New Construction..Something Big..?

mastif

Original Poster
Hello all. I would like to say that I have been viewing these boards for awhile and decided to join to ask about a rumor i heard while working one day at epcot. I'm currently seasonal and haven't kept up on the disney news ad didn't realize that Jim Mcphee isn't the president of epcot anymore. I learned this while backstage doing something unmagical with a random attractions manager. He told me that Jim was moved to some BIG project down the way(i forget where, somewhere in wdw) This was basically all he told me. Is there any truth to this? This guy could have been pulling my leg, or maybe misinformed. This was june when I went. Anything submerge since then?

As I said I've been having trouble keeping up with wdw news, so if someone knows something, or can lead me in the direction, I'd appreciate it!

Captain Hank

Jim moved on to head "Walt Disney World Special Projects." As far as I know, nothing concrete has been announced as coming from his department.

Figment632

It's common knowledge that he is working on SGE 2!!! Bigger, Badder, More Chili dog, and the AE AA will be sacrificed before Stitch!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The special projects dept is looking at some big resort-wide capabilities. We should be starting to see some of the fruits of their labor soon. Details will be forthcoming :)

Exprcoofto

The special projects dept is looking at some big resort-wide capabilities. We should be starting to see some of the fruits of their labor soon. Details will be forthcoming :)

One can only hope to hear some solid concrete information on all these wild rumors. Lets hope for some press releases soon. :)

SirNim

One can only hope to hear some solid concrete information on all these wild rumors. Lets hope for some press releases soon. :)
Indeed, very intriguing. You wonder what kind of resort-wide initiatives a new department would be formed for, considering the vast number of projects, expansions, and celebrations that have been created in the 38 years without it.

The Conundrum

Hello all. I would like to say that I have been viewing these boards for awhile and decided to join to ask about a rumor i heard while working one day at epcot. I'm currently seasonal and haven't kept up on the disney news ad didn't realize that Jim Mcphee isn't the president of epcot anymore. I learned this while backstage doing something unmagical with a random attractions manager. He told me that Jim was moved to some BIG project down the way(i forget where, somewhere in wdw) This was basically all he told me. Is there any truth to this? This guy could have been pulling my leg, or maybe misinformed. This was june when I went. Anything submerge since then?

As I said I've been having trouble keeping up with wdw news, so if someone knows something, or can lead me in the direction, I'd appreciate it!

Joke post?

Love_RnR

"I learned this while backstage doing something unmagical with a random attractions manager."

If that's what it takes to be a seasonal... what does it take to be full-time??? :ROFLOL:

lentesta

Premium Member
I get the whole idea of RFID to replace tickets, identify those who should get in Extra Magic Hours, etc. The thing is, all of those features are already possible with magnetic-stripe cards, and that technology is ubiquitous. It's relatively cheap. Switching over will mean capital investment and staff re-training. I don't see a substantial benefit.

If they're using the technology to personalize the ride experience, that would be mildly more interesting. It would have to be something on a grand scale, however, to justify the investment cost. I would be disappointed to end up with the RFID equivalent of Pal Mickey.

Len

Bluewaves

Maybe its something more basic, Disney did announce going Carbon free by whenever, maybe its something along those lines. replacing electric grids, adding solar power, wind power, etc, etc.

I never understood why Disney did just cover the undeveloped areas of the southern part of the property with solar panels and wind farms, sure the capital investment might be high but you would end up with a sustainable power supply and wouldn't have to deal with the pricing of electricity.

If they then had enough capacity they theoretically could also start cracking their own hydrogen and run all the buses off of that too so the ever changing price of fuel doesn't need to be budgeted or figured out.

Thats just my 2 cents though, but its what I would do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom