Water cup change??

lazyboy97o

I actually don't think it's cost savings per say. I think some pencil pusher MBA type got it in their head that if they reduce the amount of free water, it'll encourage guests to BUY bottles instead. Therefore increasing the bottom line. Disney is a business dontcha know?
The shared reason was inventory control, so guest service takes a hit in order to try and deal with employee theft of soda.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I get it you view free water as a charity that is not a good business practice. I veiw it as good customer service. I know where I would rather spend my vacation dollars and one where I would mostly likely invest my investment dollars. A business that understands the basics of customer experience.

Replacing a kids ice cream cone who drops it is good customer service. But what if you found a significant portion of your customers were intentionally having their kids drop their ice cream cones after eating more than half of it to get more ice cream.. or people were using trash to get new items.... so they don't have to multiple ice cream pieces for their multiple children. Would you not consider how situation might be addressed to prevent customers from gaming your customer service policies to be part of sound business?

Customer Service is not blind... when retailers find individuals are gaming their policies like return policies... they will take action like tracking returns, issue only store credit, or block individuals with shadey patterns.

When people game other's good will... we all lose.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Once again this is not about arguing over an entitlement attitude(Disney owes me because I am special), this should be about accomodations from a "world class" resort.

Like the many world class locations that now warn you that taking the towels or robes from the rooms will result in a significant charge? Yes, because even places with high customer service and expectations have to deal with people gaming the liberties to the point that the liberties are often limited or impacted because people are selfish.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All strawman arguements aside(no I do not expect the resort to clothe me) and @flynnibus unlike a 7-11(not sure if you are being sarcastic in this thread)

We were talking counter service locations and a poster said EVERYWHERE does this. I gave multiple examples where they don't... and I used the 7-11 example mainly because I had witnessed it just the day or so prior. It's a simple example of a drink and food provider (who even serves hot food) that does NOT do this.

The way people support a claim is with supporting information.. and the way you debunk a claim is by disproving said information. It's not my fault people use crappy, broad, easily destroyed statements to support their claim.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I was at 7-11 type store today buying a soda. A fellow opens the front door, grabs a banana off the counter and leaves the store. I was aghast that he felt the store owed him food.

This is what is becoming of today's society.

Incomudro

Or simple courtesy from a company that is acclaimed for their customer service.

Once again this is not about arguing over an entitlement attitude(Disney owes me because I am special), this should be about accomodations from a "world class" resort.

It's not a world class resort because they're giving you a smaller cup of water?
Most people don't even know that they'll give you water at the food service areas.
On our last trip this past May, my wife continued buying bottles of water even after I told her she could ask for a cup.
I refilled my water bottle at the drinking fountains.
This whole thread is ridiculous.
I'm not kidding when I say the only legitimate argument complainers will have is if Disney shuts off the taps.
The only thread I read that was this ridiculous was the one where people complained they got splashed on PotC.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Complimentary tap/ice water is something that is provided at pretty much every restaurant in existence, for those who want it.

Expecting the same at WDW is not entitlement by any sense of the imagination.

Now, just how small are the child size cups? Do they represent an appropriate amount of water one might expect with a meal? My only objection to this issue would be if they provide far less water than one might reasonably expect.

Do Disney restaurants give us water when we ask for it?
Of course they do.
Expecting every quick service window to provide it as well is a different story.

kelknight84

We were talking counter service locations and a poster said EVERYWHERE does this. I gave multiple examples where they don't... and I used the 7-11 example mainly because I had witnessed it just the day or so prior. It's a simple example of a drink and food provider (who even serves hot food) that does NOT do this.

The way people support a claim is with supporting information.. and the way you debunk a claim is by disproving said information. It's not my fault people use crappy, broad, easily destroyed statements to support their claim.
I believe you are referring to my post that specifically said most and not all.

kelknight84

Everyone keeps attacking the complainers but I haven't seen really any. Just surprise that when water is requested they receive a tiny cup. Nothing about being entitled, nothing about how terrible it is. Just questions and comparisons to other theme parks and other businesses. The people that seem to have a issue is that Disney gives out water at all and are getting their panties in a wad.

Like I said earlier I order water because it's my preferred drink, and I order tap water because I like the taste better than bottled. I appreciate that it's offered and has been for so many years. I don't know where everyone is from but as a native Floridian water is so important to dealing with the heat. MOST businesses and people around here understand that and are very generous with it. Whenever I have work done on my house I always make sure to offer water or gatorade to the workers.

If Disney charged for it, I would still choose water. I'm not mad about a tiny cup, I don't feel entitled to a larger one. I just find it odd that MOST places I go have no problem giving a normal sized one.

Someone made a comment about cruises. Carnival offers a 12 pack of water for $2. You can get as many as you want and it's in your room when you embark. I find that pretty darn reasonable.

Wendy Pleakley

A person should drink 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day

A person should eat three meals a day.

Why is it that people expect Disney to provide them with free water but do not expect them to feed them for free?

It's standard to be provided with a cup of water, if requested, when eating at a restaurant (fast food included). Kind of like I expect to pay a tip on top of a meal - it's a standard expectation. I'm not required to tip. A server is not entitled to a tip. Not tipping would be very out of the ordinary.

If you have to ask why having a glass of water with a meal does not equate to being provided with free food, you're not going to understand any answer I could come up with.

unkadug

It's standard to be provided with a cup of water, if requested, when eating at a restaurant (fast food included). Kind of like I expect to pay a tip on top of a meal - it's a standard expectation. I'm not required to tip. A server is not entitled to a tip. Not tipping would be very out of the ordinary.

If you have to ask why having a glass of water with a meal does not equate to being provided with free food, you're not going to understand any answer I could come up with.
We are not talking about water with food... we are talking about people expecting Disney to provide them with refreshment water or whatever you want to call the water you should be drinking during the day NOT with meals.

Some people obviously feel that Disney owes them a large glass of water to replenish what they sweat out during the day. Water without food.

21stamps

Everyone keeps attacking the complainers but I haven't seen really any. Just surprise that when water is requested they receive a tiny cup. Nothing about being entitled, nothing about how terrible it is. Just questions and comparisons to other theme parks and other businesses. The people that seem to have a issue is that Disney gives out water at all and are getting their panties in a wad.

Like I said earlier I order water because it's my preferred drink, and I order tap water because I like the taste better than bottled. I appreciate that it's offered and has been for so many years. I don't know where everyone is from but as a native Floridian water is so important to dealing with the heat. MOST businesses and people around here understand that and are very generous with it. Whenever I have work done on my house I always make sure to offer water or gatorade to the workers.

If Disney charged for it, I would still choose water. I'm not mad about a tiny cup, I don't feel entitled to a larger one. I just find it odd that MOST places I go have no problem giving a normal sized one.

Someone made a comment about cruises. Carnival offers a 12 pack of water for $2. You can get as many as you want and it's in your room when you embark. I find that pretty darn reasonable.

I mentioned cruises. That's interesting about Carnival! I have never sailed with them, but that's a steal as far as bottled water goes, the Vista is even more attractive to me now!

What's interesting though, is that someone pointed out that Disney charges high prices, provides a premium experience, so they should be expected to provide the large free cups.

Norwegian, DCL, Royal Caribbean, Princess, etc.. All charge @ 5x more than that $2 for water.
The poster I quoted was making a point that said paying more should mean getting more for free. Obviously that point isn't proven with that Carnival example, as they are typically one of the Least Expensive lines to cruise. (With the exception of the Vista)

I wanted to quote @unkadug 's post. I'm also talking about using it throughout the day, when fountains are already provided, not with a meal.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's amazing how a Regular size cup of water has been morphed into a Large size.

It really doesn't matter if when the protagonist insists they are due the water regardless of size. No one has argued the minimum size locations are obligated to serve in these common customer service expectations. People are arguing they are artificially limited... not so much that the product is materially insufficient.

Goofyernmost

Actually, that turns out to be just a myth passed on through the generations. (And I used to believe it too).

Thanks, I have been arguing that point for ages now and no one has wanted to believe it. 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day would make me feel like I was drowning inside and I'm a big guy. Never have believed it and never will. Again it's a case of people not believing that their body knows and communicates when it needs something and the peeing every 20 minutes is an indication that you are taking in more water then your body can use. It's all in balance. As long as some water is going in the kidneys will be able to function quite fine. In the early parts of history people didn't have easy access to drinkable water, yet they were able to survive for many years on limited supplies. It wasn't dehydration that killed them it was either old age or illness (not water related).

unkadug

Thanks, I have been arguing that point for ages now and no one has wanted to believe it. 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day would make me feel like I was drowning inside and I'm a big guy. Never have believed it and never will. Again it's a case of people not believing that their body knows and communicates when it needs something and the peeing every 20 minutes is an indication that you are taking in more water then your body can use. It's all in balance. As long as some water is going in the kidneys will be able to function quite fine. In the early parts of history people didn't have easy access to drinkable water, yet they were able to survive for many years on limited supplies. It wasn't dehydration that killed them it was either old age or illness (not water related).
But back then, old age was 25. So perhaps there is some merit to drinking water after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom