News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

tirian

I care less about seeing show buildings outside a park than inside. If you're on a road or in a parking lot, the theming hasn't started.
If you're staying at the Contemporary, the Tomorrowland sightlines matter.

That said, I think this location is perfect. It has always felt like an unused expansion pad in the MK, perhaps the only place that almost feels like a service road in a local amusement park.

The_Jobu

That said, I think this location is perfect. It has always felt like an unused expansion pad in the MK, perhaps the only place that almost feels like a service road in a local amusement park.

We should be happy. There was probably some guy in the boardroom who said "that space mountain thing has been there for ages, let's just build over that".

Casper Gutman

They're already building Star Wars. And Marvel. And Pixar (Ratatouille). and WDAS (Mickey)

You want MORE Star Wars and Marvel instead of something that has zero presence in the parks? How about some variety?

Choosing a movie that didn't make them the biggest ammount of money? It's almost like doing a ride for Song of the South!

Again, this isn't simply a less popular IP. It's one that almost killed Disney.

Song of the South is an odd choice for... other reasons, but it was a success and produced a hit song. Besides, it belongs to the larger "Disney Animation" IP.

At the moment, Marvel has almost zero representation in the parks. And both Marvel and Star Wars are among the top IPs in the world, with only Potter contending with them - and not that closely. Each could support a full park (we all know the problems with Marvel in Orlando, but they do have access to some of the properties.)

And then there's Indy, which I'd really love to see better represented.

What I'd LIKE to see is a bunch of originals with a few IPs sprinkled in, but that ain't happening.

As to variety, that's not a great point in Tron's favor. It's going next to a very similar ride while another similar ride is being added to EPCOT.

PS: Eh, you know what. This was never a major complaint, just a goofy nitpick that I found amusing. I don't have a problem with the use of the IP, its just funny in context. My real complaints about the ride pertain to its redundancy.

tirian

Song of the South is an odd choice for... other reasons, but it was a success and produced a hit song. Besides, it belongs to the larger "Disney Animation" IP.

At the moment, Marvel has almost zero representation in the parks. And both Marvel and Star Wars are among the top IPs in the world, with only Potter contending with them - and not that closely. Each could support a full park (we all know the problems with Marvel in Orlando, but they do have access to some of the properties.)

What I'd LIKE to see is a bunch of originals with a few IPs sprinkled in, but that ain't happening.

As to variety, that's not a great point in Tron's favor. It's going next to a very similar ride while another similar ride is being added to EPCOT.

Did you see how Hollywood is spooked because Spidey Homecoming dropped 73% between Friday's #1 and #2? It's a good movie, but audiences are showing signs of superhero fatigue.

ToTBellHop

I get that, but honestly The Contemporary has offered an extremely expensive parking lot view for 45 years.

If they built Space Mountain today, would they theme the east side?

trainplane3

PS: Eh, you know what. This was never a major complaint, just a goofy nitpick that I found amusing. I don't have a problem with the use of the IP, its just funny in context. My real complaints about the ride pertain to its redundancy.
I see what you're getting at. I think we may be building up to a Tron reboot. Why? Make something pretty with enough action, it'll do meh in the US but sell like hotcakes in China. Look at Transformers. They're considered pretty bad movies in the US, but they're very well received overseas. Tron can be the "dumb" franchise they don't have to try hard to sell and still make $$$$, they have Marvel and Star Wars for that. And I'm saying that as a Tron fan.

Casper Gutman

I see what you're getting at. I think we may be building up to a Tron reboot. Why? Make something pretty with enough action, it'll do meh in the US but sell like hotcakes in China. Look at Transformers. They're considered pretty bad movies in the US, but they're very well received overseas. Tron can be the "dumb" franchise they don't have to try hard to sell and still make $$$$, they have Marvel and Star Wars for that. And I'm saying that as a Tron fan.

There's a lot of validity to this. I don't know that they'd relaunch, I suspect they might just make a third film or a "soft reboot."

My only trepidation with this is that the Chinese market is looking less strong then it once did.

trainplane3

There's a lot of validity to this. I don't know that they'd relaunch, I suspect they might just make a third film or a "soft reboot."

My only trepidation with this is that the Chinese market is looking less strong then it once did.
I think they may want a soft reboot too. So newcomers won't be lost but still keep the old fans happy. Then again, Tron isn't a complicated film series at all and is straight forward. Sucked into computer -> Competes in games -> Beats super computer boss man -> Escapes.

That's true. I have a feeling that while the Chinese market might slip in other areas, the movie side of it should still be pretty strong. Then again, I'm not a economist and have no desire to be one.

solidyne

Tron is such a weird franchise to push. The first film was a bomb that played a key role in bringing Disney to the edge of obliteration in a hostile takeover and got the management team that greenlit it pushed out. The sequel three decades later was ALSO a bomb that halted a planned franchise in its tracks.

It's like building an attraction based on Heaven's Gate.

Disney has the most valuable stock of IPs in the world and they are pushing TRON. You know what you push instead of Tron? Anything Marvel you can use on this side of the Mississippi. Or more Star Wars. Or Indiana Jones. Or an animated film. Or an original IP. Or anything, really.
But sometimes attractions can just be cool without having to push a movie (whether bomb or smash). I like the idea that it is tied to something they're not necessarily pushing. It feels (slightly) less forced.

Edit: Sorry. Replied without reading subsequent posts.

Casper Gutman

But sometimes attractions can just be cool without having to push a movie (whether bomb or smash). I like the idea that it is tied to something they're not necessarily pushing. It feels (slightly) less forced.

I altered one of my earlier posts - this was just an amusing observation I started to defend as though it were a serious complaint. It's not. It's just a bit of funny context. I agree with you.

Now, back to harping endlessly about my real complaint, redundancy...

solidyne

I altered one of my earlier posts - this was just an amusing observation I started to defend as though it were a serious complaint. It's not. It's just a bit of funny context. I agree with you.

Now, back to harping endlessly about my real complaint, redundancy...
I had to edit, too, as I hadn't read the subsequent replies. I hear ya!

seabreezept813

Spidey fell 62% in its second weekend, which is standard for superhero flicks. It's first weekend blew past all expectations by tens of millions. Wonder Woman is holding better than any superhero film since Raimi's Spider-Man 2, and it, Spidey. and Guardians 2 are the only pure franchise hits of the summer so far. And Logan was a huge hit earlier in the year.

With the diminished returns of Pirates, Cars, Mummy, Transformers, Despicable Me, etc., audiences seem to be becoming fatigued by every franchise EXCEPT superheroes, and THAT'S what has every studio except Disney and WB (and Sony, but they'll get back to it shortly) panicking. And folks have been predicting "superhero fatigue" for a decade now. It will come, but there are really no signs its here.

Maybe it's a sequels/money thing. My fam loves Pirates, Cars, Despicable Me, etc. but we've seen them. Time for something new if we're going to shell out serious money for a trip to the theater. A new TRON movie might actually catch our attention because we've never seen the others.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Pffft. TRON as a project was trouble because they didn't know if they'd finish it before the patience ran out. It wasn't putting the company at risk. The studios had ran themselves into the ground the years prior. Disney only funded and distributed tron and wasn't a liability with its gross. It was done almost entirely without Disney people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom