Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Discussion

csm

There will probably be 3-5 trains (using Thunder as the comparison). I'd say 4 total trains with 3 in use most days.

Plans show six trains on the track. Whether or not six will run on average is another issue entirely. Beyond that, clearly you are good wit numbers. I am not. I'll just believe you from there on the math :lol:

WDW_Princess

It is a new ride. Isn't this what we all complain about? That nothing new happens to MK. Now we are going to be mad about it if it is too short, or too slow. Can't we just be happy that something new is happening?

Mansion Butler

This would be the approximate hourly capacity given the frequency of dispatches:
60 seconds: 1680
65 seconds: 1551
70 seconds: 1440
75 seconds: 1344
80 seconds: 1260
85 seconds: 1186
90 seconds: 1120
Not bad. Especially if CSM is right about six trains, or if they can somehow get those dispatches down, you're talking about an OHRC not dramatically behind capacity monsters like HM, IASW and PotC.

Adding one high and one somewhat high capacity ride to Fantasyland would be pretty nifty. I'm slightly worried about how FP will work for the Little Mermaid ride because I'm not a big fan of FP on an omni-mover, but we'll see.

Lee

Adventurer
Rumored 7 mine cars per "train"
Concept art reveals 4 guests per car, or 28 total per train.
Nah...
6 trains
4 cars per train, 4 guests per car= 16 guests per train.

That's 96 guests max on the ride at any one time, assuming they would ever run all six trains at once.

I'll not try to do the hourly math...:hammer:

MickeyPeace

Of the new attractions that have been confirmed, this is the one I'm looking forward to most. I don't know how much of a thrill it could be though if the cars are rocking back and forth as it goes. If it were as fast as BTM, guests could get whiplash. I could only hope it's as thrilling though as it is one of my favorite attractions.

And it is Fantasyland after all. Any high speed thrills ever exist there?

csm

Of the new attractions that have been confirmed, this is the one I'm looking forward to most. I don't know how much of a thrill it could be though if the cars are rocking back and forth as it goes. If it were as fast as BTM, guests could get whiplash. I could only hope it's as thrilling though as it is one of my favorite attractions.

Um - swinging coasters have existed for *decades* and are perfectly safe not to mention pretty darn popular. In fact that was just recently an uproar when Busch Gardens Williamsburg closed down their own classic Big Bad Wolf coaster to make way for future expansion. In all past instances, the swinging coasters have been suspended, hanging from an overhead track. Although the track is below in the Dwarfs Mine case, it's exactly the same idea in that sense.

And it is Fantasyland after all. Any high speed thrills ever exist there?

Um, Matterhorn Bobsleds? You know? Disney's very first roller coaster? The one that is still uber-popular today? The worst impression people can have is that Fantasyland is for little kids. Every land of the park is intended to have features that appeal to every age group. Seven Dwarfs is long over due.

Mansion Butler

Um - swinging coasters have existed for *decades* and are perfectly safe not to mention pretty darn popular. In fact that was just recently an uproar when Busch Gardens Williamsburg closed down their own classic Big Bad Wolf coaster to make way for future expansion. In all past instances, the swinging coasters have been suspended, hanging from an overhead track. Although the track is below in the Dwarfs Mine case, it's exactly the same idea in that sense.
Doesn't the Cheetah Chase or whatever it's called at Busch Gardens tilt as it hits corners? Am I just imagining that? I know I've been on a mad mouse that does somewhere, I can absolutely picture what the effect can be like, and it's fun.

Um, Matterhorn Bobsleds? You know? Disney's very first roller coaster? The one that is still uber-popular today?
Now, to be fair, it did start in Tomorrowland. :lol:

The worst impression people can have is that Fantasyland is for little kids. Every land of the park is intended to have features that appeal to every age group. Seven Dwarfs is long over due.
:sohappy:

csm

Doesn't the Cheetah Chase or whatever it's called at Busch Gardens tilt as it hits corners? Am I just imagining that? I know I've been on a mad mouse that does somewhere, I can absolutely picture what the effect can be like, and it's fun.

Actually, you have never been on a wild mouse that does that because such a thing does not exist yet. :p

That's not to say you haven't been on one at some carnival that was perhaps falling apart? :lol:

Mansion Butler

Actually, you have never been on a wild mouse that does that because such a thing does not exist yet. :p

That's not to say you haven't been on one at some carnival that was perhaps falling apart? :lol:
Hmmmmm. There's no such thing as any coaster with flat turns in the world where the car body is designed to tip on the wheels? Not the wheels actually physically lifting or anything.

csm

Hmmmmm. There's no such thing as any coaster with flat turns in the world where the car body is designed to tip on the wheels? Not the wheels actually physically lifting or anything.

No - only with the older suspended coasters, designed in large by Arrow with a few later on done by Vekoma when they were basically piggybacking Arrow's designs at the time.

Arrow's very first try at a suspended coaster - The Bat - at Paramount's Kings Island was basically how you describe. None of the turns were banked and the vehicles (hanging under the track in that case, not above) were free to swing out and tilt as the train navigated them. What happened in very short time was that while the riders got a banked turn, the chassis of the train did not, quickly creating cracks and stress fractures all over the place. This ride was removed in short order, and every suspended swinging coaster to follow had banked track to avoid the slamming The Bat experienced.

Actually - to add to this, Premier Rides (maker of Revenge of the Mummy) has a new model coaster out there they have yet to sold where, though the cars do not swing/tilt, they are designed to fishtail going around turns. Interesting, unique concept that they have been trying to sell for several years now at IAAPA and yet to be successful in doing so.

csm

I need to figure out what I'm thinking about then, because some wire is crossed.

I'm really curious myself! Occasionally, if a wild mouse is allowed to run pretty much unbraked, it sometimes might give you the *impression* that the car is titling as the forces through you to the side of your seat. I'm guessing you found this experience out there.

RSoxNo1

Plans show six trains on the track. Whether or not six will run on average is another issue entirely. Beyond that, clearly you are good wit numbers. I am not. I'll just believe you from there on the math :lol:

Nah...
6 trains
4 cars per train, 4 guests per car= 16 guests per train.

That's 96 guests max on the ride at any one time, assuming they would ever run all six trains at once.

I'll not try to do the hourly math...:hammer:

I'm on it - new numbers

6 trains (somewhat irrelevant, just allows for shorter dispatch intervals if the ride is longer)

16 guests per train

30 seconds: 1920
35 seconds: 1646
40 seconds: 1440
45 seconds: 1280
50 seconds: 1152
55 seconds: 1047
60 seconds: 960

For those that have seen the plans, do you know what the load/unload will look like? To get the dispatch at 45 seconds it may have to be more like Thunder Mountain than Everest.

csm

I'm on it - new numbers

For those that have seen the plans, do you know what the load/unload will look like? To get the dispatch at 45 seconds it may have to be more like Thunder Mountain than Everest.

I move that your screen name is formally changed to "Numbers" :cool:

There is a separate load and unload but they are in a line (think Revenge of the Mummy.)

I think it's longer now, but when it first opened, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster had something like a 25 second dispatch interval, so even your lowest number might end up higher. Based on your math, we could have a nice little people eater here. Thanks, Numbers!

MickeyPeace

Um, Matterhorn Bobsleds? You know? Disney's very first roller coaster? The one that is still uber-popular today? The worst impression people can have is that Fantasyland is for little kids. Every land of the park is intended to have features that appeal to every age group. Seven Dwarfs is long over due.

UM-Suspended track is not the same as track below the car obviously. Um- you might want to correct Disney on their own blog for saying "The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system". Clearly they don't know what they're talking about. Yes, that's snark.

And lastly-
UM- I was talking about Fantasyland in Disney World since that's where the expansion is happening, not to mention this site is called WDWmagic as in Walt Disney World. You know? UM?

csm

UM-Suspended track is not the same as track below the car obviously. Um- you might want to correct Disney on their own blog for saying "The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system". Clearly they don't know what they're talking about. Yes, that's snark.

And lastly-
UM- I was talking about Fantasyland in Disney World since that's where the expansion is happening, not to mention this site is called WDWmagic as in Walt Disney World. You know? UM?

I've never claimed the Dwarfs Train to be anything but a first of its kind ride system.

No need to reply to my posts. I now have you set to filter to keep things professional for everyone else reading the board. No room for pointless bickering, or "snark."

MickeyPeace

I've never claimed the Dwarfs Train to be anything but a first of its kind ride system.

No need to reply to my posts. I now have you set to filter to keep things professional for everyone else reading the board. No room for pointless bickering, or "snark."

I expected that kind of response from you. If you want to keep things professional then treat people with respect. There is plenty of snark and bickering on these threads and in this case it started with you and your condescending UMs. If you can't take the ums don't dish them out. Better yet "keep it professional"

loaloa

Disney and more have an interesting article showing more details from the new Fantasyland artwork, including an outside scene of the mine coaster with the seven dwarfs:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/01/closer-look-to-wdw-new-fantasyland.html

I think the ride will be a good "D" ticket but i don't think its track or style is inspired by WDS Crush coaster but more by the upcoming Grizzly coaster currently build at HKDL (which have also a "mine" story) and i won't be surprised if WDI did a "Snow White" adaptation of the HKDL concept...

Lee

Adventurer
Disney and more have an interesting article showing more details from the new Fantasyland artwork, including an outside scene of the mine coaster with the seven dwarfs:

I think the ride will be a good "D" ticket but i don't think its track or style is inspired by WDS Crush coaster but more by the upcoming Grizzly coaster currently build at HKDL (which have also a "mine" story) and i won't be surprised if WDI did a "Snow White" adaptation of the HKDL concept...
As always, Alain did a great job enhancing the art. However, he took it a little too literally with the closeness of the Dumbos. They will be much farther apart that shown in the art.

As for your statement about the Mine Train and Grizzly in HK...they are completely different. Nothing in common at all besides both having a mine theme.

I was bored last night and started playing around with MS Paint. For anyone who is interested, here is a rendering of the Mine Ride layout, minus the theming and landscaping of course.
(I apologize for the crudeness, but I kinda suck at Paint and have no idea how to use Photoshop or some other program to just do an overlay on the original plans.)
The writing is a little small, so...
Back - Ride Track
Maroon - Transfer Track
Gray - Station
Brown - Storage Track
Red - Standby Queue
Green - Fastpass Queue
Yellow - Exit

Attachments

• mrlayout.jpg
    mrlayout.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 866

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom