News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

When I watched the video online, my initial reaction was disappointment for how short it was. However, after riding it twice, I believe it's the perfect length due to the intensity and thrill of the ride. My adrenaline was pretty high from start to finish. Plus, the g-forces it placed on my neck was enough for me to not want it to be longer than it is. Oh another thing, it was more comfortable on my neck to look down than to look forward but then you miss out on all the dark ride elements.

People can't seem to grasp the fact that coasters are short thrill rides. I understand wanting more, like with Mine Train (no reason besides budget cutting they couldn't add another show scene), but coasters are typically short. But let's keep criticizing the length ... unless there are slowdowns and show scenes, I don't want to be on a coaster for more than a minute or two (or less) but that's me. Do people really want 4-5 minute coaster rides?

Mike S

People can't seem to grasp the fact that coasters are short thrill rides. I understand wanting more, like with Mine Train (no reason besides budget cutting they couldn't add another show scene), but coasters are typically short. But let's keep criticizing the length ... unless there are slowdowns and show scenes, I don't want to be on a coaster for more than a minute or two (or less) but that's me. Do people really want 4-5 minute coaster rides?
For a pure coaster a minute or two is fine. For a coaster that tries to be a dark ride hybrid like SDMT it absolutely should be longer than that.

Kman101

For a pure coaster a minute or two is fine. For a coaster that tries to be a dark ride hybrid like SDMT it absolutely should be longer than that.

Oh I agree. Every time I ride Mine Train I'm next to someone who, likes it, but then says either "that's it?" or "it should be longer". And it should have been. And the night lighting is terrible.

For Guardians coaster I'm expecting a longer ride with slowdowns and show scenes. I better not see an elaborate pre-show and then a quick zip on a dark coaster and call it a day. It better be PHENOMENAL.

ssoass

Looking forward to this, I am planning on going to the Shanghai park in September as part of "Operation Go to all the Parks" .. and this will leave just Tokyo to go.

The Tron ride looks like a main highlight there, glad it is coming to WDW . I always liked TRON on the People Mover in D (RIP)L, this obviously seems much better

jrashadb

Any changes to Frontierland would have to come with a change of the train line or the river, like Disneyland, which I'm pretty sure WDW is not int right now. Those lands are just fine and are places where the parade, whichever they decide to put here, will go. Tomorrowland is where change had to come and it's where it will go. I can't believe anyone who doesn't understand that.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Also curious how Disney will explain Tron to the majority of people who don't have a clue what it is.
Perhaps the stand-by pre-show will consist of being forced to watch your choice of either Tron or Tron: Legacy. Either way, it'll eat about 500 people per movie for about 90 minutes, which will really help the FP holders zip on through the line.

lazyboy97o

LOL the nitpicking is hilarious. How do you know they won't solve seeing the building? And standing at ground level, CAN you? Seems like another case of looking for something to complain about when there's really nothing to complain about.
Why was it not addressed the first time? Between physical modeling and BIM, the issue (which is visible on the main approach into Tomorrowland from the south) would have been known.

matt9112

LOL the nitpicking is hilarious. How do you know they won't solve seeing the building? And standing at ground level, CAN you? Seems like another case of looking for something to complain about when there's really nothing to complain about.

did they solve seeing FOPs show building or is it still a massive structure that everyone sees unthemed as they approach the park?

Kman101

did they solve seeing FOPs show building or is it still a massive structure that everyone sees unthemed as they approach the park?

I didn't notice it. You can see the back of Everest too. Life goes on. These are minor quibbles. Poor show? Sure I'd like them covered but they don't ruin anything for me. It's not the end of the world seeing the top of Trons showbuilding and we don't know whether they will fix it or not for the MK. We're coming up with problems before the ride is even built. It just seems like a minor thing to complain about but I know it bothers some. I'm sure the theme police will lecture me on it ;) lol

Casper Gutman

Tron is such a weird franchise to push. The first film was a bomb that played a key role in bringing Disney to the edge of obliteration in a hostile takeover and got the management team that greenlit it pushed out. The sequel three decades later was ALSO a bomb that halted a planned franchise in its tracks.

It's like building an attraction based on Heaven's Gate.

Disney has the most valuable stock of IPs in the world and they are pushing TRON. You know what you push instead of Tron? Anything Marvel you can use on this side of the Mississippi. Or more Star Wars. Or Indiana Jones. Or an animated film. Or an original IP. Or anything, really.

UpAllNight

Comcast does seem to have it easy when it comes to fans attached to the past. Old USF IMO was the prettier park compared to DHS, but they've slowly but surely destroyed much of that in creating better overall attraction experiences.

Universal Studios is home to some of my favourite individual rides, but collectively, and thematically I find it the least enjoyable park in Orlando in its current state. It suffers the soundstage problem, but also a lack of immersion in the themed areas other than Diagon. When walking through New York I don't feel it for example. Saying that though, seeing the warehouse for Harry Potter doesn't ruin Hogwarts for me at all...but seeing the giant Soarin building from world showcase bothers me (and whilst we're at it, the Swan and Dolphin) If I can see Trons warehouse from other areas of the park, then we have issues.

Bairstow

Tron is such a weird franchise to push. The first film was a bomb that played a key role in bringing Disney to the edge of obliteration in a hostile takeover and got the management team that greenlit it pushed out. The sequel three decades later was ALSO a bomb that halted a planned franchise in its tracks.

Disney has the most valuable stock of IPs in the world and they are pushing TRON. You know what you push instead of Tron? Anything Marvel you can use on this side of the Mississippi. Or more Star Wars. Or Indiana Jones. Or an animated film. Or an original IP. Or anything, really.

Shhhhh! They might hear you!

Mike S

This. TL needs to be updated and I'm thrilled to see it get some love (not just the Tron coaster, but also updating the Speedway and hopefully replacing Stitch as well) but I'd also like to see some additional stuff put in Adventureland and/or Frontierland. Adventureland has the unused expansion pad that would be great for an E-ticket higher thrill level ride.

Meanwhile Frontierland should be expanded and could use a family dark ride to compliment the offerings in that area. Ideally, Frontierland should be looked at to eventually build all around the RoA and connect guest area on that side, as they are doing in DL with Star Wars.
A modern Western River Expedition would've been a great build for the 50th.
I didn't notice it. You can see the back of Everest too. Life goes on. These are minor quibbles. Poor show? Sure I'd like them covered but they don't ruin anything for me. It's not the end of the world seeing the top of Trons showbuilding and we don't know whether they will fix it or not for the MK. We're coming up with problems before the ride is even built. It just seems like a minor thing to complain about but I know it bothers some. I'm sure the theme police will lecture me on it ;) lol
So many showbuildings can be seen from Splash Mountain it's not even funny.

Song of the South isn't that big either and yet the ride based on it is extremely popular. Go figure.

Timothy_Q

They're already building Star Wars. And Marvel. And Pixar (Ratatouille). and WDAS (Mickey)

You want MORE Star Wars and Marvel instead of something that has zero presence in the parks? How about some variety?

Choosing a movie that didn't make them the biggest ammount of money? It's almost like doing a ride for Song of the South!

ToTBellHop

I care less about seeing show buildings outside a park than inside. If you're on a road or in a parking lot, the theming hasn't started.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Universal Studios is home to some of my favourite individual rides, but collectively, and thematically I find it the least enjoyable park in Orlando in its current state. It suffers the soundstage problem, but also a lack of immersion in the themed areas other than Diagon. When walking through New York I don't feel it for example. Saying that though, seeing the warehouse for Harry Potter doesn't ruin Hogwarts for me at all...but seeing the giant Soarin building from world showcase bothers me (and whilst we're at it, the Swan and Dolphin) If I can see Trons warehouse from other areas of the park, then you have issues.
Fixed that for you.;)

tirian

Universal Studios is home to some of my favourite individual rides, but collectively, and thematically I find it the least enjoyable park in Orlando in its current state. It suffers the soundstage problem, but also a lack of immersion in the themed areas other than Diagon. When walking through New York I don't feel it for example. Saying that though, seeing the warehouse for Harry Potter doesn't ruin Hogwarts for me at all...but seeing the giant Soarin building from world showcase bothers me (and whilst we're at it, the Swan and Dolphin) If I can see Trons warehouse from other areas of the park, then we have issues.
Much has been written about this in the past, and years ago, @wdwmagic and I discussed how part of Uni's problem is that the forced perspective is either oversized or actually true-to-life. The proportions destroy the suspension of disbelief by being too close to the real thing, yet obviously fake. It's an uncanny valley for theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom