Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

bclane

Would be neat if that were an acrobatic show of sorts but I'm guessing it's decoration.

What is this about, the Battle of Midway? That's the only thing I can think of. Please... because a certain word is in the name of a certain battle, it can't be used in a theme park attraction?

I don't think that's the reason for the altered name. Notice the sign in Japan is the attraction logo, while that's not the case at DHS or DCA. Seems a marketing thing. But I suppose anything's possible.
I could be wrong (probably am) but I took Bartattack's comment as him just being witty and not him really trying to explain why they dropped the word Midway from the name.

Anyway, they might have dropped it simply because certain words/phrases don't translate well in Japanese or because the longer name just wouldn't roll off the tongue as well as the shortened one.

Movielover

Anyway, they might have dropped it simply because certain words/phrases don't translate well in Japanese or because the longer name just wouldn't roll off the tongue as well as the shortened one.

On that same note I will always be disappointed that they didn't go with the Chinese title for Guardians of the Galaxy elsewhere around the world.

"Interplanetary Unusual Attacking Team."

I mean that's a winner right there!

Goofyernmost

The Japanese don’t even call their country Japan. I’m guessing you have absolutely nothing to support your assertion that the Japanese have a wide understanding of term midway as it relates to an amusement park and that term was avoided due to the Battle of Midway.
The term Midway is an American term for an amusement park. The term Midway for other cultures can be completely different. We are NOT alone on the planet.

I am not the one that asserted that they have a wide understanding of the term Midway, which is exactly what the OP was implying. I was just backing that up. I know you don't care much for me, but, at least read what I said and in relation to what. That is exactly what the reason would be for not using the word. It has a much less FUN feel to it from their end.

One of the first arguments discussions I have been in when we are both arguing discussing the same side of the discussion.

Goofyernmost

What has to be explained is your odd comment about "shivering in fear." It's incoherent.

And guess what - I'd wager most folks here know about the Battle of Midway. Your air of superiority on that point is unearned. But let's dig down into this a bit. What are the Japanese conventions for the naming of WWII battles? The north and south in the civil war, for instance, had entirely different terminology for each battle. Is the battle of Midway known as Midway in Japanese? What are the intricacies of translation here? How do Japanese sources, both academic and popular, remember the Battle? And then we need to get into popular memory, which is always tricky.

A lot of Americans died at Midway even though the Allies won, after all, but that word doesn't carry tragic overtones for American audiences. Then we should probably consider the example of Shiloh - a tragic and bloody Civil War battle that shares its name with a beloved series of children's books and films. And of course the Battle of the Bulge, one of bloodiest encounters of WWII, hasn't tainted the word "bulge." And man, can you imagine if a major studio tried to release a fantasy film called The Two Towers only a little over a year after 9/11? That would be terrible and the film would certainly bomb.

Hey, if we're going to impugn other poster's knowledge and pat ourselves on the back for our erudition, let's really explore this.
I will agree that it is out of context and that I should have possibly explained it better, but, let me clear it up, anyone with a strong grasp of history would be "shivering in fear" about the current state of world affairs. That part of the discussion had nothing to do with theme parks, it had to do with the lack of general knowledge of things that happened in the past and might affect the present and the future.

bclane

On that same note I will always be disappointed that they didn't go with the Chinese title for Guardians of the Galaxy elsewhere around the world.

"Interplanetary Unusual Attacking Team."

I mean that's a winner right there!
That's fantastic! I haven't been to China yet, but in both Japan and Korea we got a kick out of how some of the signs are translated to English and how badly some of the translations lost their original meaning in sometimes hilarious ways. You can also see people wearing t-shirts with English phrases that are sometimes really just jibberish or even quite filthy. You have to wonder if the person who created these materpieces did it intentionally or not.

Movielover

That's fantastic! I haven't been to China yet, but in both Japan and Korea we got a kick out of how some of the signs are translated to English and how badly some of the translations lost their original meaning in sometimes hilarious ways. You can also see people wearing t-shirts with English phrases that are sometimes really just jibberish or even quite filthy. You have to wonder if the person who created these materpieces did it intentionally or not.

You should really check out older foreign films that feature American characters in them. Most of them, like our older films featuring Japaneses or German characters, are just speaking flat out gibberish. It's quite humorous! Another good example is Die Hard, when it was release in Germany all the German had to be re-dubed because it was very incorrect.

bclane

You should really check out older foreign films that feature American characters in them. Most of them, like our older films featuring Japaneses or German characters, are just speaking flat out gibberish. It's quite humorous! Another good example is Die Hard, when it was release in Germany all the German had to be re-dubed because it was very incorrect.
Oh wow I didn't know that. That is too funny! On a side note, have you watched Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in both the Chinese language with English subtitles and the one that been dubbed in English? The version in English is far inferior imho. It loses so much beauty as they tried to match the English words to the mouth movements of the actors. So much better with subtitles!

raymusiccity

True the jack sparrow thing was trash

It's a shame that they couldn't have kept the pre-Narnia days of the behind the scenes studio tour. There were a lot of interesting props and displays from so many films. Anyone know what happened to the huge model locomotive from the Dick Tracy movie, or the full scale cutaway of a N. Y. Subway car? :cyclops:
(PS: funny how this system automatically censors Dick Tracy:joyfull:

Next Big Thing

New aerials: http://blogmickey.com/2017/09/photos-latest-aerial-look-toy-story-land-reveals-andys-footprints/

toy-story-land-air-09192017-10.jpg

andysol

After looking at the model, I know what the background story actually is and why Disney has taken this approach thus far.
We aren't actually in Andy's backyard.

We're shrunk down to the size of a toy and are in a model of a fictional land that is currently being built in Hollywood studios. But none of the Toys in the model know it- they think they're in Andy's backyard.

Now all the things that aren't to scale make sense.
Freakin' Disney and their immersion. They're geniuses at their craft, truly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom