Book report attractions - what's the deal?

Brer Panther

Mr. Toad wasn't just removed because Pooh was popular. It was removed because nobody knew who Toad was, and the ending seemed too out of place in a Disney park. Still, Disney could've saved themselves a lot of trouble by having Pooh replace Snow White.

Of course, I stand by my belief that if Pooh replaced Snow White, Toad would've just been replaced by a princess meet and greet or a Little Mermaid dark ride during the Fantasyland Expansion.

EnergyKing

Mr. Toad wasn't just removed because Pooh was popular. It was removed because nobody knew who Toad was, and the ending seemed too out of place in a Disney park. Still, Disney could've saved themselves a lot of trouble by having Pooh replace Snow White.

Of course, I stand by my belief that if Pooh replaced Snow White, Toad would've just been replaced by a princess meet and greet or a Little Mermaid dark ride during the Fantasyland Expansion.

How did the ending seem out of place? It was there opening day, along with SWA's "too scary for 90's kids" original version. Never seemed to be a problem until parents starting obsessing about their kids. For the record, I loved MTWW as a kid, and I didn't know anything about Mr. Toad. It was after going on the ride that I learned about Wind and the Willows, and the Disney cartoon. I'm sure many toddlers don't know who Ronald Reagan is either, but the Hall of Presidents continues to exist. It's not a bad thing for kids to learn something. Are they all on board with Song of the South? Should we gut Splash Mountain as well because little Tammy and Billy might be confused, and their parents might have to (gasp) explain something?

End rant.

Brer Panther

Well, they did refurbish Snow White in the 90s so that it didn't end with the Queen killing you via a giant diamond. Also, since the people at Disney were too lazy to construct a new building for Pooh, they had to get rid of ONE dark ride, and Peter Pan and Snow White were more well-known than Toad.

EnergyKing

What's wrong with the Queen killing you via a giant diamond? The movie's main conflict consists of the witch trying to kill Snow White. It wasn't out of line at all. I grew up fine. So did the rest of my family who rode it. Mr. Toad didn't turn us into Satan worshippers. I don't think Winnie the Pooh is stopping potential lunatics from becoming lunatics. In short, none of this matters. "Special" kids are going to grow into not-so-special adults who make serious life choices that have nothing to do with the Disney rides they rode as toddlers.

EnergyKing

Yes, but did she succeed?
Even if she didn't succeed, it's still pretty dark, don't you think? And don't the villains usually die in these movies? Doesn't Bambi's mother die? Yes, so death occurs in Disney films. I think kids being transformed into donkeys and forced into servitude in Pinocchio is a hell of a lot darker than SWA.

Besides, the ride is more a nightmare that Snow White is having, that's why the story seemed familiar yet off, like a nightmare. One thinks they're in the sanctuary of the 7 Dwarves home only to discover it's as scary a scene as the rest of the ride. And the witch keeps on coming, she's everywhere, logic out the window, the more you run to more she appears. That's what I loved about the ride. It was a terrifying nightmare hidden inside a seemingly anodyne looking carnival tent.

Brer Panther

I've actually heard (don't remember where) that Mr. Toad was the ride that we were supposed to see as a dream the main character is having.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom