British Flooding -- Steve?

prberk

Original Poster
To Steve and our other UK friends -- I have read about the massive floods in areas of Britain over the last few days.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=3403374

Television reports look pretty bad in some areas. So, I thought I would start a thread (1) to let you know we care across "the pond," and (2) to check up on you all of you "over there"...

My thoughts and prayers are with all you, especially if you have already been affected.

Paul

CAPTAIN HOOK

How thoughtful Paul.

The Captains safe - living about 200 miles north of the affected areas which seem to be focused around Gloucester. Some people may not be as fortunate as me - I know Barnum42 is from around that area. Are you OK old pal ??

barnum42

First time I've logged in here in ages - Mad mentioned I was being asked after. Thank you. Nice to know someone remembers me :wave:

Thankfully I'm safe from the floods. Plenty of rain, which is getting a little tiresome, but I'm nicely elevated above the rivers that run through Bristol.

Not far North is Gloucestershire, which has been hammered. One of the places there that I used to visit (Tewkesbury) to work when Hallmark had offices there is currently under water .

tewkes_abbey203x152.jpg

This map shows the areas that have been hit big time

uk_flood629X420.gif

I'm just south of the shaded area that includes Gloucester and Tewkesbury

Nemo14

First time I've logged in here in ages - Mad mentioned I was being asked after. Thank you. Nice to know someone remembers me :wave:

Thankfully I'm safe from the floods. Plenty of rain, which is getting a little tiresome, but I'm nicely elevated above the rivers that run through Bristol.

Not far North is Gloucestershire, which has been hammered. One of the places there that I used to visit (Tewkesbury) to work when Hallmark had offices there is currently under water .

tewkes_abbey203x152.jpg

This map shows the areas that have been hit big time

uk_flood629X420.gif

I'm just south of the shaded area that includes Gloucester and Tewkesbury
Joe - Glad to hear from you and glad everything is OK.

Miss you!
:kiss:

prberk

Original Poster
Thanks for the map, Barnum/Joe! Glad to see you are OK. Same for you, Captain!

That map really helps. As you might imagine, the coverage here is either sensational or lacking completely. They don't say enough about the English geography to make distinction very well.

Anyhow, keep us posted -- all of you.

Still haven't heard from Steve, but unless his servers are located elsewhere he must be OK. I am sure he will check in soon.

Paul

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We're doing just fine here thanks :) There are some floods very near to where we live, but there is still power and running water. I'm in Warwickshire on the map above.

Thanks for the concern.

cmatt

been nice and sunny in edinburgh.... :)

that said - i have a close friend caught up in it.... but they seemed ok.

It is just that clean water supplies will be wearing thin sooon :(

TiggerBW

I'm so glad everyone is ok that checked in so far! Yes we do miss you Joe!
Thanks for the maps! I am praying for all those affected. What a shame!!!!!!

Erika

Until I saw this thread and did a quick search online, I had no idea as to the extent of this. Either our local news has not reported on it, or I've managed to miss it. Horrible.

Who else has not checked in?

CAPTAIN HOOK

Pumbas Nakasak and Marni1971 haven't checked in on this thread, but both have posted since the floods (neither live in affected areas anyway)

tigsmom

Until I saw this thread and did a quick search online, I had no idea as to the extent of this. Either our local news has not reported on it, or I've managed to miss it. Horrible.

Who else has not checked in?

Same here. Our local news hasn't really said anything other than they are having torrential rains, there was no mention of the flooding or all the damage.
I know Dave ( Ogryn ) is here in the States at WDW, I wonder how his hometown is doing. His profile says Hampshire, but I know he has moved recently and I'm not sure if thats his place or his mum's.

Jellyfish

I'm quite surprised it even got mentioned in america, because i thought it would just stay as a UK news story, its great that it has though, as we get american storys on our news quite a bit, but thanks for all your concern guys :D

prberk

Original Poster
I'm quite surprised it even got mentioned in america, because i thought it would just stay as a UK news story, its great that it has though, as we get american storys on our news quite a bit, but thanks for all your concern guys :D

Well, you know, with globalization of the news and satellite communication, there should be more of this, I think.

I am a little embarrassed that I didn't have a better handle on English geography before that map was posted, especially since Virginia takes some much of its own place names and geography from "the Old Country"...

Anyhow, I am glad to see you all are doing well. Please keep us posted if you have local news that you think we might find interesting..

And, by the way Steve, I am just curious: are your WDW Magic servers located where you are, or elsewhere?

Paul

barnum42

Same here. Our local news hasn't really said anything other than they are having torrential rains, there was no mention of the flooding or all the damage.
I know Dave ( Ogryn ) is here in the States at WDW, I wonder how his hometown is doing. His profile says Hampshire, but I know he has moved recently and I'm not sure if thats his place or his mum's.
His mum lives on the Hampshire coast.

Looking at the map again:

uk_flood629X420.gif

Dave is a little to the right and down a bit from Reading. I'll be driving through that way tomorrow on my way to my folks in Surrey, which is to the right of Hampshire.

It's been pouring down here all day, but forecast for tomorrow and Saturday is much better.

The news has shown that in Gloucestershire they have been having problems supplying drinking water. The water authorities have been setting up large containers and filling them with water for people to fill up their own containers, but some people are getting greedy and hoarding as much water as they can, meaning others go without. Then the yobs move in and vandalise the containers....

The army is now distributing bottled water.

GenerationX

They said on the news here that hundreds of thousands of people are without clean water and that several have died as a result of the floods. My best wishes to all of the U.K. members here and their families and friends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom