Fun Fan get together for EPCOT's 25th on Oct 1st

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Greetings EPCOT Fans!T There has been a lot of talk over the past few months about EPCOT's upcoming 25th anniversary this year, and many folks have expressed desire to see some sort of commemorative event or aknowledgement. Many have expressed a little dissapointment in knowing that to date, it seems that Disney does not have plans for anything relating to EPCOT's 25th. Now i know it's early still ( it's only February after all...) but i got to thinking a month or so ago......why can't we just celebrate ourselves? So this was the fun idea i came up with....and i have already mentioned it in the recent "Do you care about EPCOT's 25th" poll thread currently here on WDWMagic.com. How about having a "fan rally" of sorts on the actual day at the Park? A meet up....of everyone who would like to just get together with other Park fans and celebrate EPCOT's 25th ourselves in reasonable ways? I've been a huge fan of EPCOT since i first visited in mid-83'. Everything about the place back then had me captivated, and i would say that experience, and the multiple ones afterwards, inspired and enpowered me....and STILL does to this day. I will be there October 1st, it's a personal "must do" for me, and it would be a lot of fun to meet up with other enthusiests of all-things EPCOT and have a fun day together! We can show up at a certain time, at a certain place at the Park, and have a grand day out!Now when i say "fan rally" don't think i mean the trouble-making sort. No no no no.....that's not what i mean at all! Last thing i would want to do is cause the Disney Team issues. I am thinking more along the lines of a nice, good clean fan meet-up where we all meet up and spend the day doing nothing but get totally into EPCOT and celebrate iit's 25th in our own way.So here's what i have in mind.....if you plan on visiting WDW around the end of September/early October this year, why not meet up in front of Spaceship Earth on October 1st at a certain, pre-determined time. Just imagine the fun at meeting lots of new people who are just as enthused about EPCOT as much as you are? I'm talking about the serious fans....the ones who listen to "Illuminations: ROE" in there cars to work, driving with one hand and "conducting the symphony" with the other. I'm talking about those out there that know all the dialog to the ride through attractions, and sing along with Figment on every verse. I'm talking about the REAL EPCOT Park nutters who call this Park "home"! YES! Is that you? Well it sure is me....and i'd love to do something to at least show a gesture of appreciation for 25 years for exploration and creative discovery.So what do you think? Sound like something you would be interested in? Harmless good ol' fashioned fan meetup in honor of EPCOT's 25th Anniversary, on the actual day, maybe even the actual time? Was'nt it 10am that the Opening Ceremonies started back in 82'? We can all meet up....go off and ride SSE together, take in more rides, then maybe have lunch somewhere in WS together and for dessert, have Birthday Cake! Yum! Afterwards we can stroll around and reminicse about all the changes the Park has gone through, and ponder what the future will bring. Share stories about your experiences at the Park through the years...just general hanging-out and socializing. Of course the capper to the day will be the viewing of "Illuminations" Everyone coming will probably already know the theme music by heart, so by all means hum away ( and "conduct" all you wish....so long as it does not take away from other Guests' experience) I'll be there on the 1st for sure....with my retro EPCOT Center t-shirt on....and pin lanyard of course. How about you? Any interest in this idea? Again, this is not meant to be some hostile takeover or anything ( LOL!), just a great excuse to get together with fellow fans and recognize this milestone in our favorite Parks history. "Feel All The Wonderful Motion!"

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Great!

I figured now is the time to put this idea out there, to give people enough time to make plans, etc.

Hey, hope you can make it!

:wave:

EpcotServo

wow! I had this same idea a few days ago! (I didn't post anything, thinking it was too early.) Great minds think alike! I think everyone should bring signs and banners too. I think the park should just be flooded that day, with hard-core Epcot fans crowding the streets. That way Disney management will always look back at the day and think "man, we really messed up that day! We could've really cashed in." Really hit it home for them that they under-estimated the extent of the Epcot fan-base. I know I'll be there. Let's keep the thread and idea alive until October 1st! (maybe we could have custom T-shirts made for the event! With a retro-epcot feel to them two!) I'm behind this 100%! I'll help in any way I can. Epcot fans unite! I think our sloagan for the event should be: "The 21st century began October 1st, 1982..."

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Hey there EpcotServo!

Wow...your enthusiasim for this is nothing short of fantastic! I'm glad to see i was'nt the only one thinking of such an idea...

I think it was back around November that i was thinking about how neat it would be to have a fan gathering on October 1st to celebrate the anniversary of my fave Park. I know there is a huge group of admirers who are as passionate about all that EPCOT stands for, and what it means to us. Around that time, there was a lot of talk about if Disney would do anything "officially" to honor the anniversary, and when it seemed nothing was going to happen, it made me consider doing something regardless.

I'm glad to see there is some interest...and as time goes on hopefully many more people will read about this and decide to join us!

We can spend the next few months talking about what we would like to do together as a group there.

I suggest we all meet up on the 1st in front of SSE...right after you get through the gates, where the PhotoPass photographers usually take Guests' photos with the icon behind them. Wear all your retro EPCOT gear...Shirts, hats, etc....bring your plush Figments too!

Making homemade banners is a fun idea, however i don't know how well this would go over with Disney Management at the Park. We don't want to cause too much of a ruckus or make it seem like we are having some kind of "political" rally ( lol!)....but defiantely do whatever to show you support for EPCOT when you dress. This will make it much easier for us to spot each other from a distance...and add to the festivities!

I find the CM's really react to the old school EPCOT wearables, exspecially shirts. The times i have worn my old stuff over the years, i always recieve lots of comments and we often end up sharing memories of the by gone days. So by all means, break out those retro old shirts people! Stop by e-bay and buy one if you don't have one!

Yeah!! This is going to be great!!

jedimaster1227

Great!

I figured now is the time to put this idea out there, to give people enough time to make plans, etc.

Hey, hope you can make it!

:wave:

I will do my best! :wave:

I wish I could be there for this as Epcot is my favorite park. But unfortunately I will be in Frisco Texas.

Oy vey! :lol:

wow! I had this same idea a few days ago! (I didn't post anything, thinking it was too early.) Great minds think alike! I think everyone should bring signs and banners too. I think the park should just be flooded that day, with hard-core Epcot fans crowding the streets. That way Disney management will always look back at the day and think "man, we really messed up that day! We could've really cashed in." Really hit it home for them that they under-estimated the extent of the Epcot fan-base. I know I'll be there. Let's keep the thread and idea alive until October 1st! (maybe we could have custom T-shirts made for the event! With a retro-epcot feel to them two!) I'm behind this 100%! I'll help in any way I can. Epcot fans unite! I think our sloagan for the event should be: "The 21st century began October 1st, 1982..."

I don't really think that the fanbase (as large as it may be) could cause Disney to regret making a year long celebration. I could be wrong though...

I'm going to try and be there.

Are we posting to other websites yet? Do we have a website? A logo? A t-shirt?

Figment's Friend, if you pm me I can talk to you about hosting a website. I would be glad to help, just pm me and I will tell you what I can do! :wave:

SirNim

Do we have a website? A logo? A t-shirt?
Wanna use a modified version of my logo? :D

epcot251sm2.gif

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Wow guys, thanks so much for all the positive vibes and kind offers to help further the message and spread the news!

SirNim, your logo is cool! I think it would be neat to have our own logo for the event. Maybe we can have a fun contest and people can submit there logos? Feel free to post any ideas right here!

To KeithVH-- Yeah, there IS a key.... "...to unlock the hidden Wonders of our world.." :animwink:

For JediMaster-- I will! This sounds like a nice addition to the "cause"..thanks for offering to help out!

And for MouserMerf-- I did'nt originally plan such things, or even really think about it....but yeah! We could do this!

Like WDW itself, it's never just ONE person that makes the Magic happen...it's the whole Team! :wave:

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for fun things we can do on this special day?

Horizons1

You can bet I'm gonna try as hard as I can to make it. I'm starting classes this year for college but I'll see if there is someway possible to make it to Epcot to celebrate.

jeffb

Hi EPCOT's Friend

I think this is a great idea and I am definitely considering flying down there to be at EPCOT on October 1st. Maybe this event is the added push I need to get me there.

jeffb

Hi EPCOT's Friend

I think this is a great idea and I am definitely considering flying down there to be at EPCOT on October 1st. Maybe this event is the added push I need to get me there.

Oops - above I meant Figment's Friend. This is what happens when I post before having morning coffee.

ZapperZ

Count me in. I'm already delaying my early Sept. trip (and missing the BIG yearly pin event) just so I can be there through this date.

It would be nice to have some t-shirt or something. The WDWMagic T-shirt is certainly appropriate. However, I'm thinking of getting in touch with Jeff Pepper of the 2719 Hyperion Blog and see if he'll let me use that logo and put that on t-shirts. That would certainly be highly appropriate for that occassion.

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom