Next generation FASTPASS system to begin guest testing this week

fosse76

FP has always essentially been a reservation system as to when you can go on a ride. Except you didn't really get to pick your return window. FP+ essentially allows you to pick this time. I generally don't have a problem with that if I am already in the park. The issue I have is this: what happens when you HAVE to get a Space Mountain FP+ months in advance or you have no choice but to do standby?? Look at TSMM. You absolutely will need to know exactly when and what time you want to ride, or you'll be out of luck. It's no different with dining. How many people here booked Le Cellier the SECOND they were eligible, because they knew it would be completely booked even if the waited one more day.

the-reason14

Right now it will not be as MK is the only park where testing is taking place.

So what happens if you want 2 or 3 fastpasses for space mt. and maybe 1 for peter pan or something? Is it still an option, or do you have to pick from rides that you really could careless about, but because they're part of a 'package' you have to pick at least one? And I'm guessing now instead of getting to the park as soon as it opens and enjoying the benefit of quicker lines since the earliest fastpasses aren't valid till a certain time will pretty much be out the window, as I'm sure you can expect people to already be queing with their fastpass+ near park open.

menamechris

So what happens if you want 2 or 3 fastpasses for space mt. and maybe 1 for peter pan or something? Is it still an option, or do you have to pick from rides that you really could careless about, but because they're part of a 'package' you have to pick at least one? And I'm guessing now instead of getting to the park as soon as it opens and enjoying the benefit of quicker lines since the earliest fastpasses aren't valid till a certain time will pretty much be out the window, as I'm sure you can expect people to already be queing with their fastpass+ near park open.

I actually think this could be a motive for the new system. If Disney is giving you an option of 3 to 5 rides to get Fastpasses for (and we have already heard they are lumped into certain groupings to choose from), this seems slightly reminiscent to the old A-E ticket books to a degree. This could end up boosting attendance to some less popular rides or attractions simply because people will feel like they should use the free/advance Fastpass. So if you can get a FP for The Tiki Room OR the Country Bears, people may choose to actually go see it if they have an appointment - as opposed to skipping over it.... I could see this as a possible long-term goal.

Ohboy!

I actually think this could be a motive for the new system. If Disney is giving you an option of 3 to 5 rides to get Fastpasses for (and we have already heard they are lumped into certain groupings to choose from), this seems slightly reminiscent to the old A-E ticket books to a degree. This could end up boosting attendance to some less popular rides or attractions simply because people will feel like they should use the free/advance Fastpass. So if you can get a FP for The Tiki Room OR the Country Bears, people may choose to actually go see it if they have an appointment - as opposed to skipping over it.... I could see this as a possible long-term goal.

I think thats exactly what they're doing...
From their point of view, they have it pay to run the attractions anyway, might as well boost the number of riders/audience members and get more bang for their buck.
From the newbie's point of view, they get to see/do a high enough number of attractions to keep them happy (likely enough to want to return).
Park veterans like us should be grateful for the increased dispersal of crowds. I want other guests to do attractions they otherwise wouldn't...it helps the lines overall.
It could be a win-win-win.

If Disney forced me to plan out my day, I'll do it. I'll do it grudgingly because touring the park on a set schedule with babies, toddlers and preschoolers isn't a walk in the park, but I guess I'll have to roll with the punches.

Planning isn't the problem I have with this new system. The idea of having all the major rides set up for the morning and early afternoon sounds fine to me, but that is the problem. It sounds great to me, to you, to just about anyone. Great, I'll roll in around 10:30, and then just get right on Soarin' and TSMM! I'll finish up by two and be back at the resort for a swim- awesome right?

The problem is not everyone can ride Soarin' or TSMM at 10 or 11 am, and so on down the line. If there are going to be advanced reservations (which is probably the only way it will work. It would be more fair, but a logistical nightmare to schedule Fastpass+ when you arrive at the park), you better be up and ready, have your clock synchronized with the naval observatory, and hope that your fingers are faster than the other thousands of guests you are competing with for those plum FP times.

I DO NOT want to play that game!

It sucks enough trying to get ADRs, and DVC reservations, I do not want to be fighting tooth and nail for ride times.

Tom

Beta Return
Well, we successfully completed our trial of FP+ yesterday. Fairly underwhelming, obviously.

We used it at Buzz at 9:10am. They ran our cards through the swipe on the tablet, it popped up with our name, celebration (Anniversary) and said OK in a big green screen. The end.

Pan was next at 10-something. Apparently Pan had been down for some time, because the FP queue was out onto the sidewalk, while there was literally nobody in Standby. They used the little "orb on a pole" gizmo to scan our cards, but still had a CM with a tablet to give us an un-magical "Happy Anniversary Tom". The wait was about 15 minutes because everyone who had been denied access all morning was in the FP line.

At 12:30 was Jungle Cruise. Held it to the orb, it flashed green, and we were ushered in. I don't think they even had the tablet going at this one....can't remember.

Our last one was to be at Splash at 2:30, but we were hot and tired, so we left the park and skipped that one.

As you all know, with this trial, you don't get to pick your times. You just get to approve a randomly generated list of times, or ask for another set to be generated. And it's only being tested in the MK right now. If the final system simply generates a random set of FP times, it's a completely useless system, but it won't be, so that's a moot point.

The only way I see this as being beneficial to someone like me is to let me log on sometime before my trip, pick from a list of rides and then a list of times.....just like online ADRs. Then, the system just needs to take 1 regular FP out of circulation for that time, so that the total number of FP's floating around are the same as they are now.

If there's one perk....it's just that you can have 4 (or however many they decide) FPs at one time. If there's a second perk, it's that you can get them added to your KttW card (or pick up a FP+ card when you arrive) in advance, saving you the treks across the park.

I guess we'll see where they go with this. Right now, pretty underwhelming. I'm anxious to see if us lab rats will get an email survey.

the-reason14

I think thats exactly what they're doing...
From their point of view, they have it pay to run the attractions anyway, might as well boost the number of riders/audience members and get more bang for their buck.
From the newbie's point of view, they get to see/do a high enough number of attractions to keep them happy (likely enough to want to return).
Park veterans like us should be grateful for the increased dispersal of crowds. I want other guests to do attractions they otherwise wouldn't...it helps the lines overall.
It could be a win-win-win.

Yes, this makes sense from their pov and will trick newbies into thinking there really doing something. But for a vet like me, if I don't ride space mt. or splash several times like I used to before this and the policy change then I'm not satisfied. I'm not gonna want to have to ride pooh or a lessor ride because it's apart of a package, I'm gonna wanna spread out fastpasses throughout the day for space mt. with maybe one for Pan and two for splash. If the benefit or perk is being able to have the fastpasses already available, then I'd like that. But I want to be able to pick the rides and not be "forced" to do a ride that I'm not interested in. I also think this will make rides like HM, and Pirates lenghty throughout the entire day, so probably no more walkons at night.

pumpkin7

i just don't see how this new system adds to anyones day or improves anything.
there is nothing wrong going up to an attraction, seeing that it has a lengthy wait, and getting fast pass tickets for later on in the day. the only reason i can think that they want to do it like this is so fast pass tickets don't run out... but then as a park attendee, you just have to get there early enough to get a ticket!
i really hope they don't go ahead with this. i just don't see how people will want to plan their day like this.

G00fyDad

i just don't see how people will want to plan their day like this.

And there are those, like me, that cannot see why you would not. I will not do it if it tries to spread out my FP throughout the day, as is being reported with the testing. But if I can knock all of my major rides out in the AM then relax for the rest of the day then, great!

i really hope they don't go ahead with this.

And it will affect you how? :shrug: You already do not plan on using it. So where's the negative for you? :confused:

pumpkin7

And it will affect you how? :shrug: You already do not plan on using it. So where's the negative for you? :confused:

it will be a negative if they take away the choice as to whether you can get to pick up your fast passes throughout the day as usual. i can't see them running both as they won't have enough to give out to the people who just want to come and go as they please.
so you know, if they do that, then it will affect me and lots of others too.

G00fyDad

it will be a negative if they take away the choice as to whether you can get to pick up your fast passes throughout the day as usual. i can't see them running both as they won't have enough to give out to the people who just want to come and go as they please.
so you know, if they do that, then it will affect me and lots of others too.

Where on Earth did you hear that they were getting rid of the current FP system? They aren't getting rid of anything. That should be obvious in that this new system is called Fast Pass Plus. If they were replacing the current system then it would just be called Fast Pass like usual. They aren't getting rid of the FP system that they have right now. Doing so would be stupid and they know that.

The FP+ spots are likely going to be taken from the current FP load. Still....not affecting you. :)

menamechris

Where on Earth did you hear that they were getting rid of the current FP system? They aren't getting rid of anything. That should be obvious in that this new system is called Fast Pass Plus. If they were replacing the current system then it would just be called Fast Pass like usual. They aren't getting rid of the FP system that they have right now. Doing so would be stupid and they know that.

The FP+ spots are likely going to be taken from the current FP load. Still....not affecting you. :)

Since Disney isn't communicating with their public about plans for this system - I don't think it is a terribly far-fetched idea to see how the current Fastpass program could be eventually phased out - or at least to a point that the benefit of using is it no long there...

G00fyDad

Since Disney isn't communicating with their public about plans for this system - I don't think it is a terribly far-fetched idea to see how the current Fastpass program could be eventually phased out - or at least to a point that the benefit of using is it no long there...

There's no point in communicating much if they do not intend on removing the current system. ;)

DisneyCane

Does anybody know if there are plans to allow fastpass+ to be used by annual passholders? I would think that a very large percentage of annual passholders are local and therefore have no need to stay in a Disney Resort.

G00fyDad

Does anybody know if there are plans to allow fastpass+ to be used by annual passholders? I would think that a very large percentage of annual passholders are local and therefore have no need to stay in a Disney Resort.

I have heard, from this forum, that it is only going to be for resort guests.

menamechris

Unlike Disneyland, WDW could care less about their passholders. I could very easily see us being excluded from the program. We are told continuously that WDW is not interesting in making us happy, but making the tourists and casual visitors happy....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom