Art of Animation Update

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I had the opportunity to take a hardhat tour of the Art of Animation Resort today. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised.

I'll offer some highlights from the tour, which was conducted by Dierdra, a member of WDI's construction department.

Starting at the main building, guests will see the similarities to Pop, but will also notice the major differences. Not only is it amazingly colorful (with giant murals which start as BW sketches and advance to color cels as you move across the lobby, which has floors covered in a mosaic of tile), but they've built in a very large "Kids Room" (so they can watch movies and unwind while mom or dad checks in), and a new "pod" style check-in desk. Instead of one long, impersonal counter, they have islands with 2 stations each. That way the cast members can come around and interact with guests if necessary.

There will be a giant arcade, as well as the usual amenities like public restrooms, pay phones, and the Ink & Paint Gift Shop.

The food court (Landscape of Flavors) is quite expansive, and very open. They're going to offer new an innovative food stations with several made-to-order meals, including salads. There are LCD menu boards hanging all around, and there's plenty of room to eat.

Heading out the back doors, you encounter the feature pool - themed to Nemo - which is the largest non-water park pool on property, in surface area. It has the only zero-entry of any value resort, and offers many other premium features. They're deciding what sort of validation system they'll need to use to prevent pool hopping to this pool (the first value that will have this problem).

As you look around, all you see are gigantic colorful buildings with sketches and painted animation artwork, rockwork in the Lion King area, a huge Crush outside the Nemo building, and many other larger than life decorations. Very similar to the All Stars and Pop, only higher quality.

Now, to the rooms. We visited a nearly complete room in the Nemo building, which will be the first to open. All that's left is to hang a few televisions (which were sitting in boxes) and touch up some paint. The rooms are more impressive in person than in the renderings we've seen.

The master bedroom has its own dresser and TV. It also has a master bathroom with a tiled shower with glass doors. The living room has another built-in dresser and another TV. The kitchenette is in there, as well as a large sleeper sofa and two ottomans. The most amazing feature is the Kitchen Table Murphy Bed. With one finger, she pulled on the wall and out folded a bed, while simultaneously (safely) collapsing the kitchen table. The bed revealed Nemo, painted on the wall, with a couple LED reading lights.

The master bedroom has a queen, while the sofa and murphy are doubles.

Among features that are NOT typical of value resorts are central air (a thermostat on the wall and no clunky unit under the window), interior corridors (in the 3 suite areas...the Mermaid buildings will have the usual exterior walkways), and large windows that look out onto the pool (or other views).

Some points of interest:

* There is a subtle hint to the coming of NextGen in the door locks. They use RFID proximity sensors, so you don't actually put your KttW card in the door, you just wave it near the door. Obviously, this is their first opportunity to build the new technology into a resort from scratch. I'm sure we'll start seeing them replacing door handles all over property.

* When asked what will become of the "Generation Gap" bridge, she said, "The official response from WDI right now is simply 'we don't know'." She went on to explain that the plan is to re-open it, but they have no idea what to call it yet. The current name obviously has to go. They're also wondering if opening it really is a good idea, since it will only promote Pop guests to meander toward the AoA amenities.

* While the target completion date for the entire project is "end of year", she said - off the record - that they're a bit ahead of schedule, and that Mermaid (the last phase to open), might open earlier than expected.

The price to stay here is obviously higher than anything else in this category, but after having seen the resort in person, the higher rates are justified. The place has features from Moderate and Deluxe Resorts - and can't even be compared to the rest of the Values (except for Mermaid, but even then, those guests will have access to the rest of the resort's amenities).

Also, let me emphasize that this is not second hand information, nor did it come from a bus driver. I toured the resort in person, and our guide was a WDI rep who is directly overseeing the project. There were other WDW personnel involved as well - all at higher pay grades than "just a CM".

I can now pass judgement on the resort, and I give it two thumbs up.

No, I do not have any photos because, as expected, that was forbidden.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks for sharing. What led to this opportunity?

The key locks sound like the same they have on the cruise ships. Probably just the next evolution to allow future things. Their existence may have been coincidence or evolution. DCL uses them but doesn't use the card for NFC anywhere else but the doors.

Besides being big, what's the draw for the main pool? The problem with all of the pools on property except for deluxes is they seem to have little to offer, and since they have almost no water features, the fact the water cooks in the sun makes the pools way too warm.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
* When asked what will become of the "Generation Gap" bridge, she said, "The official response from WDI right now is simply 'we don't know'." She went on to explain that the plan is to re-open it, but they have no idea what to call it yet. The current name obviously has to go. They're also wondering if opening it really is a good idea, since it will only promote Pop guests to meander toward the AoA amenities.
[/B]
This was the impression I got as well when I asked about it during the AoA presentation at our training.

Lucky

When asked what will become of the "Generation Gap" bridge, she said, "The official response from WDI right now is simply 'we don't know'." She went on to explain that the plan is to re-open it, but they have no idea what to call it yet. The current name obviously has to go. They're also wondering if opening it really is a good idea, since it will only promote Pop guests to meander toward the AoA amenities.

[/I][/B]

Thanks for the detailed review - it sounds great. Since they're basically two different classes of resorts I don't see Pop being connected to AoA. Here's a thread from Sept. 2010 on re-naming the bridge, where I suggested they might just remove it instead.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=625591&highlight=bridge

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Thanks for sharing. What led to this opportunity?

The key locks sound like the same they have on the cruise ships. Probably just the next evolution to allow future things. Their existence may have been coincidence or evolution. DCL uses them but doesn't use the card for NFC anywhere else but the doors.

Besides being big, what's the draw for the main pool? The problem with all of the pools on property except for deluxes is they seem to have little to offer, and since they have almost no water features, the fact the water cooks in the sun makes the pools way too warm.

Yes, same as Dream and Fantasy.

I didn't see any features on, but I believe it has sprayers and a splash pad. Plays quiet pools.

Thanks for the detailed review - it sounds great. Since they're basically two different classes of resorts I don't see Pop being connected to AoA. Here's a thread from Sept. 2010 on re-naming the bridge, where I suggested they might just remove it instead.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=625591&highlight=bridge

she said it was cost prohibitive to remove it. One option is to leave it open for cast and special events or parties.

nemobruce

I have a small concern regarding the RFID technology, as the banks and credit card industry are finding out the RFID chip can be scanned with a remote device and all the information on it can be taken and duplicated. Now when the full project is a go what will stop would be thieves form roaming around the resorts and taking your information and letting themselves into your room, or worse charging up your credit card. I am sure Disney has put a lot of thought in to this will be interesting to see what security measures they have as the bank and credit card industry are struggling to find one.

Sounds incredibly awesome, but at nearly $300/night in the "low" season, this is definitely not a "value" resort. An upcharge is understandable, but approx. $200 more than next door at Pop? They're charging guests for 2 rooms. It's close to a $60 increase from the same style room at Music.

One can only hope that after the "new" wears off, rates will come down (slightly). Honestly, what they charge for 98% of the resorts is way overinflated compared to what you actually get--aside from atmosphere and location.

El Grupo

Excellent update. Appreciate the time you put into this.

Great to hear that AoA is exceeding expectations. Hopefully a sign of good things down the road.

dcibrando

my family is going at the end of October and may stay a week here in the Mermaid standard rooms... being annual passholders, I have a feeling there won't be any discounts offered here though (or if there will be the standard rooms will already be full)

ToTBellHop

Sounds incredibly awesome, but at nearly $300/night in the "low" season, this is definitely not a "value" resort. An upcharge is understandable, but approx. $200 more than next door at Pop? They're charging guests for 2 rooms. It's close to a $60 increase from the same style room at Music.

One can only hope that after the "new" wears off, rates will come down (slightly). Honestly, what they charge for 98% of the resorts is way overinflated compared to what you actually get--aside from atmosphere and location.
The traditional value resort rooms in The Little Mermaid section have traditional value resort prices (I seem to remember them costing $5 more/night than the other values, which seems reasonable given the facilities.

Lynn1030

So exciting to hear the Mermaid rooms are opening sooner. Tonight/tomorrow could be either full of Disney happiness and planning, or sadness because we decide to wait until next year to go, as we had originally planned. We shall see! Thanks for the update!

WDWfanboy

Very cool news about the RFID locks-I was surprised they didn't install those at the Yacht and Beach Club last month when they redid all the locks.

Going to be interesting to see how this resort does-it seems like it's trying to split the difference between a value and a moderate.

Lucky

Art Deco Crossing should be the name of the bridge. Just sayin'...

It was Generation Gap Bridge, when it was supposed to connect the two halves of Pop Century. Now that it's connecting Pop to the more upscale AoA, it should be Class Warfare Bridge.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Honestly, what they charge for 98% of the resorts is way overinflated compared to what you actually get--aside from atmosphere and location.

I agree that resort prices are high, but you have to remember that Disney also figures in (hides) bus, boat and monorail transportation into the price of a room. I'm assuming that even some of the extra magic hours costs are built in. The $'s to fund these "perks" has to come from somewhere. Nothing in this world is ever free, with maybe the only exception being love!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom