News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

No Name

On RnRC... it's been one year to the day since Disney added a CGI finger to Steven Tyler.

In case you missed the news, after 17 years of operation, Disney realized that Steven Tyler gave an obscene gesture known as the "shocker" during the preshow video. You can look up what it means. Here's a picture before they added the finger:
image.jpeg

It's so obvious too, a random hand movement in plain sight during the "climax" of the preshow. In all of my years riding it, I thought it was odd but never looked into it, assuming it was just a "rock on!" kind of thing. Assuming that it couldn't possibly be anything bad. I always find stories like this amusing.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

On RnRC... it's been one year to the day since Disney added a CGI finger to Steven Tyler.

In case you missed the news, after 17 years of operation, Disney realized that Steven Tyler gave an obscene gesture known as the "shocker" during the preshow video. You can look up what it means. Here's a picture before they added the finger:
View attachment 223788

It's so obvious too, a random hand movement in plain sight during the "climax" of the preshow. In all of my years riding it, I thought it was odd but never looked into it, assuming it was just a "rock on!" kind of thing. Assuming that it couldn't possibly be anything bad. I always find stories like this amusing.
Hilarious. I wonder how many people knew what it meant prior to the digital finger?

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

View attachment 223788

And in typical clumsy Disney fashion by censoring it they brought much, much more attention to it than if it was left in there.

D

Deleted member 107043

Hilarious. That's what they get for trying to be "hip" and "edgy" at their parks. :rolleyes: Disney's feeble and embarrassing attempts to emulate Universal's barebones raucous brand backfired spectacularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

TROR

Personally, I'm still doubtful Pixar Pier is happening. However, if it does, how big of a bomb will it be? There's absolutely no buzz around it from what I've seen. Unlike Mission Breakout, it's not controversial so much as "Who cares? That seems pointless and dumb." I'm sure there'll be an initial couple of days to come see it when it "opens" but a repainted and renamed California Screamin' with a new soundtrack? A new face on the Fun Wheel? A show transplanted from somewhere else in the park? Who cares about any of this? Mission Breakout is a terrible attraction and a pathetic attempt by Disney but at least people are excited about Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy. No one is excited about Pixar anymore. Just look at Cars 3 or The Good Dinosaur. Sure, Finding Dory did great financially, but who it was an incredibly film. The only two good Pixar movies of this decade are Toy Story 3 and Inside Out. The rest have all fallen short of what the studio once was in the late 90's and 2000's. I don't see any hype for this and I think if it ends up happening Disney will see a huge loss in revenue or just barely break even like they did with Mission Breakout.

dweezil78

However, if it does, how big of a bomb will it be?

I honestly don't think there's any kind of grandiose expectations that the Pixarification of the pier will bring in any kind of significant business. It's simply a way for them to get funding approved for the remaining improvements needed for the area. To me, it's about on the same level as the Garden Grill. A nice classing up of the space from what it formerly was, but nothing they're going to create an advertising campaign around.

Of course it's all speculation at this point, they told us next to nothing at the D23 Expo.

No Name

Do we know what they are doing about the hotel?

Hilarious. That's what they get for trying to be "hip" and "edgy" at their parks. :rolleyes: Disney's feeble and embarrassing attempts to emulate with Universal's barebones raucous brand backfired spectacularly.
How did it "backfire spectacularly"? Your personal tastes aside, it's one of the highest-rated Disney attractions in the US. If anything, it's inspired them to build a hip and edgy Guardians rollercoaster in Epcot.

TROR

I honestly don't think there's any kind of grandiose expectations that the Pixarification of the pier will bring in any kind of significant business. It's simply a way for them to get funding approved for the remaining improvements needed for the area. To me, it's about on the same level as the Garden Grill. A nice classing up of the space from what it formerly was, but nothing they're going to create an advertising campaign around.

Of course it's all speculation at this point, they told us next to nothing at the D23 Expo.
Well they are doing the whole "Pixar Fest" and, if the Dash coaster comes true, then it's set to line up with The Incredibles 2 for the same kind of synergy we saw with Mission Breakout and GotG Vol. 2 so I think there's definitely some sort of marketing campaign planned.

Curious Constance

I like most Pixar movies, even love some of them. I feel fondness for quite a few of the characters. Have a lot of nostalgia for Buzz and Woody especially because when my son was basically a baby, he loved them with all of his heart. So why does Pixar Fest and Pixar Pier sit so uneasily with me?

vancee

Personally, I'm still doubtful Pixar Pier is happening. However, if it does, how big of a bomb will it be? There's absolutely no buzz around it from what I've seen. Unlike Mission Breakout, it's not controversial so much as "Who cares? That seems pointless and dumb." I'm sure there'll be an initial couple of days to come see it when it "opens" but a repainted and renamed California Screamin' with a new soundtrack? A new face on the Fun Wheel? A show transplanted from somewhere else in the park? Who cares about any of this? Mission Breakout is a terrible attraction and a pathetic attempt by Disney but at least people are excited about Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy. No one is excited about Pixar anymore. Just look at Cars 3 or The Good Dinosaur. Sure, Finding Dory did great financially, but who it was an incredibly film. The only two good Pixar movies of this decade are Toy Story 3 and Inside Out. The rest have all fallen short of what the studio once was in the late 90's and 2000's. I don't see any hype for this and I think if it ends up happening Disney will see a huge loss in revenue or just barely break even like they did with Mission Breakout.
Sorry, but Pixar Pier is coming. They already have artwork and was announced at d23. It's coming for sure.

TROR

Sorry, but Pixar Pier is coming. They already have artwork and was announced at d23. It's coming for sure.

That artwork was nothing but a toned down Toy Story Midway Mania in Tokyo Disney Sea exterior with different signage. Perhaps I'd be more believing that it'll happen if they announced some actual details and more than one piece of concept art that lacks any originality. It certainly wouldn't be the first time Disney announced something only for it to not come true. Or, at the very least, the budget to be drastically reduced.

I like most Pixar movies, even love some of them. I feel fondness for quite a few of the characters. Have a lot of nostalgia for Buzz and Woody especially because when my son was basically a baby, he loved them with all of his heart. So why does Pixar Fest and Pixar Pier sit so uneasily with me?

I love fried chicken. I love ice cream. I do not love fried chicken ice cream.

D

Deleted member 107043

There's always some kind of marketing campaign planned, right?
Regardless of whatever opinion I have on Pixar Pier, I hope they decide to put dye back into the lagoon during the midst of the retheme. It was always such a clean look for Paradise Bay pre WOC.

And turn the wave machine back on.

FigmentForver96

That artwork was nothing but a toned down Toy Story Midway Mania in Tokyo Disney Sea exterior with different signage. Perhaps I'd be more believing that it'll happen if they announced some actual details and more than one piece of concept art that lacks any originality. It certainly wouldn't be the first time Disney announced something only for it to not come true. Or, at the very least, the budget to be drastically reduced..
This was the only major announcement for Disneyland during D23. Marvel was briefly mentioned but this was the meat of what they are expected to get. They still need synergy in all aspects of the park and throwing overlays on rides will be a cheap way to celebrate "new" product. It will happen

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom