Fun Fan get together for EPCOT's 25th on Oct 1st

maharet97a

They all sound great! Let us know when decisions have been made and arrangements for payment have been set. Woo hoo. This is gonna be awesome.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I'm all for atleast 1 upgrade too, as the second tier sounds a little more classy and yummy. And I can go up, but think that's the best fit (make-it-yourself sounds "ok" but the tier above that sounds nice, and the supreme seems a little silly unless we really love bananas fosters, but i'll still do that).

How about we start a thread asking who definately wants to do this and polling for people's "top tier" with pricing.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I have to congradulate Jason for taking the time to book this courtesy hold for us....MUCH appreciated and i tip my Mickey Ears to you as a salute for taking this upon yourself on our behalf!

I am all for this, totally, and i do not mind spending a little more to get the better Dessert Options. However, there is still one thing that has me concerned...

HOW can we pay for this reasonably, safely, and in complicance? It would be nice to know if they would accept individual payments from seperate parties, but somehow i doubt this is how it is handled. One person or company usually just books and pays for it i'm sure.

The only way i can see it happening is if one of us goes out on a limb and pays out the deposit, and then collects money from those coming. HOW this can be done safely, and without the possible chance of some not paying ( thus the person who made the depo is out of $) is the only thing really holding me back. It's too bad it's not like a regular buffet where you can just show up, pay your addmission and you are all set! LOL!!

Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps we should heed Lee's advice and contact those guys he mentioned for advice/help?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Open a paypal "fund" like those you find on the various websites asking for donations. If the monetary need isn't met, then don't do the deposit.

We know we needs $575 plus food price.

So, i posted the poll to figure out which food setup to ask for, and to give us an idea of attendees/interest. With that in mind, we can start gathering money, hopefully make the deposit, and then once we reach the "set in stone" deadline (which we'll agree on before taking money) any extra money (like if more people attend then our original estimate) will be divided evenly back amoung those who paid in.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Does'nt PayPal charge like an arm and a leg for there services though? I have heard that sending money to someone is great and free, but retrieving money from one of there accounts is fraught with fees and other hassles. Don't they take a percentage of money when you withdraw?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Nope, if you transfer to your back account, it's free. I like to assume that no one will take the money and run if they set up the thing.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And i would like to assume that no one would hack into the system and somehow steal your bank account info...and then take your money and run!

Argh.....i knew there was a catch......they charge you normally, but if you are willing to reveal your bank account info it's free.

How many people would be willing to take that risk however, in today's world? I know i would'nt want to be telling anyone such info for security reasons.

Hmmm....

brkgnews

Let's find out how the last group did it. I can help front SOME of the deposit if needs be (say $200 of it), but I can't eat the whole $500+.

robhedin

I'm in; but would prefer to do the 2nd as opposed to the first-- just sounds yummier;

As long as the minimum is only 20-30 people for the space in question, I'm willing to book it, cover the deposit and guarantee the balance-- I wouldn't think that Disney would want to deal with individuals calling in $25 charges, but I'm sure we can figure out some way to cover the cost who ever actually pays for it.

rob.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
If can get 20 people who want to go, the price is only $53.25 per person with the second tier (World Minis) and i dont think that souns unreasonable for such a unique experience.

At the far end, 200 people works out to 27.35 per person on the second tier.

brkgnews

And if we can't get 20 of the 100+ who have registered to go, then I'll just have to eat their share of the food. :lookaroun

jasondiff

Merf,
Thanks for setting up the poll. I posted all the details just before I left work, and was thinking on the way home a poll would work out well. I guess great minds think alike!

I definitely think the second tier is the way to go. That's what we did for my wedding in 2003 and it was definitely worth the extra $5.

I looked into the Paypal "donations" and they still charge their ~3% fee on received payments but there is no other charges to do it. Amazon also has a similar system but they also charge roughly the same fees. I think unless we can pay Disney directly this would be the best way to handle the money. Paypal makes refunds fairly easy so we could collect some reasonable amount based on predicted turnout and then once final numbers are in, we can refund any extra. Unless we can get Disney to handle the money, this way seems the easiest, and 3% isn't too bad.

I will talk to my Disney Event Coordinator tomorrow and find out if they can take payments directly. The only problem in this scenario is we will still have to make the deposit, and we won't know how much to charge to cover that deposit since we won't have numbers. After I talk to her and get some details I will PM Kevin Page and Bwana Bob if necessary for more details.

Edited to add:

Paypal allows refunds up to 60 days from the payment date. That puts a crimp on the overpayment issue, but we can figure out other ways to refund people. Heck, I can just write out a load of checks for a couple dollars each. My bank will go nuts!

The final payment date is 30 days in advance, which would be August 31 (since Sept 1 is a Saturday). We'd have to set the sign-up and payment cutoff a couple days before that to make sure we receive payments in time and can finalize all the numbers.

jasondiff

I posted this in the poll thread but will repeat it here for reference.

Here's how pricing breaks down per person based on Dessert Tier and # of Attendees:

(Math notes: Food prices do not include 20% gratuity and 6.5% sales tax; Venue and Setup fees do not include 6.5% sales tax. So basically we're sharing $575 +tax = $612.38)

Code:
Tier	          1	  2       3	  4	  5
Base Price PP	19.50	24.50	27.00	31.50	39.50
With Tax&Grat   24.67	30.99	34.16	39.85	49.97

TOTAL PRICE PER PERSON based on:				
20 People	55.29	61.61	64.77	70.47	80.59
30 People	45.08	51.41	54.57	60.26	70.38
50 People	36.92	43.24	46.40	52.10	62.22
75 People	32.83	39.16	42.32	48.01	58.13
100 People	30.79	37.12	40.28	45.97	56.09
150 People	28.75	35.08	38.24	43.93	54.05
200 People	27.73	34.05	37.22	42.91	53.03

brkgnews

I say if there's any slight overage (a couple of dollars or so per person), we just let whoever front's the deposit keep it as a way of saying thanks for putting their b*lls out and paying that much money with no guarantees of attendance. :lookaroun

EDIT: Even if you can't do a "refund" in paypal, couldn't you do a "send money"?

jasondiff

I say if there's any slight overage (a couple of dollars or so per person), we just let whoever front's the deposit keep it as a way of saying thanks for putting their b*lls out and paying that much money with no guarantees of attendance. :lookaroun

EDIT: Even if you can't do a "refund" in paypal, couldn't you do a "send money"?

Yes, you could do a "send money", the catch there is that the recipient then gets hit with the 3% fee. And if the recipient doesn't have a paypal account, then they'll have to sign up for one. (I think we'll be able to set it up so the senders don't need a paypal account, just a credit card, but I'll have to double-check on that.)

I was thinking if there's extra we could figure out something cool to do with it as a group, instead of worrying about a lot of small-denomination refunds.

jasondiff

What do you guys think of a cash bar? This is something we could add, I don't think it would cost anything additional, and people would just buy what they wanted.
Here is the breakdown:

Call Brands Cash Bar

Soft Drinks
Coke
Diet Coke
Sprite
$4.00 each

Juice and Bottled Water
Orange Juice
Cranberry Juice
Pineapple Juice
Dasani Purified Water
Perrier Mineral Water
$4.25 each

Domestic Beer
Bud Light
Michelob Ultra
O’Doul’s
$5.75 each

Import/Specialty
Corona
Heineken
$6.50 each

House Wine
Columbia Crest Chardonnay
Penfold’s Rawsons Retreat
Merlot
Satori Pinot Grigio
Beringer White Zinfandel
$6.50 per glass

Call Cocktails
Jim Beam
Passport Scotch
Canadian Club
Bacardi Silver
Bombay
SKYY
Sauza Gold
$7.00 each

There is a premium brand option which has premium brand wines and cocktails for a dollar more, everything else is the same.

The dessert package has only coffee, tea, and fruit punch for drinks. I know at my wedding we had lemonade too, but that's it for drinks unless we add the cash bar option.

maharet97a

If there is any money left over, why not donate it to a charity or something. Like to the Make A Wish resort in Orlando or St Jude's or the American Cancer Society or something along those lines.

As for the cash bar option, I think it's a fantastic idea. Especially if it's not going to cost us any extra (other than the obvious). It never hurts to have more options. My DH for one doesn't like coffee or hot tea and isn't fond of fruit punch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom