AVATAR land construction progress

twebber55

Tower cranes are fairly fixed in how far they can reach with loads. They also prevent other large and mobile cranes from working in close vicinity and would be difficult to use when affixing all the different sized pieces that make up the non-uniform mountain shapes. Combining both approaches actually is more effective and reduces final completion time.

It'll be interesting how they choose to work on the upper areas of the rockwork. Shotcrete is an obvious choice, but there may be limits in how high the equipment can service. They may be forced to use the tower cranes to lift material to the higher levels and have the material manually applied.
for us amateurs whats shotcrete

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Tower cranes are fairly fixed in how far they can reach with loads. They also prevent other large and mobile cranes from working in close vicinity and would be difficult to use when affixing all the different sized pieces that make up the non-uniform mountain shapes. Combining both approaches actually is more effective and reduces final completion time.

It'll be interesting how they choose to work on the upper areas of the rockwork. Shotcrete is an obvious choice, but there may be limits in how high the equipment can service. They may be forced to use the tower cranes to lift material to the higher levels and have the material manually applied.

I was starting to wonder if they might use the towers for the rockwork, that would make sense as to why they were just put in now. I wonder how the high parts of Everest were done?

EdC

I was starting to wonder if they might use the towers for the rockwork, that would make sense as to why they were just put in now. I wonder how the high parts of Everest were done?
I'm not 100% certain on Everest, but starting about 12:30 in this video provides a good idea:

Edit: Actually, through 16 minutes it's 100% explained. Ha!

So I bet they're doing this the same way but the cranes will help

Last edited:

Mike S

Not sure how much has changed but here you go.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Tom

Beta Return

Good point. May not be able to pump that high.

for us amateurs whats shotcrete

Basically, concrete that's shot through a pressurized hose. Similar to gunnite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom