Hurricane Irma

The Mom

Premium Member
I think all Orlando units are required to have hurricane insurance. I wouldn't anticipate they would board up windows. But my bed is next to my window. Im moving my bed to closet side. My living room is mostly glass windows and it facdsa huge lake. Im scared about that

Unfortunately, their insurance will not cover any damage to your personal property.

21stamps

@Master Yoda This article is only about Miami, but Ft Laud, Boca and Palm Beach/ WPB are the same. It's so crazy that everyone believes they are safe. We were all told that we were, from newspapers to our buildings themselves.. and most of us were safe. But it's misleading and people get a false sense of security even when they should evacuate.

http://www.miami.com/miami-news/should-you-ride-out-a-hurricane-in-a-high-rise-170895/

Thousands of people who weren’t around for Hurricane Andrew — or didn’t live in a high-rise — now reside inside modern condo and apartment towers that meet some of the strictest building codes in the U.S., capable of withstanding winds up to 175 mph.

Most high-rise condos were built after Hurricane Andrew. The high-rise building boom didn’t begin until after 2000, and from 2002 to the present day, 42,890 condos have been built in Miami-Dade east of Interstate 95, according to Peter Zalewski, a principal with the real estate consultancy Cranespotters.com. Another 9,098 units are currently under construction.

But most of those new towers are located in coastal areas — Miami Beach, Coconut Grove, Brickell, Sunny Isles — and could be under evacuation order depending on hurricane-track and storm-surge forecasts. So even though you’d probably be safe inside your 35th-floor condo, you could be cut off from police and emergency services in case of flooding.

Last edited:

psherman42

I think all Orlando units are required to have hurricane insurance. I wouldn't anticipate they would board up windows. But my bed is next to my window. Im moving my bed to closet side. My living room is mostly glass windows and it facdsa huge lake. Im scared about that
We're required to have renter's insurance, but it's a separate deductible for hurricane damage. I have $15,000 in personal property coverage but I'm not sure it would apply to hurricanes. #insuranceidiot I'm still really, really worried. Depending on how this looks tomorrow afternoon/Thursday morning, I may be asking them about it, because not boarding up windows just doesn't seem safe at all. Especially for a storm like this. And the letter also says not to put tape on them so I'm sure we're not allowed to do anything ourselves.

DocMcHulk

Latest models have it going further east. But South Florida and the coast line is still very much in play.
DJAaqT8XUAMt_0S.jpg

21stamps

They must be picking up on the Bermuda high weakening and the front coming from the north.

I just read this with the update-
So crazy.

The Hurricane Center reported Irma is only the fifth Atlantic basin hurricane with a peak wind speed of 185 mph or higher. The others are Allen (1980), the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, Gilbert (1988), and Wilma (2005).

ChanceH

Please everyone in Florida be safe. I'm directly between Houston and Beaumont and we still can't get gas or food hardly. Y'all stock up and stock up good down there. Water, food and lots and lots of gas. Gas shortage here are rampant throughout whole state due to flooding and plants shut down. Hope that doesn't happen to y'all. Be safe everyone I'll see y'all next month at the World.

21stamps

Please everyone in Florida be safe. I'm directly between Houston and Beaumont and we still can't get gas or food hardly. Y'all stock up and stock up good down there. Water, food and lots and lots of gas. Gas shortage here are rampant throughout whole state due to flooding and plants shut down. Hope that doesn't happen to y'all. Be safe everyone I'll see y'all next month at the World.
Sending good thoughts your way!

DisAl

Whatever you do, DON'T BE A RUBBERNECKER after the storm passes!!! :mad::mad::mad:
People who "just have to see it" put first responders and utility crews in even more danger than they are already facing. I had crew personnel almost run over by blooming idiots who were so busy looking at the damage that they were paying no attention to the people trying to get critical services restored. Not to mention it took much longer to get power restored because of the fools clogging the streets.
I am retired now so I won't be part of any more storm teams but my prayers go out for both the people in the affected areas and those who come in to help them recover.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The laminated impact glass works quite well, but the bill to replace them after they have been hit will make you wish your house blew away.

One of the best solutions I saw was the use of motorized metal roll up shutters. The total cost was nearly double that of impact glass, but all the homeowner had to do was turn a key and every window and door would be covered. Not only did it work great for storms, but it made the house a fortress when they left for any length of time.

It's what we use at the ocean up here in the mid Atlantic because it also gives another barrier to wind driven water. Wind driven water can beat many window designs/installs. The shutter system isn't 100% waterproof itself but provides the barrier that makes a huge difference... and of course debris protection... but that is less of a need the higher up you are

kpilcher

Yes. And the advice should be: stay away. Very simple. People are putting their vacations above the lives of residents and, frankly, that isn't cool. '
Amen. Irma is a monster. People forget too easily that a 2-4 mile wobble of the eye kept Matthew from munching through Central Florida last October. The hurricane hunter team I interviewed says Matthew really was as dangerous as the warnings said. It was not over-hyped. We just got EXTREMELY lucky. And Irma is MUCH MUCH bigger. While I pray we will get lucky again, I believe I will very likely be sleeping at the station by Saturday evening, manning our coverage of the storm.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
So I'm here in Disney at the moment. Worried about the storm, we leave Saturday 9am to go back to Philly. As you would expect it's business as usual at the moment. Talked a little to staff today and a girl we know in the College Program. The resident staff seemed concerned but said that we should be fine for our flight out unless something changes. They seemed concerned about it but mostly seemed stressed. The CP friend of ours basicly said the rumor mill is crazy and you would think the world was ending. She did say however that Disney is working on the emergency plans enertainment should the parks close, suspension of the buses, how they are going to feed everyone ect.

We are at CBR so on the off chance we have to ride this thing out we are well prepared to eat in a FEMA Tent... bad CBR joke. In all seriousness the resort is beautiful and if it was not for the food tent and missing amenities you would never know the resort was ripped apart. Atleast not from Trinidad North where we are. Anyway I will try and post anything relevant to storm prep or what I hear regarding the storm. Just hope we get out before it gets bad and pray it's not as bad as they say it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom