying. As far as people saying its the same bumpiness, well how would they know that having not ridden it?? There's no way to experience it yet, but I can see the pics and see what they've done, so there's the difference. And personally, I wanted the same layout. So just knowing its the same ride with new tracks makes me happy. And plus the que looks really nice, so its all good over here. :cool:

Buried20KLeague

You obviously don't read a WORD I post... For like, the past YEAR. But hey, no worries. Feel free to continue to judge and make false assumptions! :lol:

And you obviously didn't read what I said about DL's coaster layout. I AGREED with you. It's not very exciting. I already said that. I said that all the effects, audio, and lighting more than makes up for it. :wave:

Main Street USA

After reading Marni's post... now you know why some people feel a bit jipped.

Marni, can you confirm overlays? I'm guessing our mountain still will be Ghost-less, but it's worth asking.
Um, most of us already knew that stuff was planned long ago. It was posted right here on the good ol' internet. Anyone who could read and spent more than a few minutes searching could've found it.

Some of us simply aren't as upset as others. Just because this is the case doesn't make anyone else wrong for feeling differently than you.

surfsupdon

Just a random note on the retriever dog post show:

We got our first puppy in 94 and we kept one from her litter in 98. Whenever on vacation, the Space Mtn dog is our "vacation pet." We love him.

Here's hoping he made the refurbishment!!

sponono88

forget about updated effects, new track and rockets, audio, and an enhanced exterior. The show doesn't matter - it's all about the thrilling coaster, right? :brick: If you want thrilling coasters then maybe you should go to Six Flags. I expect more from Disney.

Buried20KLeague

Yes, turn your brain back on for a second. Im saying its great because the people here were claiming that it was gonna look the same in the que and loading area, and claiming that much wasnt gonna get done. And now, pics have been released that shows thats not the case. So thats a step up in what the whiners who said "space needs a refurb and when it finally goes down for one its not good enough" were saying. As far as people saying its the same bumpiness, well how would they know that having not ridden it?? There's no way to experience it yet, but I can see the pics and see what they've done, so there's the difference. And personally, I wanted the same layout. So just knowing its the same ride with new tracks makes me happy. And plus the que looks really nice, so its all good over here. :cool:

The insiders have said all along that there was going to be some que work, and a ceiling over the load area. I've never heard anything different. :shrug:

They've also said that there was minor track replacement in the ride to fix a couple trouble spots.

The frustration people have about this isn't what DID get done... It's what DIDN'T. Again, if you read what I've said, I think what they've done looks good... And if there's a new re-entry and launch tunnel, I'll personally give this refurb a passing grade in my book. But you seem to pass right over those statements I make and instead focus on the negative.

the-reason14

Why in the world would WDW gut the inside of a still popular E ticket ride?? It doesn't make any sense. If you have an attraction that still has waits of 45 min or more on most days why would you change it. The General Public is perfectly happy with it.

Thank you, and so so true. Gutting and rebuilding Space mt. to me would be like them gutting and rebuilding Pirates or Haunted Mansion. Why not gut Pirates and make it longer, include two drops because DL has it, and DLP has it. No, why? Because its still popular regardless. There's no need.

Think about it this way, WDW with its four parks has all the space that the other disney properties do not. They could easily build another coaster in another park or even MK that has all the trimmings of a DLP space mt.(Which we kinda do, its called rockin roller coaster) The other disney properties dont have this space whereas WDW does. So they can come up with countless other coaster that are "worthy" to the people who 'dont see positive in anything' eye's. But if Space mt. in WDW is really so bad compared to the others, than go ride the others. Like the others and let the people who like the MK's like it, and or just get over it.

WDW1974

Yes, I know about those amazing concepts, and I'm disappointed that they we're not getting a full-scale revamp. I want to be very clear about that.

This a series of small enhancements that, frankly, make a good ride better. That's something I can be happy about. I think "getting psyched" is the wrong way to describe how most of us feel. That's certainly not how I feel, and I don't think anyone should be overly "psyched" as if this were a new ride or something. But I am pleased with the improvements that have been done. I guess I just don't understand how being pleased with this project makes you a "defender of mediocrity". :shrug:

The fact there are almost 30 pages of posts on this (and how many other threads have there been?) is what I mean when I say fanbois are 'psyched' ... and I think over absolutely very, very little.

It's like when I see threads about painting or facade work. I don't think that's worthy of even attention.

It's Disney. They conditioned me from childhood to expect basics like maintainance, so I don't get all hot and bothered when they actually do it.

I post on another site, regularly, one with more adults ... and you won't find threads like this ... or not of this length. People realize there's nothing to talk about and move on to meatier topics. And that's not a bash here, I think we have some very exuberant youngsters who will post endlessly on just about anything (like when is Spidey coming to the MK?:ROFLOL:)

I'll tell you what bothers me about this project. TDO resisted the full-fledged refurb because it would have meant that Space Mountain would have been closed through the Christmas busy season. I hate that they continually trot that out as an excuse. You can't please everyone!

That is a complete BS excuse, but it IS used at the highest levels of TDO. Funny how show can take a back seat to this absurd notion of making everyone happy (and they never are ... I am not happy that Space Mountain has been a joke since the early-mid 1990s)

What plays into that mindset, though, is when fans spout it on sites like this. Disney sits back and sees someone talking of how closing attraction X will ruin someone's magical $8,000 WDW vacation and the MBAs bring out Power Points and anyone who cares about freshness and quality gets screwed.

MK has fallen into a vicious cycle by being run the way it has and reducing capacity as it has.

When I was at DL in Sept. both Space and Mansion were down (and despite being favorites) my trip wasn't ruined because they have more than enough to cover. MK doesn't anymore.

And one new attraction and rethemed meet and greets are a start, but they aren't nearly enough to bring the park up to the standards of the other MKs.

Main Street USA

Are some forgetting that we apparently got all of the wheels and other hardware (not sure what they're called) on the rockets replaced, or did this not happen? There were a couple coaster experts/enthusiasts that said this can be a MAJOR factor in the bumpiness and jerkiness of WDW's Space Mountain.

Can we at least wait until it opens to bash this refurb? Please?! This is my only real problem with anything anyone is posting. It's ok to have opinions about what MIGHT be, but none of us know what the inside looks like aside from a few staged WDI pics, and none of us have ridden it, either.

IMHO, I think Space was budgeted to get new track, trains, the whole works, then I think lasseter came through saw how bad fantasyland was and threw all the money over there.

Kuhio

Looking back through this thread, I really haven't seen the scores of posters fawning over the refurb that some have suggested are there. There might be one or two people who've gushed, but by and large the positive posts tend to boil down to just two distinct points: (1) appreciation for the limited aspect of the refurb (enclosed queue and interactive elements) that has been shown so far; and (2) the opinion that WDW's SM -- with or without a refurb -- is superior to or more enjoyable than the DL-style SMs. Having and expressing either or both of these views isn't in any way inconsistent with concurrently holding the opinion that Disney could have done much more with the refurb (and disappointment that they didn't), or the opinion that WDW is lacking in so many ways when compared to any number of other Disney parks.

And having a generally positive opinion of what we know of the refurb so far also does not mean that the poster (1) has never ridden another SM; (2) has never experienced any Disney park outside of WDW; (3) will be 100% satisifed with the refurb as a whole once it's fully revealed; and/or (4) is satisfied with mediocrity generally, or is an apologist for Disney with blinders on.

Sometimes people just have different opinions. Just because I'm sorely disappointed that we won't have the Lights of Winter this year doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who is glad for the removal, and has always thought that the lights are an eyesore that obscures a panoramic view. I might not agree with that opinion, but that doesn't mean that the person who holds the opinion is satisfied with mediocrity or is happy that WDW parks are routinely neglected and given second-class treatment compared to other Disney parks -- it might just mean that he or she prefers something else.

There are some things that we didn't get that would have enhanced my enjoyment -- such as silent lift hills. There are some things that would not have made that much of a difference -- such as "smoother" track. (It would make the ride marginally better, I suppose, but I've never thought it was that bumpy anyway, and I've ridden it since the '70s.) And there are some things that I'm glad we didn't get, because it would detract from the experience -- such as onboard audio. But my opinion, taken as a whole, relates solely to a very specific focus: Space Mountain. It has nothing to do with, and should not be taken as a proxy for my opinion on, the Lights of Winter, or the Adventurers Club, or SGE, or peeling paint, or any number of other issues.

In the end, all that matters to me is that I really enjoy WDW's SM, and I can't wait to ride it again very soon.

Main Street USA

Looking back through this thread, I really haven't seen the scores of posters fawning over the refurb that some have suggested are there. There might be one or two people who've gushed, but by and large the positive posts tend to boil down to just two distinct points: (1) appreciation for the limited aspect of the refurb (enclosed queue and interactive elements) that has been shown so far; and (2) the opinion that WDW's SM -- with or without a refurb -- is superior to or more enjoyable than the DL-style SMs. Having and expressing either or both of these views isn't in any way inconsistent with concurrently holding the opinion that Disney could have done much more with the refurb (and disappointment that they didn't), or the opinion that WDW is lacking in so many ways when compared to any number of other Disney parks.

And having a generally positive opinion of what we know of the refurb so far also does not mean that the poster (1) has never ridden another SM; (2) has never experienced any Disney park outside of WDW; (3) will be 100% satisifed with the refurb as a whole once it's fully revealed; and/or (4) is satisfied with mediocrity generally, or is an apologist for Disney with blinders on.

Sometimes people just have different opinions. Just because I'm sorely disappointed that we won't have the Lights of Winter this year doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who is glad for the removal, and has always thought that the lights are an eyesore that obscures a panoramic view. I might not agree with that opinion, but that doesn't mean that the person who holds the opinion is satisfied with mediocrity or is happy that WDW parks are routinely neglected and given second-class treatment compared to other Disney parks -- it might just mean that he or she prefers something else.

There are some things that we didn't get that would have enhanced my enjoyment -- such as silent lift hills. There are some things that would not have made that much of a difference -- such as "smoother" track. (It would make the ride marginally better, I suppose, but I've never thought it was that bumpy anyway, and I've ridden it since the '70s.) And there are some things that I'm glad we didn't get, because it would detract from the experience -- such as onboard audio. But my opinion, taken as a whole, relates solely to a very specific focus: Space Mountain. It has nothing to do with, and should not be taken as a proxy for my opinion on, the Lights of Winter, or the Adventurers Club, or SGE, or peeling paint, or any number of other issues.

In the end, all that matters to me is that I really enjoy WDW's SM, and I can't wait to ride it again very soon.

Wow, spot on. What a nicely written, logical post. They're rare around here, so I wanted to quote you. ;)

Exprcoofto

I post on another site, regularly, one with more adults ... and you won't find threads like this ... or not of this length. People realize there's nothing to talk about and move on to meatier topics.

Like what kind of meatier topics? This is a discussion board for WDW with a lot of members so I expect threads like this to be long, don't you? :shrug:

mickey2008.1

i skipped 15 pages of negative bs, and its still the same later. well i am one of the few who thinks its good so far, and will make judgement after i ride it in december. And i like the posts of those who are on the inside, whern all they really are are just fantasy fanboy imagineers. Keep up the fantasyland you live in. As for the rest, WDW forever!!

Main Street USA

i skipped 15 pages of negative bs, and its still the same later. well i am one of the few who thinks its good so far, and will make judgement after i ride it in december. And i like the posts of those who are on the inside, whern all they really are are just fantasy fanboy imagineers. Keep up the fantasyland you live in. As for the rest, WDW forever!!
Ha! Beautiful post!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom