E:E news update

Disneychild92

Is it possible that what the CM meant was not that the five trains themselves broke the yeti... but with back to back trains passing by so quickly, the excessive demand of the yeti movement was too much for the arm (not enough rest time in between trains for the arm mechanism) Just a thought:dazzle:

that makes sence to me

Piebald

Sorry to make you cry. :lol:

Compared to other posts in here, I'm surprised you picked my post to call out.

Have a magical day! :D

I just read the stuff on here. I don't nitpick about grammar and spelling. Not everyone can spell perfectly or has the knowledge to use spellcheck on their computers. My brain had no problem processing what the OP was trying to say. Everyone should just give the guy a break.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I just read the stuff on here. I don't nitpick about grammar and spelling. Not everyone can spell perfectly or has the knowledge to use spellcheck on their computers. My brain had no problem processing what the OP was trying to say. Everyone should just give the guy a break.

My initial post was meant to be funny/ironic. :D :wave:

EpcotServo

what you are not understanding is that it was not the 5 trains that broke it. it was the force of the yetti. remember that thing is very powerful and when 5 trains is on the track it's a lot to handle. Oh and there really was no A and B mode. They only made B mode when the yetti stop working. Trust me I was there when it opened and went there almost every month since thin.

Yes, the Yeti is powerful.

No, five trains running wasn't the problem. Like I said, it's designed to go every 35 seconds, mo matter what. If it hasn't had 35 seconds, it just wouldn't go. If it broke like you said, it was because of his normal operation causing it stress. Fifth train or not.

Now I don't really call myself an expert on any attraction, save for two: Muppet Vision 3-D, and Expedition Everest.

Trust me, I was there BEFORE it opened.
:lol:

Now if you are really an expert you should be able to finish this pretty easy...

The place in Expedition Everest a train is most likely to valley is "The:

abreadcrumboi

That doesnt really make any sense. The yeti structure is totally independent from the ride track, so the number of running cars isnt going to make any difference.

If this was reported to you by a CM, it sounds like the Yeti's none appearance is turning into a lot of story telling.

maybe its because they had to run the yeti more frequently because there were more trains on the track

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can you confirm what is actually broke? I have heard everything from his back to the foundation he is mounted to.
I was told his `spine` in July, and since then it`s foundation problems.

Either way it`s bad show - albeit unforseen - considering the AA is the center of the media hype.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, the Yeti is powerful.

No, five trains running wasn't the problem. Like I said, it's designed to go every 35 seconds, mo matter what. If it hasn't had 35 seconds, it just wouldn't go. If it broke like you said, it was because of his normal operation causing it stress. Fifth train or not.

Now I don't really call myself an expert on any attraction, save for two: Muppet Vision 3-D, and Expedition Everest.

Trust me, I was there BEFORE it opened.
:lol:

Now if you are really an expert you should be able to finish this pretty easy...

The place in Expedition Everest a train is most likely to valley is "The:

I do not know the answer but maybe you could answer this for me. What type of durability testing did they do on the mechanics of the yeti? Was is all theoretical and computer modeling did the do full scale cycle testing (ie run the yeti every 35 seconds until it breaks, then find out why and revise design, repeat.) or a combination of the two? What I am trying to get at is what went wrong? Did someone fudge up on a math equation, was there a breakdown in the system (ie yeti tested, foundation tested but yeti and foundation not tested together) or was the largest most powerful animatronic put into service with little or now durability testing?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I was told his `spine` in July, and since then it`s foundation problems.

Either way it`s bad show - albeit unforseen - considering the AA is the center of the media hype.
Have they changed that Travel channel bit yet when talking about AK and its biggest attraction? :drevil:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I do not know the answer but maybe you could answer this for me. What type of durability testing did they do on the mechanics of the yeti? Was is all theoretical and computer modeling did the do full scale cycle testing (ie run the yeti every 35 seconds until it breaks, then find out why and revise design, repeat.) or a combination of the two? What I am trying to get at is what went wrong? Did someone fudge up on a math equation, was there a breakdown in the system (ie yeti tested, foundation tested but yeti and foundation not tested together) or was the largest most powerful animatronic put into service with little or now durability testing?
All valid questions. My guess is that it was a computer model that was tested for durability... and not tested till broken in scale of 100% scale model. That is just a guess though.

Either way, I hope they fix him. Letting such a huge accomplishment stay in "B" mode would be tragic.

Mstr Gra-c

It was nothing of the sort...I had nothing to do with it but originally I was going to defend the OP by simply reminding everyone that we all have strengths and weaknesses.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

If indeed there is a serious underlying problem, how about the possibility of a material/supplier implementation fault? Most of your points there point to the design phase. The actually implementation may be the cause.

hokielutz

Is it possible that what the CM meant was not that the five trains themselves broke the yeti... but with back to back trains passing by so quickly, the excessive demand of the yeti movement was too much for the arm (not enough rest time in between trains for the arm mechanism) Just a thought:dazzle:

If this was the case, then Disney must have hired engineers from UVA, and not from Virginia Tech. :lol:

Go Hokies!!

EpcotServo

He was designed, fully built, then tested and programmed in a WDI warehouse in Glendale.

They completly built him from the ground up there, and then ran him through (hundreds of hours, I'm sure) stress testing and programming before he was disassembled and sent to Florida in giant boxes, and then reassembled in the ride. Then they did even more testing and inspections.

Whatever happend wasn't a fault of engineering, it had to just be an accidental fault due to prolonged operation-Some things can't be prevented or forseen. They just happen. We DO have to remember that this is his third year of on-stage operation, four if you count design/construction/testing.
javascript:emoticon('^_^')

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If indeed there is a serious underlying problem, how about the possibility of a material/supplier implementation fault? Most of your points there point to the design phase. The actually implementation may be the cause.
Very true and it is something that I really did not consider. From my own experience installation and manufacturing errors far outweigh design errors. I guess it would help if we actually know what was wrong with our furry friend. It could an error as simple as part A being made out of the wrong grade of steel or an incorrect bolt being used.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Very true and it is something that I really did not consider. From my own experience installation and manufacturing errors far outweigh design errors. I guess it would help if we actually know what was wrong with our furry friend. It could an error as simple as part A being made out of the wrong grade of steel or an incorrect bolt being used.

Yep exactly. Foundation problems have been thrown around as well. I'm no engineer, but I know there are all kinds of problems involved in high stress bearing foundations. I would think material problems or installation problems could become a major issue there. And as you say, fractures in steel or fastners problems. They happen often enough in aviation, and if it goes on there, with all their manufacturing controls, it could very well happen here.

Of course, the problem could also be something totally unrelated to anything serious in design/manufacturing/installation. Such as, AK has no budget until xx xx 2008/2009 to replace the part that is currently causing it to be down.

hokielutz

Yep exactly. Foundation problems have been thrown around as well. I'm no engineer, but I know there are all kinds of problems involved in high stress bearing foundations. I would think material problems or installation problems could become a major issue there. And as you say, fractures in steel or fastners problems. They happen often enough in aviation, and if it goes on there, with all their manufacturing controls, it could very well happen here.

Of course, the problem could also be something totally unrelated to anything serious in design/manufacturing/installation. Such as, AK has no budget until xx xx 2008/2009 to replace the part that is currently causing it to be down.

I also agree it could have been a material or on-site installation problem that was hidden and eventually became unsound and broke. Breaking in what way... who knows. Materials that are manufactured for today's top technically designed military applications go through enormous screening and testing processes before being put into installation and service. It is entirely possible that some steel, or concrete was faulty and could not stand the stress tollerances the Yeti is designed to impart on its support structure, or its own mechanical parts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom