Haunted Mansion Backstory

lazyboy97o

So one person says there is no backstory, others say there are several different back stories. Of course imagineers don't work without backstories and it makes sense there are different ones for different HMs. Thanks.
The whole notion of a backstory was developed in the 1980s, well after The Haunted Mansion opened. How the attraction was created is also rather well discussed and documented. Marc Davis in particular is often quoted for his disregard for strong narratives in attractions.

Bairstow

The Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride.

This is an absolutely incredible Haunted Mansion behind the scenes, presented by one of the most famous WDW imagineers, Tony Baxter.

This is absolutely worth the 50 minutes to watch if you are interested in The Haunted Mansion.

There's some interesting stuff in here, but don't take what Baxter says as gospel.
He may be an imagineer, but he had nothing to do with the first two Mansions, and a lot of what he says about the Haunted Mansion is conflated with the work he actually did on Phantom manor.

One thing to consider about the possible "backstory" to the original mansions (or lack thereof) is that whatever framing story Davis and Coates had in mind when they designed the thing, for all their disagreements about the attraction, one of their conclusions was that a lot of things in the ride would be better off if left unexplained. Personally, I feel like a lot of the effort in the last 20-odd years, both by fans and Disney themselves to add explanations and backstories to things like Mansion and Pirates actively detract from the rides as both artistic works (which they are) and as experiences in general. Art is sometimes defined by the word the author didn't type, or by the brushstroke the artist didn't take, and while these rides will necessarily always be subject to updates and enhancements, a lot of what's been added hasn't enhanced the rides.

As people have said, Doombuggies is a great resource for exploring the details of the Mansion, but for an exhaustive look and contemplation of the Mansion's history and possible creative antecedents I highly recommend the blog "Long Forgotten": http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/

disney4life2008

This is an absolutely incredible Haunted Mansion behind the scenes, presented by one of the most famous WDW imagineers, Tony Baxter.

This is absolutely worth the 50 minutes to watch if you are interested in The Haunted Mansion.

I did not realize how irritating that howling noise is

George Lucas on a Bench

The howling is a classic element of Haunted that went missing years ago. I'd heard it was back. Anyway, you would hear it outside, when loading into the Doom Buggies and then in the graveyard you see the "hellhound" making the sound.

Chef Mickey

There's some interesting stuff in here, but don't take what Baxter says as gospel.
He may be an imagineer, but he had nothing to do with the first two Mansions, and a lot of what he says about the Haunted Mansion is conflated with the work he actually did on Phantom manor.

One thing to consider about the possible "backstory" to the original mansions (or lack thereof) is that whatever framing story Davis and Coates had in mind when they designed the thing, for all their disagreements about the attraction, one of their conclusions was that a lot of things in the ride would be better off if left unexplained. Personally, I feel like a lot of the effort in the last 20-odd years, both by fans and Disney themselves to add explanations and backstories to things like Mansion and Pirates actively detract from the rides as both artistic works (which they are) and as experiences in general. Art is sometimes defined by the word the author didn't type, or by the brushstroke the artist didn't take, and while these rides will necessarily always be subject to updates and enhancements, a lot of what's been added hasn't enhanced the rides.

As people have said, Doombuggies is a great resource for exploring the details of the Mansion, but for an exhaustive look and contemplation of the Mansion's history and possible creative antecedents I highly recommend the blog "Long Forgotten": http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/
Agreed this video is somewhat adapted to Baxter's interpretation, but much of what he says is pretty accurate. Some of the story is up for interpretation as you said and his thoughts are pretty interesting.

FettFan

Hi All. From what I understand, there are several different versions of the ride's backstory, so I thought it'd be fun to see which ones you all have heard/which is your favorite.

The "Official" backstory is...."This Haunted House is a retirement home for the afterlife and 999 ghosts from around the world have come."

That's it.
Straight from the mouths of Walt, Marc Davis, and every other imagineer who worked on the original Disneyland mansion that was ported over to Orlando.

Everything else, from the Bride being the old lady in the stretching gallery (RIP George) to the wedding ring, is cast member fanfiction that has formed over 40 years.

mouse_luv

I remember reading that the architecture is 1690's upstate New York, which kind of put things in perspective for me. Not really a full backstory, but all I got right now.

Actually, the HM in WDW is a combo of Hudson River Valley architecture and Dutch Gothic style. It's modeled after the Harry Packer Mansion in Jim Thorpe, PA.
898842_81_z.jpg

Can anyone confirm whether the howling can or can't be heard outside the mansion? That's just an integral part of the experience.

It can at times be heard outside of the mansion.

JIMINYCR

Theres a book I just picked up. Haunted Mansion ... Imagineering, a Disney Classic by Jason Surrell. Forwards by
Martin Sklar & Tom Fitzgerald. Tells a lot of interesting background about the creation of the original HM and the new creations. Lots of great pics and drawings that will enthrall the HM fan.

mergatroid

Beat me to it, I was just going to link this video also.

MonorailLover

What does this mean?
This is a joke that the younger population understands. It originally states: "Ain't nobody got time for dat" minutes the top hat and the monocle.

"Ain't Nobody Got Time for That is a viral YouTube video of Kimberly "Sweet Brown" Wilkins which originally aired on Oklahoma City NBC affiliate KFOR-TV, where she escaped a fire in an apartment complex. Wikipedia "

bhg469

The "Official" backstory is...."This Haunted House is a retirement home for the afterlife and 999 ghosts from around the world have come."

That's it.
Straight from the mouths of Walt, Marc Davis, and every other imagineer who worked on the original Disneyland mansion that was ported over to Orlando.

Everything else, from the Bride being the old lady in the stretching gallery (RIP George) to the wedding ring, is cast member fanfiction that has formed over 40 years.
The ring is the thing that kills me. The first time i saw it I was looking right at it and thought I was in the wrong place because it was clearly a metal pole that was cut off.

Then they finally took it out and I thought that was the end of that... nope, they gave people the imaginary ring again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom