Annual Passes

Brad Bishop

The renewal rate is getting higher and higher though. Many AP members chose not to renew due to all of the construction going on and the increase isn't worth paying for an entire year of limited offerings. This could be a reason why some AP members are just leaving.

Now, it's been stated on the boards that Disney is trying to scale down their number of APs (and AP events) but they still want all of their money. One of the reasons they allow guests to pay on a monthly basis is because the cost is extremely high (also most parks in FL offer a month-to-month payment option).

The AP's have been the backbone of their guests for decades. Now that they are offering deals to get more outside visitors into the parks & resorts, the AP's are being pushed aside. Just an observation.

I most likely won't renew my annual pass. To me the value is being lost. A few years back going to Disney was pretty fun. Now, much like you've stated above, I think the value is lost:
1) It's more expensive than it used to be - which is just how things are
2) They haven't been very good stewards of their parks, yet they demand more and more each year. (re: Epcot, DHS, AK, and even MK to some extent (Tomorrowland).
3) It's too crowded, just about all the time. I really don't mind crowds on July 4th or New Years. I completely get those. On an odd Fall or Winter day it should be fairly light but it no longer is. This is great for them (by all means, raise prices if people are lining up at your gates) but not so great for me. I don't enjoy it.
4) It sort of feels like they've had the attitude of, "The customers will pay it because we're Disney!" I know, it's just a feeling and proves nothing but it's the attitude that comes across to me.

I look over to Universal and I see them really trying to do amazing things with Harry Potter and Kong. I look back at Disney with the New Fantasyland expansion and I'm wow'd by Universal and just ho-hum about New Fantasyland. Universal is tugging at my wallet. Disney seems to be taking their guests for granted.

raven

I think that they get people to freely exchange their money for the services and products provided by Disney.

The only entity that really screws people of their money is government. They put a gun to your head and demand payment. You have no choice. For me, when I add up all the taxes and fees, they get close to 40% of my pay. Disney, nor any other private entity, has ever screwed me out of that much.

I don't want to start a political discussion on this. I just see these sorts of, "Oh, they're out to screw you out of money!!!," kinds of posts and I immediately think two things:
1) Don't go. Don't buy their product. You don't have to have their product.
2) How can you ignore the elephant in the room (government) who takes FAR more of your pay, wastes it on nonsense, and tells you you're not giving them enough?
That's exactly why I don't go anymore. It's literally right down the road from me but I avoid the property like it's the plague. ;)
The problem is that Disney has built up their own high expectations from guests and if they do not deliver a quality product for their money, people will complain. It's not a Disney thing, it's a human thing.

As far as government goes, one civilian isn't going to change it. Everyone has to unite together and vote.

raven

I most likely won't renew my annual pass. To me the value is being lost. A few years back going to Disney was pretty fun. Now, much like you've stated above, I think the value is lost:
1) It's more expensive than it used to be - which is just how things are
2) They haven't been very good stewards of their parks, yet they demand more and more each year. (re: Epcot, DHS, AK, and even MK to some extent (Tomorrowland).
3) It's too crowded, just about all the time. I really don't mind crowds on July 4th or New Years. I completely get those. On an odd Fall or Winter day it should be fairly light but it no longer is. This is great for them (by all means, raise prices if people are lining up at your gates) but not so great for me. I don't enjoy it.
4) It sort of feels like they've had the attitude of, "The customers will pay it because we're Disney!" I know, it's just a feeling and proves nothing but it's the attitude that comes across to me.

I look over to Universal and I see them really trying to do amazing things with Harry Potter and Kong. I look back at Disney with the New Fantasyland expansion and I'm wow'd by Universal and just ho-hum about New Fantasyland. Universal is tugging at my wallet. Disney seems to be taking their guests for granted.

I totally agree.

My roommates when to MK on Sunday and it was blocked out for CM's MainGate Pass for some odd reason. SuperBowl? No. Special Event? No. Marathon Weekend? No. They said the park crowds were very thin and couldn't understand why it would've been blocked out. So there's another perk for CM's that keeps getting more complicated.

I understand they are in the business of promoting their parks to keep crowds coming. But I've stated again and again that they are running out of space where guests can roam. Building more resorts and adding more beds and filling them up is one thing. But all of those added guests are going to be going to the same 4 parks. This is why it gets so crowded and unbearable.

Miceberg

My roommates when to MK on Sunday and it was blocked out for CM's MainGate Pass for some odd reason. SuperBowl? No. Special Event? No. Marathon Weekend? No. They said the park crowds were very thin and couldn't understand why it would've been blocked out. So there's another perk for CM's that keeps getting more complicated

Yet, CM's at Disneyland/DCA were able to sign in their guests on Sunday even though attendance was fairly high.:confused:

ULPO46

While we are on the subject, which passes would you recommend to buy? I've been eyeing on the Disney Plus pass but have been iffy about it. I'm looking forward to moving from SoCal back to Florida. I get some employee discounts but i'd like to just buy the better pass. I've also thought about Universal and SEAS, but, I just don't get the same feeling as when i'd visit WDW. I agree with Raven, there isn't enough enthusiasm in Imagineering anymore to realize what must be done. After all budgets get approved by the board, they don't believe it's cost effective to add more walking spaces. And contrary to belief there are very very few five diamond dinners amongst imagineers. Execs in Burbank do that for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Our corporate cards don't have enough juice in them to afford a 100 dollar filet. Not to mention filing for expenses is absolute Hell.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I think it's awful that they'd prevent you from getting another AP altogether. If anything, it should be only that if you choose to get another AP then you couldn't buy it utilizing monthly payments.
No criticism against the OP, but that's kind of common. Why sell something to a customer who chose to stop paying for a prior product

Brad Bishop

I totally agree.

My roommates when to MK on Sunday and it was blocked out for CM's MainGate Pass for some odd reason. SuperBowl? No. Special Event? No. Marathon Weekend? No. They said the park crowds were very thin and couldn't understand why it would've been blocked out. So there's another perk for CM's that keeps getting more complicated.

I understand they are in the business of promoting their parks to keep crowds coming. But I've stated again and again that they are running out of space where guests can roam. Building more resorts and adding more beds and filling them up is one thing. But all of those added guests are going to be going to the same 4 parks. This is why it gets so crowded and unbearable.

The interesting thing is that I'm considering just doing Disneyland from now on (I live in Atlanta). I went there at the beginning of November and, while DL does have it's problems (Tomorrowland esp. the 15yo Rocket Rods hangover), it felt much more like the traditional Disney park that I grew up with (I grew up in Florida).

The main problems with WDW, and I've stated this before, are:
1) Too late on keeping the place up to date - yeah, they're FINALLY trying but I've kind of lost my patience on it
2) They've taken the MK, and other places too, and made it, and I don't know of a good way of putting this so here goes: too streamlined. What's in front of the castle is an amphitheater. It used to be a nice transitional park area. Tomorrowland is some kind of weird sort of Pixar Land with Stitch... New Fantasyland was blah.

Overall it feels like a lot of, "The people want X - give them X but keep it inexpensive," with a mixture of committee planning instead of a person or small team's vision of how something ought to be. They used to bring us innovation. Now they entertain efficiently.

If I start going to Disneyland it won't be as frequently as I used to go to WDW but I think I'll have a better time.

raven

The interesting thing is that I'm considering just doing Disneyland from now on (I live in Atlanta). I went there at the beginning of November and, while DL does have it's problems (Tomorrowland esp. the 15yo Rocket Rods hangover), it felt much more like the traditional Disney park that I grew up with (I grew up in Florida).

The main problems with WDW, and I've stated this before, are:
1) Too late on keeping the place up to date - yeah, they're FINALLY trying but I've kind of lost my patience on it
2) They've taken the MK, and other places too, and made it, and I don't know of a good way of putting this so here goes: too streamlined. What's in front of the castle is an amphitheater. It used to be a nice transitional park area. Tomorrowland is some kind of weird sort of Pixar Land with Stitch... New Fantasyland was blah.

Overall it feels like a lot of, "The people want X - give them X but keep it inexpensive," with a mixture of committee planning instead of a person or small team's vision of how something ought to be. They used to bring us innovation. Now they entertain efficiently.

If I start going to Disneyland it won't be as frequently as I used to go to WDW but I think I'll have a better time.
I like that quote "Entertain efficiently" because it sums up my feelings too.

I'm going to DL in April and haven't been in 10 years but there is definitely a better feel there. I have a friend who is looking to transfer from WDW to DL for that very reason.

But it's true about WDW in being late with the construction in some areas. They've been focused so many years on building more rooms to get more visitors that they've neglected to notice that those guests daily activities have become their headaches.

tribbleorlfl

The renewal rate is getting higher and higher though. Many AP members chose not to renew due to all of the construction going on and the increase isn't worth paying for an entire year of limited offerings. This could be a reason why some AP members are just leaving.

Now, it's been stated on the boards that Disney is trying to scale down their number of APs (and AP events) but they still want all of their money. One of the reasons they allow guests to pay on a monthly basis is because the cost is extremely high (also most parks in FL offer a month-to-month payment option).

The AP's have been the backbone of their guests for decades. Now that they are offering deals to get more outside visitors into the parks & resorts, the AP's are being pushed aside. Just an observation.
Our AP's expire in 4 days and we're still mulling over what to do. In the past, renewal has been a no-brainer, even with some pretty steep price increases. With the changes rolled out this past fall, however, we're looking at an aproximate 15% increase to lose 1 month of attendance by dropping down to Gold or 30% increase to keep it as is on the Platinum. Further complicating the decision is the fact my daughter just turned 3 and Disney thinks we should be paying full adult price for her despite not being able to experience everything a taller person can.

Between the crazy crowds (RIP off seasons when locals could enjoy the parks), cuts in benefits, massive attraction closures and now these ridiculous price increases, right now we're leaning towards non-renewing for the first time in 10 years. There is absolutely no way, even with the inclusion of photo pass, we can justify the value vs cost of keeping Platinum. As a consumer, I cannot stomach paying more for less in the Gold, either.

It's sad, because even being upper-middle class, AP's over this decade have far-surpassed inflation and our income growth to the point where they're just about out of our budget. Surely the inevitable price increases before a potential 2017 renewal certainly will. Might as well pull the bandaid now and start saving money.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

This thread is full of negativity and I'm not sure why? Yeah, there are plenty of crowds, but it's part of it. Don't like crowds, head to Universal where you can ride as many 3D virtual rides as you want. I pay for the experience and that, for me, has never changed regardless of the construction, trends, crowds etc. As an AP I could go the whole day without doing a single ride and not even care. I also don't feel the need to be 'thanked' for being an AP? I get to go to the happiest place on earth when and as often as I want that 95% of the country can't get to and that takes some YEARS (decades?) at a time to go. And for that, I'm thankful enough.

As far as the new AP tier goes, I've decided I'm going with the Gold. I don't mind the one week blackout date in late March as I'm planning on going in the beginning of March. Also don't mind the mid dec-end dec. blackout as I usually go early in december for my Christmas fix.

raven

This thread is full of negativity and I'm not sure why? Yeah, there are plenty of crowds, but it's part of it. Don't like crowds, head to Universal where you can ride as many 3D virtual rides as you want. I pay for the experience and that, for me, has never changed regardless of the construction, trends, crowds etc. As an AP I could go the whole day without doing a single ride and not even care. I also don't feel the need to be 'thanked' for being an AP? I get to go to the happiest place on earth when and as often as I want that 95% of the country can't get to and that takes some YEARS (decades?) at a time to go. And for that, I'm thankful enough.

As far as the new AP tier goes, I've decided I'm going with the Gold. I don't mind the one week blackout date in late March as I'm planning on going in the beginning of March. Also don't mind the mid dec-end dec. blackout as I usually go early in december for my Christmas fix.
Most of Universal's attractions were not designed for the entire family to experience together (with younger ones) so that doesn't compare to Disney.

As far as AP's feeling the need to be thanked, that goes with just about any hospitality company. You are a loyal customer and loyal customers should feel welcomed. Not going above and beyond over other park guests but at least acknowledged more then sending out a small flyer informing them of more things to spend money on. If you read through many AP related threads you will read how they are upset at the changes and prince increases.

Brad Bishop

I think that the main problem is that they've gone from: "We'll build neat, new, innovative things and people will come and we'll make money" to "our data shows that if we do X then we can extract $Y more dollars out of our guests' pockets."

Your first reaction may be: But it's a business.

Yep, of course it is a business. It's just two very different approaches to business. It's the difference between a burger joint saying, "We'll make good burgers and crispy fries and make money while doing so," and, "If we add 10% more salt to the burgers and fries then we will make up the difference in the cost of the salt in beverage sales... I wonder if we could charge for napkins..."

Interestingly, I see the first method involving risk and the second method being the "safe" way to go. I also think we have a whole generation that's just starting to take the reigns that is the "risk adverse" generation. These are the kids who had to wear bicycle helmets, their playgrounds were foam-padded, and they weren't allowed to play outside or go exploring in the woods because something bad may happen. I think they look at this stuff, as they've gotten older, and always take the safe/sound route. It seems to be centered around short-sighted "safe" goals.

You don't get Disneyland out of that. You don't get Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or the Tiki Room. You don't get the PeopleMover. You don't get Space Mountain. You get Nemo, The Little Mermaid, 1/2 a mine train, etc. These are all safe bets. They can see the ROI from New Fantasyland in 3-5 years. What they can't see is the potential from something bigger like an elaborate pirate ride that, decades later, still pulls people in. They see things through the prism of people/hour and $$$/people.

I think that is why Epcot is the way that it is and to cover for the lack of risk, you have festivals. I think that's why SWW existed at DHS. Tell people you're celebrating Star Wars for a month and they'll line up at your gate. You don't have to build anything. Just stock the shelves with Star Wars merchandise.

I think, long term, it's going to hurt them. Short term, they're cashing in.

Again, I look at Universal, which, in my opinion, had rather "meh" parks just a few short years ago, and I see innovation. I see them really trying to do something that'll still be great decades down the road. Kids going on Harry Potter today are going to grow up and take their kids on Harry Potter tomorrow. Except for the die-hard Little Mermaid fan, I don't see that happening with TLM or 7DMT. They'll do it because it's there but not the same as taking your kid for the first time to the MK and getting excited about them riding Pirates or Haunted Mansion. I remember telling my daughter, "I can't wait for you to see these things!"

raven

I think that the main problem is that they've gone from: "We'll build neat, new, innovative things and people will come and we'll make money" to "our data shows that if we do X then we can extract $Y more dollars out of our guests' pockets."

Your first reaction may be: But it's a business.

Yep, of course it is a business. It's just two very different approaches to business. It's the difference between a burger joint saying, "We'll make good burgers and crispy fries and make money while doing so," and, "If we add 10% more salt to the burgers and fries then we will make up the difference in the cost of the salt in beverage sales... I wonder if we could charge for napkins..."

Interestingly, I see the first method involving risk and the second method being the "safe" way to go. I also think we have a whole generation that's just starting to take the reigns that is the "risk adverse" generation. These are the kids who had to wear bicycle helmets, their playgrounds were foam-padded, and they weren't allowed to play outside or go exploring in the woods because something bad may happen. I think they look at this stuff, as they've gotten older, and always take the safe/sound route. It seems to be centered around short-sighted "safe" goals.

You don't get Disneyland out of that. You don't get Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or the Tiki Room. You don't get the PeopleMover. You don't get Space Mountain. You get Nemo, The Little Mermaid, 1/2 a mine train, etc. These are all safe bets. They can see the ROI from New Fantasyland in 3-5 years. What they can't see is the potential from something bigger like an elaborate pirate ride that, decades later, still pulls people in. They see things through the prism of people/hour and $$$/people.

I think that is why Epcot is the way that it is and to cover for the lack of risk, you have festivals. I think that's why SWW existed at DHS. Tell people you're celebrating Star Wars for a month and they'll line up at your gate. You don't have to build anything. Just stock the shelves with Star Wars merchandise.

I think, long term, it's going to hurt them. Short term, they're cashing in.

Again, I look at Universal, which, in my opinion, had rather "meh" parks just a few short years ago, and I see innovation. I see them really trying to do something that'll still be great decades down the road. Kids going on Harry Potter today are going to grow up and take their kids on Harry Potter tomorrow. Except for the die-hard Little Mermaid fan, I don't see that happening with TLM or 7DMT. They'll do it because it's there but not the same as taking your kid for the first time to the MK and getting excited about them riding Pirates or Haunted Mansion. I remember telling my daughter, "I can't wait for you to see these things!"

Well put!! :)

They've indeed been focused on making safe bets over taking risks to be more innovative like they used to do.

It's all corporate BS, stock holder and $ driven now. The real Disney company we all grew up loving is gone for good. :(

disneygeek90

Most of Universal's attractions were not designed for the entire family to experience together (with younger ones) so that doesn't compare to Disney.

As far as AP's feeling the need to be thanked, that goes with just about any hospitality company. You are a loyal customer and loyal customers should feel welcomed. Not going above and beyond over other park guests but at least acknowledged more then sending out a small flyer informing them of more things to spend money on. If you read through many AP related threads you will read how they are upset at the changes and prince increases.
I don't have younger ones, and I still don't like the virtual rides. Too many, too nauseating.

I'm going with the Gold pass when mine expires in May, and it's the same price that I'm used to for a week or two blacked out that I probably wouldn't go during anyway. I don't know... I feel thanked whenever I'm there via friendly staff and a magic that cannot be replicated. Maybe I'm just too much of a ~fangirl, but that's just me.

tribbleorlfl

I don't have younger ones, and I still don't like the virtual rides. Too many, too nauseating.

I'm going with the Gold pass when mine expires in May, and it's the same price that I'm used to for a week or two blacked out that I probably wouldn't go during anyway. I don't know... I feel thanked whenever I'm there via friendly staff and a magic that cannot be replicated. Maybe I'm just too much of a ~fangirl, but that's just me.
Not sure how you're pulling this off. As I said in my post, we currently have the now-retired FL resident AP (of 10 years on the monthly payment plan). To drop down to Gold, our payments are going up 15%. Plus, it's 4.5 weeks of BO's, not 1 or 2.

raven

I agree. Universal has WAY too many simulator-style attractions and they hurt my eyes to the extent of where I nearly hurl. Spiderman, Harry Potter, Transformers, Escape from Gringots, The Simpsons, Despicable Me, Shrek (moving seats) all make me :hungover: And that's a big chunk of attractions in those parks. Even Rip Ride Rocket and the old Hulk coaster banged my head back and forth so much I had a headache the rest of the day, and I'm a HUGE coaster fan too. So those attractions are geared at at a certain demographic of people rather than the entire family.

TBrooker11

Not sure how you're pulling this off. As I said in my post, we currently have the now-retired FL resident AP (of 10 years on the monthly payment plan). To drop down to Gold, our payments are going up 15%. Plus, it's 4.5 weeks of BO's, not 1 or 2.

I was paying $45 a month and I went with Gold and I am now paying $40 I believe. Plus, like the previous person said, I wouldn't be going when those BO's are. Way too busy at those times for me and other stuff going on anyway.

tribbleorlfl

I was paying $45 a month and I went with Gold and I am now paying $40 I believe. Plus, like the previous person said, I wouldn't be going when those BO's are. Way too busy at those times for me and other stuff going on anyway.
I still don't understand how that can be. Here is the screenshot of my current renewal w/ gold selected. $41.36/ mo for a total of 124.08 for 3 adult FL resident passes. My current passes I have been paying 108.90 total (36.30/mo) for the same 3 adult FL resident passes (12 equal payments, no down payments), after paying 104.93 in 2014.

Screenshot_2016-02-11-12-02-29-01.jpeg

TBrooker11

I still don't understand how that can be. Here is the screenshot of my current renewal w/ gold selected. $41.36/ mo for a total of 124.08 for 3 adult FL resident passes. My current passes I have been paying 108.90 total (36.30/mo) for the same 3 adult FL resident passes (12 equal payments, no down payments), after paying 104.93 in 2014.

View attachment 130073
What was the name of your pass in years past? My pass was $584 last year because I had the premium one. So I basically had a bunch of stuff I never used like ESPN, Water Parks, Disney Quest, Golf Course, etc. I traded that stuff I never use out for PhotoPass in the new pass and some blackouts.

PlaneCrazy1978

Did anyone get the Disney survey on APs this week? OMG that was interesting. I'm not sure they knew what can of worms they were opening when they drafted it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom