Book report attractions - what's the deal?

brb1006

There's that, and if you look at the concept art of what the Imagineers originally had in mind, and compare it to what we actually got-it's just so disappointing. And the book report isn't even a coherent one:

"Eric Kisses Ariel. Ursula is therefore struck by lightning and defeated." What.

This isn't the image I've seen before, but it gives you an idea-you would actually play a more active role in the experience originally. Ursula was menacing.
tumblr_mvg976DNJ91s0c4z4o7_400.jpg

The Little Mermaid is one of Disney's very best, and really deserved better than this.
I was very dissapointd when I seen the giant form of Ursula out in the distance as you leave the "Kiss The Girl" bit and head straight for the finale. If that version of Ursula ever appeared in the actual attraction. It would look very amazing especially knowing how huge and fantastic the Ursula As looks and moves. Even though this was from a never built Disneyland Paris attraction.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

if there weren't attractions based on Disney movies, then it wouldn't be Disney.
Ironically, the whole Florida Project was started, all those 27k acres were acquiered, to build a world not based on Disney movies.

EPCOT even in the theme park form in which it did end up being build, had not a single attraction based on Disney movies. Yet is was the most 'Walt', the most 'Disney' thing TWDC had ever build.

The contraction into 'WDW = Emporium Windows' is very recent.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

I was very dissapointd when I seen the giant form of Ursula out in the distance as you leave the "Kiss The Girl" bit and head straight for the finale. If that version of Ursula ever appeared in the actual attraction. It would look very amazing especially knowing how huge and fantastic the Ursula As looks and moves.
I firmly believe that there were indeed plans to include a giant Ursula, but the Imagineers blew all of their money on the animatronics and had to make due with what little they had left.

The Empress Lilly

Why weren't there any Disney characters in The Little Mermaid or Frozen.
I know what you did there. ;)

Sadly, there were. Frozen's climax relies on an intertextual expectation of what it means to be a Disney Princess in a Princess movie - salvation with true love's kiss. It is very much self-referential, moving beyond Disney artistic and narrative tradition and house style.

French Quarter

Ironically, the whole Florida Project was started, all those 27k acres were acquiered, to build a world not based on Disney movies.

EPCOT even in the theme park form in which it did end up being build, had not a single attraction based on Disney movies. Yet is was the most 'Walt', the most 'Disney' thing TWDC had ever build.

The contraction into 'WDW = Emporium Windows' is very recent.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. From the moment that MK, it contained attractions that were tied into Disney movies. So, where did you hear that this was not the intention?

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. From the moment that MK, it contained attractions that were tied into Disney movies. So, where did you hear that this was not the intention?
What would have been tied to movies at EPCOT, the industrial park or airport? Disney's films are never once mentioned in relation to the Florida Project in the "EPCOT film."

French Quarter

What would have been tied to movies at EPCOT, the industrial park or airport? Disney's films are never once mentioned in relation to the Florida Project in the "EPCOT film."

Disney World was the Magic Kingdom. The first rides to open in 71 were all about characters. Epcot is only a part of the vision.

lazyboy97o

Disney World was the Magic Kingdom. The first rides to open in 71 were all about characters. Epcot is only a part of the vision.
EPCOT, not Epcot.
"As you can see on this master plan, the theme park and all the other tourist facilities fill just one small area of our enormous Florida project."

"But the most exciting, by far the most important part of our Florida project—in fact, the heart of everything well be doing in Disney World—will be our experimental prototype city of tomorrow. We call it EPCOT, spelled E-P-C-O-T: Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow."

And Magic Kingdom was most definitely not all about characters in 1971.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

The first rides to open in 71 were all about characters..

Here's a short list to show otherwise:

Hall of Presidents
Haunted Mansion
Mike Fink Keelboats
Riverboat (x2)
Jungle Cruise
Walt Disney World Railroad
Tropical Serenade
Circle-Vision 360 (November '71)
Flight to the Moon (December '71)
Tomorrowland Speedway
It's a Small World
Skyway to Fantasyland/Tomorrowland
Main Street Vehicles
Country Bear Jamboree
Diamond Horseshoe Revue

Then there were two attractions based on live-action titles (Swiss Family Treehouse & 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea), and some cartoon based rides (like Mr. Toad) that deviated from their film source to produce a more exciting attraction.

French Quarter

And Magic Kingdom was most definitely not all about characters in 1971.

I did not say this. I said that there were attractions that tied into film. I didn't say all the attractions did.

Mickey Mouse featured prominently, for instance. This was a connection to a Disney product outside of the parks.

To say that originally WDW had nothing to do with Disney product is rose-coloured.

Do I really need to make a list? Is this not common knowledge among fans?

Alright here:

Peter Pan's Flight
Mad Tea Party
Jungle Cruise
Cinderella's Carousel
Swiss Family Treehouse
Davy Crockett's Canoes
Snow White's Adventures
Mickey Mouse Revue
Dumbo
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
20,000 Leagues

This is a significant number of attractions that are connected to Disney film and TV.

lazyboy97o

I did not say this. I said that there were attractions that tied into film. I didn't say all the attractions did.

Mickey Mouse featured prominently, for instance. This was a connection to a Disney product outside of the parks.

To say that originally WDW had nothing to do with Disney product is rose-coloured.

Do I really need to make a list? Is this not common knowledge among fans?

Alright here:

Peter Pan's Flight
Mad Tea Party
Jungle Cruise
Cinderella's Carousel
Swiss Family Treehouse
Davy Crockett's Canoes
Snow White's Adventures
Mickey Mouse Revue
Dumbo
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
20,000 Leagues

This is a significant number of attractions that are connected to Disney film and TV.
Watch the EPCOT film. Nothing to do with characters.

EnergyKing

a ride should do more than say "hey there's a movie like this." If one cannot understand the difference in approach between Mr. Toad/SWA and Mermaid then there's nothing I can do for you.

lazyboy97o

I am not talking about Epcot. It's a completely different kettle of fish. It was a mere part of the Florida project.
No, it wasn't a different kettle. EPCOT was the primary reason for the Florida Project, something clearly noted in the film. The land was bought for EPCOT. The whole project initiated for EPCOT. Reedy Creek Improvement District was established for EPCOT. To this day, the building codes at Walt Disney World are the EPCOT Building Codes.

French Quarter

No, it wasn't a different kettle. EPCOT was the primary reason for the Florida Project, something clearly noted in the film. The land was bought for EPCOT. The whole project initiated for EPCOT. Reedy Creek Improvement District was established for EPCOT. To this day, the building codes at Walt Disney World are the EPCOT Building Codes.

Yet plans very obviously changed. And Disney did, in fact, open a park that had tons of tie-ins with their films and other products. So to say that Disney World has gone in a completely different direction than where they started because they reference movies is false.

lazyboy97o

Yet plans very obviously changed. And Disney did, in fact, open a park that had tons of tie-ins with their films and other products. So to say that Disney World has gone in a completely different direction than where they started because they reference movies is false.
No, because the start was EPCOT (since you seem to be ignoring is singular role in the project starting) and neither the Magic Kingdom nor the rest of the Vacation Kingdom had "a ton" of tie-in products.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom