Here come the mermaids

Goofyernmost

Pardon my ignorance but wasn't said imaginary animal zooming by quickly inside a snowcapped mountain one of the key visual elements of the whole attraction. Are you suggesting the mermaid is of similar importance? If so surely executing it properly at the first try would be paramount?
Personally, they spun it so that the Yeti was to be a key visual element, and it still is just as much as before, but, with less action. People asked the question... What was that? because they went by so fast that they were unable to identify what it was. Blink your eye and it's gone. So the propaganda was in place to make it a vital element, but, the show did not allow it to be one since it was unseen by many.

MonorailLover

image.jpeg

Last edited:

MonorailLover

I have seen both and although I am a bit puzzled as to why there is a Mermaid skeleton, it's been there for quite a while now. At least a couple of years I think. I only ride it once a trip and I know I have seen it at least twice, maybe three times. I have seen the Mermaid projection just once and frankly I thought it was pretty well done. It is distorted, but, if you were looking at something that is underwater and you are not, it would be distorted. So it was done well, in my opinion, but, apparently there are technical issues or maybe not enough people even noticed it to make the effect worthwhile.

To those about to say... Well, it should be working, Walt would roll in his grave, etc., remember that an effect that isn't seen is worthless. This one seemed to be way to subtle for the non-Disney obsessed to either see or even know existed. Without knowing where to look, it is nearly impossible to just accidentally notice it.

I would think that those swords that are running through their bodies would be a good clue as to what killed them.

So, you are pretty sure that a fictional being, like a mermaid, would have a femur? Isn't that carrying a desire for accuracy just a little too far, since there is no possible way to know what would be accurate?

Personally, they spun it so that the Yeti was to be a key visual element, and it still is just as much as before, but, with less action. People asked the question... What was that? because they went by so fast that they were unable to identify what it was. Blink your eye and it's gone. So the propaganda was in place to make it a vital element, but, the show did not allow it to be one since it was unseen by many.

image.jpeg

The Duck

I have seen both and although I am a bit puzzled as to why there is a Mermaid skeleton, it's been there for quite a while now. At least a couple of years I think. I only ride it once a trip and I know I have seen it at least twice, maybe three times. I have seen the Mermaid projection just once and frankly I thought it was pretty well done. It is distorted, but, if you were looking at something that is underwater and you are not, it would be distorted. So it was done well, in my opinion, but, apparently there are technical issues or maybe not enough people even noticed it to make the effect worthwhile.

To those about to say... Well, it should be working, Walt would roll in his grave, etc., remember that an effect that isn't seen is worthless. This one seemed to be way to subtle for the non-Disney obsessed to either see or even know existed. Without knowing where to look, it is nearly impossible to just accidentally notice it.
The mermaid skeleton is a nod to POTC 4 On Stranger Tides. There was a scene where several skeletons were found from mermaids who were tied up and left exposed to the elements in an effort to extract tears for the Fountain of Youth to work properly. If it sounds convoluted, it's because it is.
Mermaid_skeleton.jpg

Goofyernmost

The mermaid skeleton is a nod to POTC 4 On Stranger Tides. There was a scene where several skeletons were found from mermaids who were tied up and left exposed to the elements in an effort to extract tears for the Fountain of Youth to work properly. If it sounds convoluted, it's because it is. View attachment 114617
Thank you for that information. I have never seen POTC 4 and really have no intention to do so, that answer, however, is very understandable. My mistake!

Goofyernmost

The 4th movie was my fav after the originalif that means anything.
I'm sure that it was the favorite of many, but, I watched the first hour of POTC 2 and decided that for me the entire story was told in POTC 1 and never had any desire to follow it through to what looks like a never ending story.

matt9112

I'm sure that it was the favorite of many, but, I watched the first hour of POTC 2 and decided that for me the entire story was told in POTC 1 and never had any desire to follow it through to what looks like a never ending story.

The second was worst story wise....lol

FigmentJedi

The 4th movie was my fav after the originalif that means anything.
I'd say its the worst of them. They threw out the fun supporting pirate cast, Blackbeard's zombie officers were really downplayed and barely noticable, and the priest and mermaid were clearly a forced (and failed) attempt at making a new Will and Elizabeth. Blackbeard was fun though.

Goofyernmost

Yes, 3 years ago....
What the hell difference does it make when it was started. They still are part of it and there have been some varying degrees of experiences with them on the ride. What is wrong with discussing that even if the thread were 100 years old. You folks need to make up your minds here. You get upset if someone activates an old, but, currently relevant thread and then you get mad if someone starts a new thread when one already exists. You cannot have it both ways.

So the bottom line is... if it is resurrected and people continue to comment on it, the only thing that one has to do to avoid it is to keep ones finger off the button and click onto one that you feel is more to your liking.

MonorailLover

What the hell difference does it make when it was started. They still are part of it and there have been some varying degrees of experiences with them on the ride. What is wrong with discussing that even if the thread were 100 years old. You folks need to make up your minds here. You get upset if someone activates an old, but, currently relevant thread and then you get mad if someone starts a new thread when one already exists. You cannot have it both ways.

So the bottom line is... if it is resurrected and people continue to comment on it, the only thing that one has to do to avoid it is to keep ones finger off the button and click onto one that you feel is more to your liking.
You commenting on it 4 times does not mean that "people continue to comment on it", and the reason why my meme made sense, was because there it a more relevant thread called:
"Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumour"

The reason why we don't reopen threads is because there's a 99.99% chance that there's a more relevant thread that's currently being discussed, you just need to look.

Zac Skellington

You are the one pointing out the name of the thread. The mermaids are no longer coming, but are in fact starting to leave. Thanks for being such an •••, I'll be sure to reply to your posts in similar fashion. "Have a Magical Day"!

CaptainAmerica

The reason why we don't reopen threads is because there's a 99.99% chance that there's a more relevant thread that's currently being discussed, you just need to look.
That's not really a good thing. This board posts a new thread for every single tiny bit of information (or non-information) that crosses into someone's mind. It's extremely disorganized.

Goofyernmost

Well, the thing is... you CAN. There's currently a very active thread discussing the Pirates refurb in which people are discussing all of the effects and scenery in detail, including the mermaids.
When all is said and done it's just a group of people that are obsessive compulsive and for some reason known to god alone cannot let things be out of their personal control. Don't want it to continue, don't post on it and it will die a quick death otherwise if it continues to create discussion then it is just a valid as any other thread on the boards. In the words of the Disney Princess... Let it go! Don't like it... don't read it. It really is a simple solution that once ignored will be of no further angst to anyone.

MonorailLover

That's not really a good thing. This board posts a new thread for every single tiny bit of information (or non-information) that crosses into someone's mind. It's extremely disorganized.
Not for this information specifically, though. Almost all of the latest information for POTC is in the one thread and on the front page of News & Rumours page 90% of the time, since it's always being talked about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom