News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Smiley/OCD

I don't know why people are so obsessed with the clone thing. How many of the millions of WDW patrons will ever go to another Disney park, I would guess a small percentage. Disney parks wouldn't have Pirates, Splash, Big Thunder, Indy, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, TOT, etc etc etc. I personally think WDW should have every ride from all the parks so you could see them all together. Maybe one or two "featured attractions" like the subs at DL that would be exclusive to their individual locations.
I can't wait for all the negative threads from the SDL people when it's announced that Pandora is being built there...

No Name

I don't think SDL was designed as a "draw" for Americans to travel over there...MAYBE there's a few thousand (and judging by these threads, most of them are on here), who have the $$$ to travel over there (or would want to). For the MILLIONS of park guests who will NEVER travel to SDL, it's not a clone...it's the only Tron coaster we will ever be on...so lighten up, and don't be such a bellyacher. And NO, even if you paid for my trip, I STILL wouldn't go, so I guess I can speak for the "majority", and say we look forward to the NEW Tron attraction.

Okay, alright fellas, I see I'm being grilled for that. It's just a personal thing for me, and I totally understand that the vast majority people will never visit more than one Disney resort in their lifetimes nor have any desire to. Oh, and I'd go on just about any vacation if someone was paying for me. :)

I can't wait for all the negative threads from the SDL people when it's announced that Pandora is being built there...

I say with confidence that Pandora will never be built in Shanghai. What makes you think it will?

Smiley/OCD

Okay, alright fellas, I see I'm being grilled for that. It's just a personal thing for me, and I totally understand that the vast majority people will never visit more than one Disney resort in their lifetimes nor have any desire to. Oh, and I'd go on just about any vacation if someone was paying for me. :)

I say with confidence that Pandora will never be built in Shanghai. What makes you think it will?
I'm just sayin' that all the negative comments about "cloned" attractions from one park to another, I was just wondering if the Chinese guests would be as upset as the WDW people if Pandora was cloned from WDW and built there...

No Name

I'm just sayin' that all the negative comments about "cloned" attractions from one park to another, I was just wondering if the Chinese guests would be as upset as the WDW people if Pandora was cloned from WDW and built there...

Oh I see... well of course not, since they don't have decades and generations of history with the parks, and the park hasn't created any fans like we have on here. So I see your point.

Magic Feather

So, I don't know about anyone else, but the orientation of TRON concerns me. If you look at a map of SDL's, we Weill be entering from around where their entrance to launch bay is, up some stairs/ ramps, and under the track, and over the railroad. My thought is that, in Shanghai, the kinetics work so well, because it is oriented horizontally, across the horizon, giving off sweeping views of the coaster and the canopy, whereas in MK, if will be oriented more narrowly, making it be "there", as opposed to the backdrop.

Also, some modifications are going to be made to the queue for WDW. Nothing major, just... Decluttering, and organizing.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I am a bit surprised that the TRON coaster is more popular in Shanghai than the Pirates ride which is absolutely amazing

Maeryk

So, I don't know about anyone else, but the orientation of TRON concerns me. If you look at a map of SDL's, we Weill be entering from around where their entrance to launch bay is, up some stairs/ ramps, and under the track, and over the railroad. My thought is that, in Shanghai, the kinetics work so well, because it is oriented horizontally, across the horizon, giving off sweeping views of the coaster and the canopy, whereas in MK, if will be oriented more narrowly, making it be "there", as opposed to the backdrop.

Also, some modifications are going to be made to the queue for WDW. Nothing major, just... Decluttering, and organizing.
Someone mentioned it's a concept piece.. tge canopy can be changed to fit better.

doctornick

The orientation illustrated for MK does seem to not allow as much of the "wow" factor of having the canopy and ride vehicles zipping by right there along the guest paths. The kinetics seem like they will be more off in the distance. I'd rather see them close the Speedway and redo it and build Tron at the same time to allow the Tron vehicles to actually cross over the Speedway path and thus have those rides "interact" more than just be next to each other.

phillip9698

I am a bit surprised that the TRON coaster is more popular in Shanghai than the Pirates ride which is absolutely amazing

There is a disconnect concerning what huge Disney enthusiasts believe makes an amazing RIDE and what the general public is clamoring for in 2017. Is the ride system and tech on display with Shanghai pirates amazing, yes. Does that tech mean what is essentially a boat ride will automatically garner more praise than a thrilling coaster, no. Here we tend to get down in the weeds when it comes to rides by analyzing a ride system, the queue, and how cutting edge the technology on display is when buy and large the general public really doesn't care HOW the ride works they just want a good fun ride. Gringotts in Universal may have an interesting ride system but the ride itself just isn't fun.

One of the most popular rides at WDW is just a moving light gun game projected on cheap screens (TSMM). This board really has a problem with that ride because of how "cheap" it is yet its loved by most guests young and old.

I like a well done dark ride and they definitely have their place in the parks, it's just that for a lot of people when you exit the ride they leave you with a feeling that you just watched a really good movie. A thrill ride like Tower of Terror or even Splash Mountain give you a sense of story like a dark ride does and with that they give you a physically exciting ride that gets your blood moving. Your memory of the ride is tied to a physical response you had to it which tends to last a bit longer with you. I don't remember how I felt after I rode GMR for the first time on the other hand I will never forget how I felt after I rode ToT the first time.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

Um, space??? Most of the coasters you're referring to have MUCH bigger footprints that space currently allows at WDW without adding a LARGE expansion. As far as ride time goes, Kingda Ka here in NJ is listed as 50 seconds, start to finish, but that includes leaving the station to the launch point. The AL ride time is 28 seconds...

The original plans for 7DMT had a MUCH longer track with 2 extra show scenes, and it fit in the exact same footprint.

There's a huge empty lot behind Pandora, where the third ride and the original full-lenght NRJ would have gone.

Space is not the issue. This is not Disneyland

celluloid

Does anyone know the actual theme/set up concept for the ride. What is the guest's role in the Shanghai version? It comes off as just, "well here you go"

MagicHappens1971

So from the concept art, the canopy serves as a way to hide the show building, but the train tracks also appear to sort of run under the canopy? I've read most of this thread and can't recall how the train tracks will be repositioned. Can anyone speak to that?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So from the concept art, the canopy serves as a way to hide the show building, but the train tracks also appear to sort of run under the canopy? I've read most of this thread and can't recall how the train tracks will be repositioned. Can anyone speak to that?

Insiders have said don't rely on the concept art for how the train or Speedway interconnects with TRON. The final solutions are unknown to (almost all of) us.

jt04

My guess is they will hide the train from view of Tron guests but the Tron canopy will be quite visible from the train.
Which will be cool.

EricsBiscuit

It isn't.

It's 3rd or 4th depending how you count.
When I went there I was so surprised by that! The RR and Soarin' rides were the most popular. Then pirates had lots of people but those boats are like barges, thus the ride has a huge capacity. I found that when I ran out of things to do (we walk quick lol), I could always sneak onto Tron either by single rider or stand bye.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom