Boy jumped into lake a Epcot!

IanDLBZF

Original Poster
ICYMI, over on Facebook this interesting story happened at Epcot today. A boy with autism slipped away from his parents jumped into the water near the Imagination Pavilion. CMs were able to coax him out and he was fine.
21743300_10159454409810145_102660617673049863_n.jpg

Before you guys go on jabbering about, I'd like to say that this boy had autism and it was revealed that the boy was hot and wanted to cool down. Why couldn't the family go back to their hotel and go the pool? Or go into the cool A/C and grab some water?
Thank god Disney's Cast members stepped right into action before it was too late!

IMFearless

Having spent a lifetime working with children and adults with Autism I can completely see how this could happen. Even with the most experienced staff an individual can act quickly in a way that is very hard to predict.

Most fences would need to be fairly extreme to prevent this type of individual from getting to the water. Many severely autistic children are extremely agile at climbing, with great speed, and no sense of danger.

Appropriate high levels of supervision with a good knowledge of the person is the only mechanism to maintain a person's safety and avoid incidents such as this. The environment can not really be adapted enough to make it safe in most situations.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm not really sure why this was "reported" as this isn't the first time someone has gone swimming in a non-swimming area. Of course, that was before social media and cell phones, where people report all of the minutia of their days. I guess if something isn't recorded and shared, it didn't really happen?

JIMINYCR

Well you never know what a child will do in the blink of an eye. Even the most watchful parent can have their child dart away in a second and they have no chance of stopping them. Go to the pool.... get into a/c...grab water...???? Even though the child was hot, the parents couldnt have known their child was going to jump into the water. Kids are unpredictable, autism or not. Thankfully there wasnt a creature lurking in the water when he went in and another tragedy happen.

Cmdr_Crimson

ICYMI, over on Facebook this interesting story happened at Epcot today. A boy with autism slipped away from his parents jumped into the water near the Imagination Pavilion. CMs were able to coax him out and he was fine.
21743300_10159454409810145_102660617673049863_n.jpg

Before you guys go on jabbering about, I'd like to say that this boy had autism and it was revealed that the boy was hot and wanted to cool down. Why couldn't the family go back to their hotel and go the pool? Or go into the cool A/C and grab some water?
Thank god Disney's Cast members stepped right into action before it was too late!
Video on youtube popped up..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom