Expedition Everest's Devil's Advocate

jvenegas

Merlin said:
Put simply, cognitive dissonance is a where a person is conflicted between two simultaneous beliefs or attitudes that contradict one another. The mind seeks cognitive consonance and therefore tries to bring the two beliefs into harmony, usually by trying to justify one of them.

This is soooo deep I'll be needing scuba gear to read it.:lol:

pintraderpayee

jvenegas said:
Merlin said:
Put simply, cognitive dissonance is a where a person is conflicted between two simultaneous beliefs or attitudes that contradict one another. The mind seeks cognitive consonance and therefore tries to bring the two beliefs into harmony, usually by trying to justify one of them.

This is soooo deep I'll be needing scuba gear to read it.:lol:

Scuba gear? No. All you need is a shovel. IMHO most of Merlin's posts are deliberately argumentative and mere pseudo speak:hammer:

19 days until we are ºoºrlando bound (27 teens-school bus-930 miles of Yeti smiles:sohappy: )

peter11435

I love how now that I have posted a list of Merlin quotes where he is clearly trying to "say what the majority of people think" he chooses to ignore them altogether.

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
I love how now that I have posted a list of Merlin quotes where he is clearly trying to "say what the majority of people think" he chooses to ignore them altogether.

And I love how you keep claiming to have produced evidence that your accusation of me is true, when in fact you have not.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Merlin said:
And I love how you keep claiming to have produced evidence that your accusation of me is true, when in fact you have not.

Merlin, why is it that the vast majority of your posts here seem to be focused around bashing your point of view down peoples throats in a never ending cycle. You have been warned about this before. You have your opinion, and that is fine, but you seem to enjoy ruffling peoples feathers, and generally seem to be looking for arguments. If you cannot accept other members views without questioning everything over and over and looking for an argument, I think you should go elsewhere.

fundesign

OmegaKnight said:
As someone who works at Expedition Everest, I can tell you that guests are absolutely loving this ride. Sure, you can't please everyone but judging from the comments I am hearing guests say, Disney has built themselves a winner.

I had a little down time and decided to check one of my favorite sites and what do I find...a post about Disney vacationers being disappointed with Everest. Remember, he said these folks travel to Disney on a regular basis, so they are not looking for Six Flags thrills. That is not why they were disappointed with the ride.

I have taken at least 15 people on Everest. About 7 of them work with me in themed entertainment design. Every one of them thought it was okay but nothing to write home about. 5 of them were very disappointed in the lack of show during the ride. Regarding the non-industry riders, half of them loved it and the other half thought it was medicore. Most everyone really enjoys the backwards sequence, including myself.

I won't argue that most people get off Everest and think it's great. Not difficult to build a ride that the public enjoys when you have $100 Million to spend. It's a roller coaster for crying out loud! People will enjoy it no matter what you do. If they like BTMR they will like Everest. That is basically all it is with fewer show elements in the ride portion. Jeesh...there are only 3 show elements in the attraction! Why are so many making a big deal over a video projector, mangled track and one Animatronic with ancillary lighting? That's it? So the money went into a nice mountain and a bunch of knick knacks in the queue. I feel the same way about Kali...there is almost as much detail in its queue and it doesn't make the ride worth 2 cents in my opinion. I'm glad they spent the time and money on the Everest exterior, it's a nice addition to Animal Kingdom and does much for its ambiance. Too bad such a low percentage of the budget went into the ride show.

All in all, I don't think this project advanced the Disney repertoire of attractions with respect to innovation or presentation any more then Philarmagic or Stitch. Some will love it because it's a roller coaster but it doesn't live up to the hype in my opinion and in many others' opinions that I've talked to.

peter11435

Merlin said:
Yes I did.

Examples of Merlin trying to say what the majority of people think.

Merlin said:
guests will find it unsatisfying to only see a glimpse of the Yeti.

Merlin said:
People aren't going to get off this ride and say, "Oh I get it. It's supposed to just be a tease. We were just supposed to get a glimpse because that's how it would be in real life". Instead, most are going to say things like, "I thought you were supposed to see that snow creature on this ride. Instead, they showed us that cartoon right after we went backwards and then we went flying past a statue of it with a moving arm that looked like it was supposed to be grabbing us. What a rip!"

Merlin said:
Knowing the high expectations guests have these days regarding their entertainment, trust me....most will feel let down and disappointed.

Merlin said:
Unfortunately, people don't want a "tease" these days in their entertainment. And they don't care that the mystique is lost. In fact, they're not going on the ride just to come away puzzled and wondering what they just saw. They're riding to get the "encounter" that Disney promises them they'll have.

Merlin said:
Guests in general are going to feel jipped because of the incredibly brief sighting of the Yeti.

peter11435

SpongeScott said:
Peter, let it go. Steve's aware of what is happening now. Let's let him deal with it in his way. :wave:
Yeah, I think I will. I just can't stand him repeatedly saying I falsely accused him.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
fundesign said:
I had a little down time and decided to check one of my favorite sites and what do I find...a post about Disney vacationers being disappointed with Everest. Remember, he said these folks travel to Disney on a regular basis, so they are not looking for Six Flags thrills. That is not why they were disappointed with the ride.

I have taken at least 15 people on Everest. About 7 of them work with me in themed entertainment design. Every one of them thought it was okay but nothing to write home about. 5 of them were very disappointed in the lack of show during the ride. Regarding the non-industry riders, half of them loved it and the other half thought it was medicore. Most everyone really enjoys the backwards sequence, including myself.

I won't argue that most people get off Everest and think it's great. Not difficult to build a ride that the public enjoys when you have $100 Million to spend. It's a roller coaster for crying out loud! People will enjoy it no matter what you do. If they like BTMR they will like Everest. That is basically all it is with fewer show elements in the ride portion. Jeesh...there are only 3 show elements in the attraction! Why are so many making a big deal over a video projector, mangled track and one Animatronic with ancillary lighting? That's it? So the money went into a nice mountain and a bunch of knick knacks in the queue. I feel the same way about Kali...there is almost as much detail in its queue and it doesn't make the ride worth 2 cents in my opinion. I'm glad they spent the time and money on the Everest exterior, it's a nice addition to Animal Kingdom and does much for its ambiance. Too bad such a low percentage of the budget went into the ride show.

All in all, I don't think this project advanced the Disney repertoire of attractions with respect to innovation or presentation any more then Philarmagic or Stitch. Some will love it because it's a roller coaster but it doesn't live up to the hype in my opinion and in many others' opinions that I've talked to.

Very nice post. It's a shame others can approach discussion in the same way that you do, by providing your observation and opinions while respecting others theirs.

Pete C

It is very disappointing to watch the building of a ride, listen to the hype, and hope for an attraction to be great, then read several reviews that say it is mediocre. I am riding EE in June, but after reading reviews posted on this forum my excitement level has dropped considerably.

Shaman

Pete C said:
It is very disappointing to watch the building of a ride, listen to the hype, and hope for an attraction to be great, then read several reviews that say it is mediocre. I am riding EE in June, but after reading reviews posted on this forum my excitement level has dropped considerably.

Personally, I think the best way to go into an attraction for the first time is with with NO expectations at all. You'll enjoy it more.

:)

wannab@dis

Pete C said:
Honestly, the majority of reviews I've seen here (and elsewhere also) has been very positive. Don't let a couple of vocal detractors change your excitement about experiencing a new attraction. Just go down and give EE a try without worrying about what others say... good or bad.

Pete C

True, there are those that say Soarin and Mission Space are disappointments, but I love both of those. I was hoping for a mass blown-away reaction, but these days people seem harder to please.

SpongeScott

Pete C said:
Before M:S opened and I read all the reviews and hype, I was almost tired of the ride before I ever went on it. With EE, I refused to read any of the hype and early previews. Therefore, I went and rode with no pre-conceived ideas about it and really enjoyed it. I'll not read the hype stuff on new attractions that come out in the future.

Senderella

OmegaKnight said:
As someone who works at Expedition Everest, I can tell you that guests are absolutely loving this ride. Sure, you can't please everyone but judging from the comments I am hearing guests say, Disney has built themselves a winner.

Definately! I've only been on it once. The day we checked in actually.. Feb 12. 2 Hour wait. I've gotta say I loved it. Most rides like ToT & all have me grinning & laughing like a maniac. This one actually got a scream out of me. As soon as I got off the ride, I grabbed my cell and called my best friend (who is going with us in November for the first time ever) and TOLD him "We are *SO* going on EE in November!! No ifs ands or buts!"

fundesign

Pete C said:
Don't get me wrong...there are some good things about it. It's still fun but I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking. If you go with that in mind you'll probably enjoy it.

fundesign

ClemsonTigger said:
Very nice post. It's a shame others can approach discussion in the same way that you do, by providing your observation and opinions while respecting others theirs.
Thanks. I'm not purposely trying to be diplomatic but if there's one thing I've learned being in the design field...it's all subjective. I've met people that think Spiderman or Indy ride are just "okay." While it boggles my mind I've realized that nothing I say will change most opinions. Same goes for this project. I find helpful to speak out so as to solidify my thoughts and who knows, at the same time maybe one or two might see things in a different light.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom