Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

D

Deleted member 107043

That's because Disneyland hasn't had a major new attraction added in 20 years, and it was IP based. There are no headliners at DL that haven't existed for decades at this point.

Exactly, and almost without exception everything they have added - from attractions to shows and parades to merchandise in the shops - during that time has had a strong IP tie in. Thus my point stands. The parks are primarily being used today as outlets to promote existing Disney brands. If that weren't the case we wouldn't be having this discussion.

lazyboy97o

How does moving the berm out and slightly shortening the ROA and island destroy the theme park's "soul"?
The reasons why it is happening.

"This is a good movie, it should be in a theme park" is a bad reason.
"This made a lot of money at the box office, it should be in a theme park" is a bad reason.
"This sold a lot of toys, it should be in s theme park" is a bad reason.
"This is popular, it should be in a theme park" is a bad reason.

"This would be a great themed entertainment experience" is never the criteria. It is always some other metric.

Disney's track record on plussing, especially it's built environs, is mediocre at best because decisions are driven by other metrics, not the experience.

D

Deleted member 107043

"This would be a great themed entertainment experience" is never the criteria. It is always some other metric.

This is true, which is why you either accept it or move on to some other passion that makes you happy. The vision you want for Disneyland is outdated and isn't likely to return in our lifetime.

Travel Junkie

This is true, which is why you either accept it or move on to some other passion that makes you happy. The vision you want for Disneyland is outdated and isn't likely to return in our lifetime.

Is this the if you don’t like how the country is being run leave the country argument of the theme park world?

If any of us feel they are making a mistake, I would encourage you to speak up, not accept it or get a new hobby. The experience winning out over other metrics is not outdated. I’ve been to other theme parks including other Disney parks (TDR for example) that believe the experience is the primary driver of how the park evolves. Yes IP has always been a part of every Disney park but was laid out in a fashion that seamlessly integrated into an overall experience that worked n a subconscious. Lately it has become more in your face direct marketing.

Curious Constance

"This made a lot of money at the box office, it should be in a theme park" is a bad reason.

Disney's track record on plussing, especially it's built environs, is mediocre at best because decisions are driven by other metrics, not the experience.

I would agrue that it has to make money AND be a great themed entertainment experience. If the people developing and approving Star Wars land didn't think it was going to be a great themed experience AND be a huge money maker, it wouldn't be made. Disney does more than anyone else to make sure their theming and "show" is upheld as much as it can be. I don't think they do this because they have a good heart, I think they do this because they know if they aren't better than the people down the road, it's not going to make them the money want to make.

dweezil78

I honestly think Star Wars Land is a perfect storm of every single criteria you mentioned. Sure it's a guaranteed money maker, but you don't think the gang at WDI who grew up on Star Wars wasn't drooling at the chance to go crazy building an entire world based on the franchise?

To me, it's one of those no-brainer "how do they NOT do this??" deals. Star Wars has been ingrained into Disney culture for half as long as Disneyland has been in existence with Star Tours attractions around the world, Jedi Training Academy, Star Wars weekends, Star Wars marathon, etc. There are now multiple generations who have grown up associating Star Wars with Disney. If you don't think of Star Wars as a Disney thing, you are simply getting hung up over semantics.

IMO, it is the only franchise truly worthy of its own land -- something that could stand the test of time. By the time the land opens, we will be in the middle of a THIRD trilogy along with new movies exploring and creating backstories for other characters. Along with books, comic books, live action/animated tv, video games, and so on. It is a very, very different beast from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter which is based on a story that really revolves around one central character -- heck, even his name is in the land's name! In 10 years, it is entirely possible interest will have waned on the Harry Potter franchise and then what?

The closest thing the world had to a 'franchise' when Disney opened was Disney itself and we saw that manifest in the form of Fantasyland. In my eyes, Fantasyland WAS and IS the Disney Land of Disneyland. It is all things Disney brought to life. This is what Star Wars Land is. It's not a section of the park that revolves around one character or one story. It is literally the universe of Star Wars brought to life in a themed environment -- something that so many of us have been dreaming to experience since we were in diapers playing with action figures. If someone's biggest issue with it is it being a land dedicated to one IP versus multiple, again, I think you are getting hung up on semantics.

I can not tell you how pumped I am on it.

D

Deleted member 107043

Is this the if you don’t like how the country is being run leave the country argument of the theme park world?

Common sense dictates that being upset and mad over philosophical differences in opinion over the way a theme park is being operated could be a waste of your time and energy. It doesn't matter what you or I think about the way the park is being managed because Disney will run the place the way it sees fit. Either live with it or find another hobby/activity that brings you joy. That's just the way life works. If you want to continue to rant and rave until eternity because you can't control your outrage go ahead, but don't be offended or shocked when others give you side eye for your inability to accept reality.

IIf any of us feel they are making a mistake, I would encourage you to speak up, not accept it or get a new hobby. The experience winning out over other metrics is not outdated. I’ve been to other theme parks including other Disney parks (TDR for example) that believe the experience is the primary driver of how the park evolves. Yes IP has always been a part of every Disney park but was laid out in a fashion that seamlessly integrated into an overall experience that worked n a subconscious. Lately it has become more in your face direct marketing.

The truth is that I don't particularly like this way of operating the parks any more than you do. The difference is that I have accepted the strategy as the new normal for Disney parks (actually the entire theme park industry) worldwide.

GiveMeTheMusic

I am very excited to experience Star Wars Land itself. That doesn't mean I'm not upset at where it's being placed, and that I don't have concerns about whether it truly fits into Disneyland. That's not something everyone's going to agree on.

The plans I was shown for ROA were more drastic than MiceAge reported. I would love for them to not be so drastic, and only time will tell. Losing half of the ROA/island is maddening. Losing 25-30%, not so much.

Travel Junkie

The truth is that I don't particularly like this way of operating the parks any more than you do. The difference is that I have accepted the strategy as the new normal for Disney parks (actually the entire theme park industry) worldwide.

That's not true at all. Plenty of theme parks including some Disney Theme parks operate in a manner that the U.S. Disney parks used to operate. I applaud and support that. Perhaps you should say domestic Disney Theme Parks. That would be more accurate.

I'm not sure why you and another poster keep thinking some of us are frothing at the mouth over this. I have an opinion and am expressing it. There's no ranting or raving, no outrage. There's no mass protest planned. Discussion is good. Debate is good. They only thing that has me slightly perturbed is you stating that I can't accept reality. I don't believe I have even stated my opinion on Star Wars land in this thread or did so only vaguely. I only jumped in when the subject of what types of attractions should or should not be taken out and replied to your post when you basically told anyone that didn't agree with everything Disney does to shut up or leave.

Perhaps you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Curious Constance

The bitterness and anger is there and evident in every comment. It's to the point where Disney discussion boards aren't fun anymore. I make a comment about how much I love Star Wars and it's only grown since I've been able to share my love of it with my son, and someone comments how "Vicarious enjoyment is the worst reason for something to be in Disneyland." Really? I can't be excited without being lecured?

yookeroo

The bitterness and anger is there and evident in every comment. It's to the point where Disney discussion boards aren't fun anymore. I make a comment about how much I love Star Wars and it's only grown since I've been able to share my love of it with my son, and someone comments how "Vicarious enjoyment is the worst reason for something to be in Disneyland." Really? I can't be excited without being lecured?

I'm finding the "ignore" function a nice feature. Makes it easier to avoid the anger.

Although you have to remember you've used it. I was momentarily baffled reading half a conversation recently...then the light went on.

Californian Elitist

If you want to avoid two-sided discussions where mostly everything people post is positive and not "angry," DisBoards is the perfect place for you. By all means, join them and you'll enjoy your time more, and we'll continue to enjoy our discussions here.

D

Deleted member 107043

That's not true at all. Plenty of theme parks including some Disney Theme parks operate in a manner that the U.S. Disney parks used to operate.

Plenty? I'm trying to think of a park in North America ranking in the top 20 most attended that isn't following this trend and I don't think there is one. If there is more than one there certainly aren't "plenty".

I'm not sure why you and another poster keep thinking some of us are frothing at the mouth over this.

Then you haven't been carefully reading what some people are posting. Maybe they aren't frothing at the mouth, but their mania and passion comes across as being a tad over the top and I'm not the only one here noticing it.

I only jumped in when the subject of what types of attractions should or should not be taken out and replied to your post when you basically told anyone that didn't agree with everything Disney does to shut up or leave.

Good grief. :banghead: And you're telling me not to jump to conclusions? lol.

ForeverAnna

In particular the Lincoln attraction is steeped in history and represents a huge step forward in technology that must be preserved not in some museum but in an environment that it was supposed to be in. If you don’t understand why seeing art or historical items where they are supposed to be displayed is better than in some museum then I can’t help you. Some attractions are replaceable, some are not. Because of its historical significance Lincoln belongs in Disneyland.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very disappointed if Lincoln were removed, but, it was designed of the 1964 Worlds Fair not Disneyland.

Curious Constance

If you want to avoid two-sided discussions where mostly everything people post is positive and not "angry," DisBoards is the perfect place for you. By all means, join them and you'll enjoy your time more, and we'll continue to enjoy our discussions here.
I'd rather find other ways of enjoying myself. I just read your post in Darth Vader's voice and it made me smile. :D

Curious Constance

I've been to places where Disney fans are Happy, Happy, Happy!!!!!! all the time. That's even scarier. I'd rather have meaningful discussions where people weren't bitter and angry about EVERYTHING. There should be a happy medium somewhere.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'd rather find other ways of enjoying myself. I just read your post in Darth Vader's voice and it made me smile. :D

giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom