A Spirited Perfect Ten

lazyboy97o

So, on a different tangent I'm currently in Tokyo Disneyland- and man is it packed! Granted it's a Saturday- but maybe there's no downtime in any Disney parks now? Unless there's a holiday I'm blissfully ignorant of over here. What have anyone else's experiences with crowds been like if you've been here? Maybe we just made a rookie mistake of turning up on a Saturday lunchtime! Ha.
Crowds are pretty much the norm at Tokyo Disney Resort and why people doubt that the Magic Kingdom is actually the most visited park in the world.

GiveMeTheMusic

So, on a different tangent I'm currently in Tokyo Disneyland- and man is it packed! Granted it's a Saturday- but maybe there's no downtime in any Disney parks now? Unless there's a holiday I'm blissfully ignorant of over here. What have anyone else's experiences with crowds been like if you've been here? Maybe we just made a rookie mistake of turning up on a Saturday lunchtime! Ha.

Don't get me wrong though it's got some great bits (and side note, Tokyo city is beautiful if you ever get the chance to go- welcoming, clean & modern yet with great history. It's not as alienating as you might think & even though we've eaten mainly traditional Japanese food there's plenty of western options) but the crowds in the park today were just insane. And manic! Everyone seemed to be running everywhere. 80-120 min waits for most rides & most fastpasses gone by lunchtime (call me a pixie duster but I'd of loved to of been able to have 3 fast passes booked and ready for today to be able to of got on some of what I'd had in my head as must dos!) along with crowds winding 2 & 3 fold out of buildings for all restaurants & even food stands. And then the crowd control was just ridiculous. During the parades everyone sits all over the floor with blankets and literally sets up camp- when we were trying to leave after the dream lights parade it was like trying to wade through manic Magic Kingdom crowds after Wishes, but filtering those massive crowds into a single file trying to push through everyone because everyone is stopping & sitting down on the floor to wait for the next show & fireworks. There was also hardly any lighting or control from the cast members. And yep, many a buggy in the heels even here. Yikes!

I am enjoying some of the differences & the extra details in things of course though! Enjoyed some Mickey Mouse shaped steamed pork & chicken teriaki buns for dinner ha ha! And it's Disney Tokyo Sea tomorrow- really looking forward to that. Hope the crowds aren't quite so mad!

Weekends at Tokyo Disney are insane year round. Weekdays are crowded as well, but not usually as bad. Next time be sure to go on a weekday, and regardless of what day you go, if you don't arrive before park opening you're already hopelessly behind for the day.

Don't miss Sindbad's Storybook Voyage (grab a Chandu tail next door!), Tower of Terror and Indy in TDS. Toy Story Mania is an exact clone, skip it. Big Band Beat is amazing. The Mermaid Lagoon Theater is fantastic and offers Fastpass. Journey and 20K are very much worth doing, if a little frustrating in their execution.

hopemax

Everything I've ever read about Tokyo is that you need to be in line at a turn-style an hour before the park is scheduled to open, otherwise you are already playing catch-up.

I'm going to Disneyland, stateside, next weekend. It's Candlelight Weekend so I imagine it will also be a complete madhouse. But it was the only dates we could work with to make it before everything shuts down for SWLand.

GiveMeTheMusic

Everything I've ever read about Tokyo is that you need to be in line at a turn-style an hour before the park is scheduled to open, otherwise you are already playing catch-up.

I'm going to Disneyland, stateside, next weekend. It's Candlelight Weekend so I imagine it will also be a complete madhouse. But it was the only dates we could work with to make it before everything shuts down for SWLand.

Come early. :) It will be very busy, but manageable if you can arrive early in the day. Be sure to go straight to Hyperspace Mountain - Fastpasses have been running out as soon as an hour after park opening. Get Fantasmic Fastpasses early as well if you are planning on seeing that and don't have a dining package; they're going very fast these days.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Weekends at Tokyo Disney are insane year round. Weekdays are crowded as well, but not usually as bad. Next time be sure to go on a weekday, and regardless of what day you go, if you don't arrive before park opening you're already hopelessly behind for the day.

Don't miss Sindbad's Storybook Voyage (grab a Chandu tail next door!), Tower of Terror and Indy in TDS. Toy Story Mania is an exact clone, skip it. Big Band Beat is amazing. The Mermaid Lagoon Theater is fantastic and offers Fastpass. Journey and 20K are very much worth doing, if a little frustrating in their execution.

I love Toy Story Mania, because most of the crowds go there when the park opens, making it much easier to get FP's and quick rides on a few things in the other areas of the park.

I generally agree, but I think Journey and 20K are some of the best attractions there. I just took a friend there who had never been before and those are the only attractions he talks about.

GiveMeTheMusic

I love Toy Story Mania, because most of the crowds go there when the park opens, making it much easier to get FP's and quick rides on a few things in the other areas of the park.

I generally agree, but I think Journey and 20K are some of the best attractions there. I just took a friend there who had never been before and those are the only attractions he talks about.

I appreciate them but found them frustrating. Journey is really fabulous until it abruptly ends. Right when it feels like it's getting going, it's over. 20K is cool but kind of mystifying and there's very little effort put into the dry for wet illusion. It's painfully obvious you're never underwater and that's kind of the point of the ride.

Ariel1986

Thanks- we're never really morning people, plus we couldn't actually get there any earlier than we did yesterday, but lesson learnt! You'd think we'd of known from many WDW trips but hey.
Still was fun to explore & see the differences plus we got a few rides in.

Thanks for the tips for TDS- those had all been on the list anyhow except for ToT, until I saw it from the outside! Wow.

BrerJon

Yup that's a rookie mistake! 90% of guests going to Tokyo Disneyland will get there about an hour before park opening. If you want to get Fastpasses for the most popular attractions, such as Pooh and Monsters, you stand no chance if you're not there then.

Crowds are always huge at weekends, but if you know where you're going and plan effectively, you won't be spending too long in lines. It's not the kind of place you can just turn up and explore though or else you'll be battling crowds all day.

The Japanese are very orderly when it comes to parades. They'll set up blankets etc. and tend to sit down so that people behind them can see. There's no pushing and shoving, or trying to give their kid a better view than everyone else, no kids on shoulder selfishness, it's all very polite and orderly. But you do have to plan around the parades, because once it starts you're pretty much stuck in one place.

Enjoy DisneySea - it shouldn't be quite as crowded, but there's so much to see and it's so big that you'll probably feel a bit overwhelmed. Sindbad is the best ride there, and never has a line, and don't bother even trying for Toy Story, it's the same, but do try your best to do their Tower of Terror.

BrianLo

Don't get me wrong though it's got some great bits (and side note, Tokyo city is beautiful if you ever get the chance to go- welcoming, clean & modern yet with great history. It's not as alienating as you might think & even though we've eaten mainly traditional Japanese food there's plenty of western options) but the crowds in the park today were just insane. And manic! Everyone seemed to be running everywhere. 80-120 min waits for most rides & most fastpasses gone by lunchtime (call me a pixie duster but I'd of loved to of been able to have 3 fast passes booked and ready for today to be able to of got on some of what I'd had in my head as must dos!) along with crowds winding 2 & 3 fold out of buildings for all restaurants & even food stands. And then the crowd control was just ridiculous. During the parades everyone sits all over the floor with blankets and literally sets up camp- when we were trying to leave after the dream lights parade it was like trying to wade through manic Magic Kingdom crowds after Wishes, but filtering those massive crowds into a single file trying to push through everyone because everyone is stopping & sitting down on the floor to wait for the next show & fireworks. There was also hardly any lighting or control from the cast members. And yep, many a buggy in the heels even here. Yikes!

I am enjoying some of the differences & the extra details in things of course though! Enjoyed some Mickey Mouse shaped steamed pork & chicken teriaki buns for dinner ha ha! And it's Disney Tokyo Sea tomorrow- really looking forward to that. Hope the crowds aren't quite so mad!

Yes unfortunately a big part of that is going on a Saturday. Tokyo definitely has slow periods, I've been during them, but certainly less since 2012 when the parks jumped to their current busy state and investment stalled.

Prioritize Sinbad, 20k, and Journey to the center of the earth. Tower of terror next. Of course Indy is an excellent attraction but you can largely experience the same thing in Disneyland if you are super held back by crowds.

I agree with everyone, it's for the best steering clear of TSMM. You'll be happier for it if you just accept that attraction is off limits.

Good luck with the lotteries!

GiveMeTheMusic

Yes unfortunately a big part of that is going on a Saturday. Tokyo definitely has slow periods, I've been during them, but certainly less since 2012 when the parks jumped to their current busy state and investment stalled.

Prioritize Sinbad, 20k, and Journey to the center of the earth. Tower of terror next. Of course Indy is an excellent attraction but you can largely experience the same thing in Disneyland if you are super held back by crowds.

I agree with everyone, it's for the best steering clear of TSMM. You'll be happier for it if you just accept that attraction is off limits.

I was floored by how much nicer TDS' Indy attraction is than DL's. The effects are refined and the new ones are dazzling (a CYCLONE), the dead space eliminated, everything is more polished - a true 2.0 take on the ride. If one missed it, it wouldn't be the end of the world as it's still at its core a copy of the original at DL.

And Sindbad is truly just wonderful. A real old school Disney ride and THAT SONG. It will never leave you. Ever.

Nmoody1

Yup that's a rookie mistake! 90% of guests going to Tokyo Disneyland will get there about an hour before park opening. If you want to get Fastpasses for the most popular attractions, such as Pooh and Monsters, you stand no chance if you're not there then.

Crowds are always huge at weekends, but if you know where you're going and plan effectively, you won't be spending too long in lines. It's not the kind of place you can just turn up and explore though or else you'll be battling crowds all day.

The Japanese are very orderly when it comes to parades. They'll set up blankets etc. and tend to sit down so that people behind them can see. There's no pushing and shoving, or trying to give their kid a better view than everyone else, no kids on shoulder selfishness, it's all very polite and orderly. But you do have to plan around the parades, because once it starts you're pretty much stuck in one place.

Enjoy DisneySea - it shouldn't be quite as crowded, but there's so much to see and it's so big that you'll probably feel a bit overwhelmed. Sindbad is the best ride there, and never has a line, and don't bother even trying for Toy Story, it's the same, but do try your best to do their Tower of Terror.

Orderly and no shoulder sitting... much like the castle lighting ceremony at MK then! ;)

Ariel1986

Thanks- we were quite overwhelmed! The size is just (or perceived size, but I'm sure it's the biggest of all Disney parks?) is incredible. And the detail- wow! Loved it. We managed 20k, Journey to the Center of the Earth (awesome!), Mermaid Lagoon and (mistakingly as it wasn't worth it!) Dualing Spirits coaster. But we must of walked the entire place at least 3 times. I really, really wanted to do their ToT as it just amazed me from the outside- but the que didn't drop under 140 mins and the fastpasses were already gone. Now everyone's saying Sinbad I'm annoyed we didn't manage that one too! But we weren't able to get any fastpasses except for 20k so had to que everything else, so that took up a lot of time. Had a great day though, quite a sight to see! And if/when (hopefully!) we return, we will definitely know what to do!

Thanks- as above we had a great day. Definitely didn't get even half of it done and I'd of loved to of fitted in Sinbad, ToT and Indy. But hey, something to return to! Still can't get over some parts- loved the detailing in both the rides, architecture & even food!

So in conclusion- go to Japan if you can anyone! And if you can- when you're there if you can make it to Tokyo Disney Resort, go! Especially Disney Sea. Great experience.

RSoxNo1

If you can avoid Tokyo Disney on the weekends you'll be better off.

BrerJon

So in conclusion- go to Japan if you can anyone! And if you can- when you're there if you can make it to Tokyo Disney Resort, go! Especially Disney Sea. Great experience.

So glad you enjoyed it.

Lots of people balk at the idea of spending time in a Disney park when visiting Japan, but many don't realise that you actually get *more* of a cultural experience seeing how the Japanese spend their time off, how they do things differently, than just visiting tourist sights, as the basis of familiarity means the differences stand out much more strikingly and you'll feel like you've had an authentically Japanese experience.

Smiddimizer

Thanks- we were quite overwhelmed! The size is just (or perceived size, but I'm sure it's the biggest of all Disney parks?) is incredible. And the detail- wow! Loved it. We managed 20k, Journey to the Center of the Earth (awesome!), Mermaid Lagoon and (mistakingly as it wasn't worth it!) Dualing Spirits coaster. But we must of walked the entire place at least 3 times. I really, really wanted to do their ToT as it just amazed me from the outside- but the que didn't drop under 140 mins and the fastpasses were already gone. Now everyone's saying Sinbad I'm annoyed we didn't manage that one too! But we weren't able to get any fastpasses except for 20k so had to que everything else, so that took up a lot of time. Had a great day though, quite a sight to see! And if/when (hopefully!) we return, we will definitely know what to do!

Thanks- as above we had a great day. Definitely didn't get even half of it done and I'd of loved to of fitted in Sinbad, ToT and Indy. But hey, something to return to! Still can't get over some parts- loved the detailing in both the rides, architecture & even food!

Another gem I hope you were able to experience was their Splash Mountain...it's deceptively very similar but also vastly superior to the American versions.

BrianLo

So glad you enjoyed it.

Lots of people balk at the idea of spending time in a Disney park when visiting Japan, but many don't realise that you actually get *more* of a cultural experience seeing how the Japanese spend their time off, how they do things differently, than just visiting tourist sights, as the basis of familiarity means the differences stand out much more strikingly and you'll feel like you've had an authentically Japanese experience.

Authentically Disney, Distinctly Japanese. Hmm, they could make a marketing tag-line out of that. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom