Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

GiveMeTheMusic

For the theme park side of the ledger, Disney doesn't seem to have gotten much for its money.
And they didn't need marvel just to have super heroes in its stable. SH are a dime a dozen, all it takes is a little imagination - and I thought Disney had that.

The Marvel acquisition was all about merch and movies (to sell more merch). The theme park side is just a bonus for the properties that can take advantage of them (to sell more merch). And what was Iger gonna do? Cry because he can't build an Iron Man ride in WDW? At this point in time, Iger firmly believed that WDW wouldn't need new attractions for years because of MyMagic+. His grand Fantasyland expansion as revealed in 2009 featured exactly one ride and three elaborate meet n greet experiences. Why? Because Fastpass+ would eliminate the need for new capacity for years to come. So not being able to build at WDW was not a concern at all.

As to the Marvel name, I'm sure that's a real bummer for them but it's not the end of the world. The films themselves carry incredible name recognition without slapping Marvel in front of them.

Back in 2005, WDI had major plans to add a huge Incredibles E ticket to DCA. It almost happened until it didn't. And now Cars Land sits on part of its earmarked site. That's as close to a homegrown superhero as Disney got, and at the time they didn't even own Pixar.

GrizzlyAdams

Third Gate... Isn't it more an infrastructure to support issue? No parking for customers, staff, maintenance possibly. Plus I don't know that they own all the land needed to build it properly, if you look at Google earth picture.

Rich T

this is wishful thinking, but i would really love to see The Twilight Zone implemented somewhere else in Hollywoodland. Maybe as part of a larger halloween event.
That would be fun, but--sadly--to most park-goers, Twilight Zone is about as much a draw as Mister Ed or Gunsmoke. And, really, there's no one character or theme associated with it besides Rod Serling himself. The only thing that could work would be a freaky, surreal walk-through combining visual elements from many key episo--- Holy crud, that'd be awesome!!!!

Phroobar

That would be fun, but--sadly--to most park-goers, Twilight Zone is about as much a draw as Mister Ed or Gunsmoke. And, really, there's no one character or theme associated with it besides Rod Serling himself. The only thing that could work would be a freaky, surreal walk-through combining visual elements from many key episo--- Holy crud, that'd be awesome!!!!
It would make a great haunted maze at Knotts or Universal Studios.

NobodyElse

Does anyone know how big the Toy Story parking lot is? I hunted around a bit on-line and can't find an answer.

The area including both guest and CM parking is currently roughly over 68 acres. If Disney owns or plans to acquire any or all of the six surrounding apartment complexes, (and the little dirt area I didn't include) that number grows substantially.

upload_2016-7-27_8-0-47.png

NobodyElse

Back in the "thirdthemepark" speculation days, one of the thoughts was to make it a "boutique" park of some sort (which I take to mean smaller and more expensive but with a higher level of service/detail/etc.). Who knows.

Last edited:

Stevek

No, thanks. I'd rather see something that hasn't been done before, and also just as innovative.
In a perfect world, yes, though I absolutely love Epcot and would kill for a new updated and innovative version here. I just wonder what Disney has left to do since they've already done the movie, animal and water based parks as well. Do they dare go head to head with Great Wolf lodge on a water park? It would probably do very well but no thanks.

How about this...Disney Kingdoms Park....Gives you the best rides and attractions (subjective of course) from around the worldwide Disney parks that aren't already in CA. Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Manor, Tron Coaster, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, 7 Dwarfs, WDW's Toy Story Land, Sinbad, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20K leagues. I'm kidding, kinda, but I'd be there in a heartbeat to visit this thematic mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom