Water cup change??

midnightsun

Original Poster
We've been at the resort for 4 days now and have discovered in the last year they've changed their cup of water policy apparently.

Every place, save one, we've asked for a cup of water we've received the child sized cup. Even after specifying a regular cup of water.

Today at Flame Tree, I asked the CM if there had been a change in the last year and she told us that for inventory reasons they use the child cups but a few places will still give normal size ones. She even told us about a bad situation recently in MK where they refused a guest a cup of water because they had run out of the smaller cups.

It's not that huge of a deal but it came as a surprise to me as it was nice to have that big cup of water with my meal.

Perhaps we're just hitting all the wrong places

mmnw

It can be bloody hot. I get it. Some people tend to need water more than others. I am one of them. I don't drink all the sweet stuff. I like my water. Interesting to learn.

Goofyernmost

If you need it that bad... buy some. There is no rule that states that they have an obligation to support your health without some compensation. Contrary to some unbelievable belief, water is not free to anyone that doesn't own a well and even then you have to pay for a pump and the electricity to pump it out of the ground. Why do you think that should be free. As it is, it is free, so I think you are coming out ahead in this deal. Someone had to pay, even for the small cups, you don't seem to want to acknowledge that.

DisAl

It would be a big help if their water fountains worked. In the MK if a fountain has more than one spout there is only enough water pressure to run one at the time. During a recent visit I several times had to convince people that the only way anybody was going to get any water was for us to do it one at the time.

matt9112

If you need it that bad... buy some. There is no rule that states that they have an obligation to support your health without some compensation. Contrary to some unbelievable belief, water is not free to anyone that doesn't own a well and even then you have to pay for a pump and the electricity to pump it out of the ground. Why do you think that should be free. As it is, it is free, so I think you are coming out ahead in this deal. Someone had to pay, even for the small cups, you don't seem to want to acknowledge that.

the insult of this post burns my eyes....pay over a 100 bucks a day and you feel free water is some grotesque inconvenience for disney? in an environment where people could die....your right they dont have to but any sane buisness would. its alot cheaper than lawsuits because you like seeing people drop dead. as an annual pass holder i scoff at buying water at those prices. i will have them fill me 4 cups of water if using a larger cup is such an issue. this will be grand when there are long lines.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

We've been at the resort for 4 days now and have discovered in the last year they've changed their cup of water policy apparently.

Every place, save one, we've asked for a cup of water we've received the child sized cup. Even after specifying a regular cup of water.

Today at Flame Tree, I asked the CM if there had been a change in the last year and she told us that for inventory reasons they use the child cups but a few places will still give normal size ones. She even told us about a bad situation recently in MK where they refused a guest a cup of water because they had run out of the smaller cups.

It's not that huge of a deal but it came as a surprise to me as it was nice to have that big cup of water with my meal.

Perhaps we're just hitting all the wrong places
A cm came up to a m&g line in yesterday's midday sun, urging everybody to stay hydrated, describing in some physical detail what happens to her if she doesn't, and informing us that at every place where they sell soda there are free cups of cooled water available for free.

If these cups are too small that defeats the object. Or at best increases f&b lines. Unless the idea is to make guests drink lots in small doses throughout the day.

Or to keep guests hydrated but not filled enough to refrain from buying soda. Could be two groups of management in competition - f&b worried about their numbers vs. medical worried about guest safety. Would be swell, Disney divisions at war with one another, one instructing the other to supply water, the other undermining that as much as they can get away with by following the order to the letter while trying to evade the policy.

Tony the Tigger

omg are they reducing the size of something already free? ;)

I guess just ask for a second cup after you finish the first.

I do the free water cups also, but every once in awhile I break down and buy a Dasani, they're reasonably priced for a theme park and I like having the cap on top lol.

dreamfinder

I thought it was always up to the location. I never got a full sized cup of water from Tangierine Cafe, it was always a small plastic water dispenser sized cup. And at other locations it varied. Some times it was small, other times it was a large.

DisAl

I'm really surprised they still offer free tap water, especially since water fountains are available throughout the park.
See my earlier note.... The water fountains in the MK are pitiful. Most of them only have enough water pressure to run one spout at the time regardless of how many are on the fountain. There are four spouts on the one right behind the castle but if people try to use more than one only a trickle of water comes out. We refill our water bottles from the fountains but it is a real challenge.

Goofyernmost

the insult of this post burns my eyes....pay over a 100 bucks a day and you feel free water is some grotesque inconvenience for disney? in an environment where people could die....your right they dont have to but any sane buisness would. its alot cheaper than lawsuits because you like seeing people drop dead. as an annual pass holder i scoff at buying wayer at those prices. i will have them fill me 4 cups of water if using a larger cup is such an issue. this will be grand when there are long lines.
They give you water, you just don't want it because "it tastes funny or it's warm" so let it burn your eyes. You expect to go to someones place and for them to give you something that costs them extra. Nowhere on your ticket does it say 'water included' and I don't care if you paid $1000.00 a ticket. That is not what you were paying for.

So what do they do... they give you water, but, now the cup isn't big enough. If it isn't big enough buy one that's bigger. They aren't in business just to give assets away whether you think they should or not. Take responsibility for yourself, your hydration is not Disney's responsibility. They don't ignore it, they just don't do enough according to some of you. You also tend to look at things as singular... I want a cup of water, that isn't asking too much. And then you fail to multiply that by the thousands and thousands of people that are there everyday. Even the cost for the person that handed you the cup was an expense that you decided was owed to you. You're wrong, it is not owed to you, it is given as a courtesy, you seem to want to make it into an entitlement. It is not. You might have noticed that they sell water. If their intent is to give it away, why do you suppose the bother to sell it?

Weather_Lady

This is not earth-shattering news (but that makes it no less valuable on a forum that regularly obsesses over minutia -- we do have entire threads devoted to the discussion of various restrooms, after all, so I don't think it's necessary to attack the OP -- it's not as though she was lodging a complaint of katiebug proportions; she's just saying she wished for a larger cup, and who doesn't like a nice big cuppa whatever) but it's good to know ahead of time. As someone who makes daily use of Disney's "free iced water" largesse, I'll know to adjust my "number of waters ordered" accordingly (or to double-check the size of the water cup on offer) if I'm feeling extra thirsty.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

I always bring my 2 water bottles and have never asked for free water. But every Disney planning site I've seen over the years includes advice about hydration and advises guests to feel free to walk up to counter service areas and ask for free cups of ice and water. This practice will be hard to change. And besides the water pressure lacking, the fountain water is usually luke warm. I'm sure some bean counter has counted the cost of this free cup giveaway and found a way to alter the practice of using costly bigger sized cups.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom