Disney Dining Experience Changes

Moustronaut

Original Poster
Just got this in my email this morning. Sorry if it's old news. But they've got new places to get your permanent cards instead of waiting for them by mail. And DDE members are tipping 18% automatically.

Fromt DDE Membership:

Greetings from the Disney Dining Experience Team!

As 2008 quickly approaches, you will begin to see some exciting new developments for the Disney Dining Experience Membership Program. You asked and we listened! Effective November 11, 2007, you will no longer have to wait 3 – 6 weeks to receive your permanent membership card(s).

Guest Relations locations at Epcot®, MAGIC KINGDOM® Park, DISNEY’S ANIMAL KINGDOM® Theme Park, Disney-MGM Studios, DOWNTOWN DISNEY® West Side, and DOWNTOWN DISNEY® Marketplace will now be able to print permanent Disney Dining Experience membership cards for immediate use. This service is designed for existing and new members. Cards produced at the Guest Relations locations will be printed on paper stock similar to the annual pass tickets.

The Disney Dining Experience office will still be available to take applications for current and new members, via the phone, fax or mail for those who do not want to take advantage of the in-park service. Membership cards ordered through the Disney Dining Experience office will be received within 2 - 3 weeks of purchase.

All Guests who have ordered their Disney Dining Experience membership cards prior to November 11, 2007 date will have to pickup their temporary cards at the main entrance Epcot® Guest Relations. Your permanent card will be sent through the mail and arrive in 3-4 weeks from the date of purchase.

We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. Thank you for your continued support.

Cheers!

The Disney Dining Experience Team

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does that 18% apply to just DDE transactions? It doesnt really make it clear if it's on ALL food and beverage, or just those done via DDE.

GoofyMom2

I just got that same Email.

I was also wondering about the automatic 18% tip.....

Is that how they are going to make sure servers get their tip, especially since it is no longer included on the DDP?

If so, really don't like that change, Disney. Yes, we want servers to get their tips, but automatic is a slippery slope.......

Anyone have clarification?

TCarbone

Another unanswered question from that email... is the 18% on the pre-discount or post-discount amount?

I don't like forced gratuities like this. If service is excellent, I tip 20% in the pre-discount amount. If bad, 15% or less on the pre-discount amount. No more flexability... boo!

Also, if this is on the post-discount amount, it is a bad deal for the servers. They shouldn't be penalized because someone is getting a discount.

JimboJones123

Automatic tip on that $300 bottle of wine for a party of two just became much more expensive.

Funny how they take away the Auto-tip when they have to pay it, but add it when the guests have to pay.

durangojim

I'm wondering about the gratuity also. From the verbage it sounds as if this applies to all food and beverage locations regardless of DDE. What's worse is that it seems this will apply to counter service as well. If that's the case that's very wrong:mad:

KnK

How disappointing. We are normally 20% tippers, but on some occasions we have tipped less depending on service. We have also been know to tip higher becasue of service as well.

This is frustraing when you have bad service, now you have no way to express it.

DisneyMusician2

Obviously the DDP non-tippers out there are hurting people...or maybe this is a commentary on service provided.

But the automatic 18% is asking a lot. Especially with the cost of food anyway at some of these locations.

ESPECIALLY on the pre-discounted price? Why become a member of DDE with this new pricing? It would seem to take away much of the savings.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
How disappointing. We are normally 20% tippers, but on some occasions we have tipped list depending on service. We have also been know to tip higher becasue of service as well.

This is frustraing when you have bad service, now you have no way to express it.

I guess what will happen now is that when there is bad service there will be a confrontation between guest and the server/management. Could lead to some rather unsavory scenes in the restaurants now that we wont be able to rate bad service with less/no tip.

wannabeBelle

Interresting. Ill see if I can find out anytrhing as well. It doesnt seem to make any sense though considering it was just pulled from the MYW Dining plan??? Belle

Shere_Khan

Ok - I am not sure if I am understanding this.

Does that mean if you are not on any dining plan, and you simply go to a sit down restaurant and are paying for it out of pocket on the day you are dining, they are going to add the tip to your bill? Or is it only people on DDP or DDE?

mouselvrmom

Does that mean if you are not on any dining plan, and you simply go to a sit down restaurant and are paying for it out of pocket on the day you are dining, they are going to add the tip to your bill? Or is it only people on DDP or DDE?

It sounds like it is for everyone, even if you are without the ddp or dde. Which means that the servers will no longer have to work hard to receive a good tip. Sad.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

It is for all dining (at this point we think table service), regardless of whether you are paying regular cash, DDE or DDP.

Shere_Khan

Thanks for helping me out the both of you. :)

Well that is good to know then. I might not have realized it and tipped another 15-20% on top of it. Hopefully it is clearly stated on your bill.
And that makes no sense at all. I can see if you are on the free plan or the discounted plan the servers might get stiffed by some people.
But that just takes the point out of tipping completely. Ridiculous!

wannabeBelle

I am thinking this is JUST for DDE members. I cant imagine that being enforced otherwise. I will give a call as well just to be sure. Belle

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom